Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Glock G22 Q?'s

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    When .40 first came out in the early 1990’s, Glock was racing to get a .40 cal out. They simply bored out the barrel of a 9mm Glock, changed the breech block dimensions a little and opened up the breech face. They did not add a more capable recoil spring assembly (until the Gen 4 -20 years later) and they did not add any mass to the slide.

.. snip ..

Somewhere in the later part of Gen 2, they added a third pin to reinforce the locking block due to .40 related failures.

.. snip..

If you want a .40 cal police trade in the M&P is a better choice as it was designed around .40. This is also true of the SIG P229/226 40 and the HK USP/USPC/P2000.
    1. My .40 Glocks appear to have more mass than their 9mm counterparts. Less machining internally.

2. Did Glock ever commercially release a 2 pin .40?

3. A lot of departments where I live issue M&P .40s. It doesn’t seem they hold up any better than a G22. Agree about the USP and classic Sigs, those guns are tanks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    1. My .40 Glocks appear to have more mass than their 9mm counterparts. Less machining internally.

2. Did Glock ever commercially release a 2 pin .40?

3. A lot of departments where I live issue M&P .40s. It doesn’t seem they hold up any better than a G22. Agree about the USP and classic Sigs, those guns are tanks.
    1) Any difference in weight between comparable 9 and .40 slides will be negligible. weigh them vs a comparable 9mm

2) The early Gen 2 .40s were 2 pin.

3) What are you basing this on ? I am basing this on feed back from the firearms staffs of two 2000 officer police departments in my area which switched from Gen 3 Glock 22s to M&P 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    3) What are you basing this on ? I am basing this on feed back from the firearms staffs of two 2000 officer police departments in my area which switched from Gen 3 Glock 22s to M&P 40s.
    I’ll recant on this. Your sampling is MUCH larger than mine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I’ll recant on this. Your sampling is MUCH larger than mine.
    Our local SO went from G22.3’s to G22.4 but their round count about 1/3 that of the local PD.

Question

Being I don't even need a rail, I should be safe with a Gen 3 G22, correct?
    What's so wrong with the Gen 2 G22?

https://youtu.be/ujsHy6zf5Tg

https://youtu.be/JE0G-gTFJvE

Many folks here with experience on the subject have given you very good advice (i.e. post 32 and others). Add the Indiana State Police to list list of agencies that had problems with the G22 Gen 3. So much so that the ones that had been issued were recalled and replaced with G17 Gen 3s. If memory serves, that happened before they all were even issued. My agency issued them (about 800 pistols at the time) and saw some problems as well. Upon retirement, I purchased my issued weapon with the department patch engraved on the slide and special serial number. I bought it as a memento, not a carry gun. I have found Glocks in 9mm to be far more reliable and durable than those in .40, not to mention easier and cheaper to shoot. I presently carry a Glock 19 Gen 5 and have no concerns about it being up to the job if needed.

We don't care what you buy, we're just providing the info you asked for. However, it seems as if you're still looking for affirmation for your purchase. Brother, if you want one buy it. Sometimes wanting one is enough and as long as you're happy it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunMP357 View Post
    Being I don't even need a rail, I should be safe with a Gen 3 G22, correct?
    What's so wrong with the Gen 2 G22?

https://youtu.be/ujsHy6zf5Tg

https://youtu.be/JE0G-gTFJvE
    As other's have said, plenty of good advice has been proffered to you. You seem dead set on buying a .40 caliber gun so just go buy one at this point. Whatever you buy it will hardly matter as you do not seem intent on making an optimal choice.

There is NOTHING to be gained by buying a .40 caliber weapon over a 9mm provided ammo selection is on point. If you want to buy the .40 caliber because you "like the way it shoots" then rock on but this thread should die with this post as there is really nothing more that the hive can contribute to try and sway you towards making a "better" decision.

My own experience for what its worth:

My first gen 3 22 duty gun was a steaming pile of shit. It was issued to me with #8 followers and old single side mag release cutout magazine bodies. The pistol had numerous feedway stoppages and would barely run our frangible ammunition. I begged and pleaded with my armory staff to update the RSA (yep, i had to beg) and also to issue me new magazines to compliment the newest generation magazines I went out and purchased myself. The feedway stoppages continued even after the updated magazines were introduced and a new RSA was installed in the firearm. My confidence was shot (pun intended).

At this time, I whined, yep, whined until I got a new firearm issued to me, a Gen 4 22. I run it with a surefire X300, new, current generation magazines and I replace the RSA as often as my armory will allow me since im not allowed to work on my own gun. Yep, replacing the RSA counts as "work". I trash can my compliment of carry magazines every six months by putting them into my training rotation and purchase three new magazines to carry on duty. I do not trust the feed lips on .40 caliber magazine bodies as loading 15 rounds into these things stresses the hell out of everything. I find magazines tend to bulge and the top round will literally shake out of the magazine if I flip the magazine the right way. When fully loaded with 15 rounds, there is ZERO extra space inside of the magazine body.

I do this more out of paranoia than anything. Your mileage may vary and im sure others varies as well.

Lastly, ill provide you with my shooting and handling impressions.

I run a 9mm Glock faster and more confidently than I do my 22 on every drill or standard I have ever shot. Do i run the 22 to a level of competency that I am "ok" with? Yes, but in the back of my mind, it nags at me that im more competent with a 9mm gun.

Seating .40 caliber fully loaded glock magazines on a closed slide is an exercise in annoyance. The gun requires far too much pressure to seat said mag since there is zero negative space on the top round in the mag. Speaking of which, doing this requires that I replace said top duty round in the gun every few weeks as the case of the top round ends up denting due to the pressure exerted on it by the slide.

I can go on and on about the little details that make the .40 caliber guns an exercise in annoyance but I doubt that you care about these little things. As I said earlier, if you want a .40 caliber Glock, go buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I agree. Even if you get the 22 or 23 for $300 or so, if your idea is to get a conversion barrel, they run from $100-$200. My LGS has a used 17.4 with night sights marked at $425. I got my 26.3 for $360 from the same shop. If your goal is to shoot 9mm, it just makes more sense to shop for and buy a 9mm rather than pick up a cheap .40 and spend the difference making it into a 9mm.

If you just want a cheap .40 mule for in case of another ammo crunch, get an M&P, SD40VE, or a G22.4 and knock yