Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock G22 Q?'s

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Summit Guns has very nice Gen 4s for 320,00, with box backstraps and mags.

A very attractive price. Perhaps a riff on the "Have a vetted back up gun" idea.

For example, last night I came in from shooting and found that the slidelock and spring were gone from my G19. Easy fix-Monday. Until then, I'm reduced to a Glock 42 and a 442.
    Another option would be to go get the spare G19, today, that you should already be saving up for.

When my G26 (primary carry gun) broke its recoil spring assembly nose earlier this summer, I almost went and got the spare. But I restrained myself and just carried something else from the safe till the replacement part arrived. It was a close thing, though.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunMP357 View Post
    I have been saving my money to buy a SIG P320 in .357 SIG. The LE trade in Glock G22's are very plentiful currently, and I MIGHT want to buy one. My goal is to buy the P320, but I currently have more than enough money to buy a LE trade in along the way, with money left over to still put towards the P320.
    Member DOCGKR, I have been reading your sticky threads. You Sir, have vast amounts of experience and knowledge with firearms and ammunition. I like the fact that you favor the M&P as a great SD gun. I own (2) M&P FS .40 caliber guns (1.0 & 2.0). What really caught my attention is what you stated about the Glock in .40 caliber;
    "Stay away from Glocks in .40 S&W."
    Why is this? I was thinking about buying a LE trade in G22 in either Gen 2, 3, or 4. But, with your great knowledge and experience with firearms, I'm very interested as to WHY you made that statement to stay away from the Glock in .40 caliber??!!??
    I'd like to see the long term results of someone shooting 357sig on the 320 chassis. Other than that, for the 320 get a 9mm.
    If you want to play with 357sig, get a .40 and swap the barrels.
    G22 WML precautions include the extra coil mag spring, not screwing the light on too tight, stick with regular 180gr ammo. They work.
    Change the RSA at specified intervals.

I have a few .40s left, I think all of them have 9mm conversion barrels now. A ~1994 G22 is alive and well after a looooong range life of .40.
    Last edited by ST911; 09-15-2018 at 09:29 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    I have been saving my money to buy a SIG P320 in .357 SIG. The LE trade in Glock G22's are very plentiful currently, and I MIGHT want to buy one. My goal is to buy the P320, but I currently have more than enough money to buy a LE trade in along the way, with money left over to still put towards the P320.
    Member DOCGKR, I have been reading your sticky threads. You Sir, have vast amounts of experience and knowledge with firearms and ammunition. I like the fact that you favor the M&P as a great SD gun. I own (2) M&P FS .40 caliber guns (1.0 & 2.0). What really caught my attention is what you stated about the Glock in .40 caliber;
    "Stay away from Glocks in .40 S&W."
    Why is this? I was thinking about buying a LE trade in G22 in either Gen 2, 3, or 4. But, with your great knowledge and experience with firearms, I'm very interested as to WHY you made that statement to stay away from the Glock in .40 caliber??!!??
    I had a G22 for a while and sold it to buy another G19. If you really like the M&P platform, why not buy another one in .40 or 9mm? Then you'll have one less platform to buy support gear for. If you read older threads, you'll find that the practice of having one gun for training and a duplicate (or near duplicate) for carry is very popular here. You could use a M&P 2.0 in 9mm for practice and carry your .40.

Question

I already have TOO MANY 9mm's. My 1.0 M&P has a factory .357 SIG barrel that will probably never come out. And, I want a SIG P320 in .357 SIG because I have rented one at a range and I like the way it shoots. I also rented one in 9mm and .40 cal. I prefer the .357 SIG.
    If BOO KOO LEO's across America were having so many problems with the G22, where are the reports/articles/feed back? I'm sure they have quirks like any other gun, but from what I'm seeing here is that LEO's lives were in danger every time they had to use their G22......OR, are there A LOT of G22/.40 caliber haters here?

Site Supporter
    I already have TOO MANY 9mm's. My 1.0 M&P has a factory .357 SIG barrel that will probably never come out. And, I want a SIG P320 in .357 SIG because I have rented one at a range and I like the way it shoots. I also rented one in 9mm and .40 cal. I prefer the .357 SIG.
    If BOO KOO LEO's across America were having so many problems with the G22, where are the reports/articles/feed back? I'm sure they have quirks like any other gun, but from what I'm seeing here is that LEO's lives were in danger every time they had to use their G22......OR, are there A LOT of G22/.40 caliber haters here?
    Beaucoup.

I doubt we all hate the G22 or the .40. Doesn’t mean there aren’t problems there. And you can’t have too many 9mms.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Beaucoup.

I doubt we all hate the G22 or the .40. Doesn’t mean there aren’t problems there. And you can’t have too many 9mms.
    TOMATO, TUMOTTO........I say BOO KOO. Thank You.
    And, yes, I have TOO MANY 9mm's. I need to thin out the herd!

Smile

Oh, BTW, I was born in New Orleans. But, being I'm a Coon Ass from La., I say N'awlins. We have OUR own language here in La.
    Last edited by CajunMP357; 09-15-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Site Supporter
    There is plenty of feed back on issues with the .40 caliber Glocks - you are just 10-12 years behind - start by searching PF and the Lightfigter forum. Look for posts by Chuck Haggard - some will be under his old screen name of TPD223. That should get you started.

He was the Range master / Firearms program supervisor for the Topeka KS PD when they transitioned from S&W 3rd Gen 9mm to Glock 22’s.

When .40 first came out in the early 1990’s, Glock was racing to get a .40 cal out. They simply bored out the barrel of a 9mm Glock, changed the breech block dimensions a little and opened up the breech face. They did not add a more capable recoil spring assembly (until the Gen 4 -20 years later) and they did not add any mass to the slide.

As a result the guns beat them selves to death. It’s worse if you don’t stay on top of recoil spring changes. Every 3k for an older .40 or .357. The Glocks in .357 have more durability issues.

Somewhere in the later part of Gen 2, they added a third pin to reinforce the locking block due to .40 related failures.

I have seen several failures in well maintained G22s to include the barrel locking lugs shearing off. I have also seen multiple failures of G23s. The 23 and 32 are simply the least forgiving and least reliable Glocks.

Many PD’s never saw issues with G22 /23/ 31/32 simply because they don’t shoot much. The state minimum here in TX is only 50 rounds per year. My local SO shoots maybe 150- 200 per year.

If you shooting say 5k a year or more your results will vary.

Another issue was malfunctions in Gen 3 Glock 22 & 23 with Weapon Mounted Lights (WML) attached. This was addressed in the Gen 4 Guns by reinforceing the dust cover. The guns would run without a WML but the frames of the G22.3 flexed enough that it impaired the cycle of operation with the WML attached.

If you still want. .40 cal Glock, I recommend a Gen 4 G22 or G35.

If you want a .40 cal police trade in the M&P is a better choice as it was designed around .40. This is also true of the SIG P229/226 40 and the HK USP/USPC/P2000.

If you want a .357 sig then the SIG P229/226 and the HK USP/USPC/P2000 are your best bets.

I can assure you from personal experience both .40 and .357 SIG work on both feral humans and vicious dogs. That said I carry a 9mm by choice.

Unless you are getting free 40/357 there is no real advantage. You get more bang for you buck with 9mm.

Practice / hit placement > Moar Power!

If it makes you happy shoot .357 but it’s gonna cost you in $ and wear and tear on the gun and yourself. My G35s and 23 all sport 9mm conversion barrels.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-15-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    There is plenty of feed back on issues with the .40 caliber Glocks - you are just 10-12 years behind - start by searching PF and the Lightfigter forum. Look for posts by Chuck Haggard - some will be under his own screen name of TPD223. That should get you started.

He was the Range master / Firearms program supervisor for the Topeka KS PD when they transitioned from S&W 3rd Gen 9mm to Glock 22’s.

When .40 first came out in the early 1990’s, Glock was racing to get a .40 cal out. They simply bored out the barrel of a 9mm Glock, changed the breech block dimensions a little and opened up the breech face. They did not add a more capable recoil spring assembly (until the Gen 4 -20 years later) and they did not add any mass to the slide.

As a result the guns beat them selves to death. It’s worse if you don’t stay on top of recoil spring changes. Every 3k for an older .40 or .357. The Glocks in .357 have more durability issues.

Somewhere in the later part of Gen 2, they added a third pin to reinforce the locking block due to .40 related failures.

I have seen several failures in well maintained G22s to include the barrel locking lugs shearing off. I have also seen multiple failures of G23s. The 23 and 32 are simply the least forgiving and least reliable Glocks.

Many PD’s never saw issues with G22 /23/ 31/32 simply because they don’t shoot much. The state minimum here in TX is only 50 rounds per year. My local SO shoots maybe 150- 200 per year.

If you say 5k a year your results will vary.

Another issue was malfunctions in Gen 3 Glock 22 & 23 with Weapon Mounted Lights (WML) attached. This was addressed in the Gen 4 Guns by reinforceing the dust cover. The guns would run without a WML but the frames of the G22.3 flexed enough that it impaired the cycle of operation with the WML attached.

If you still want. .40 cal Glock, I recommend a Gen 4 G22 or G35.

If you want a .40 cal police trade in the M&P is a better choice as it was designed around .40. This is also true of the SIG P229/226 40 and the HK USP/USPC/P2000.

If you want a .357 sig then the SIG P229/226 and the HK USP/USPC/P2000 are your best bets.

I can assure you from personal experience both .40 and .357 SIG work on both feral humans and viscous dogs. That said I carry a 9mm by choice.

Unless you are getting free 40/357 there is no real advantage. You get more bang for you buck with 9mm.

Practice / hit placement > Moar Power!

If it makes you happy shoot .357 but it’s gonna cost you in $ and wear and tear on the gun and yourself. My G35s and 23 all sport 9mm conversion barrels.
    Thank You so much. I found your advice very educating, as well as an asset.

Put those 9mm pistols on your local firearms board at a reasonable price and they will sell fast. I will be watching for them.

User Tag List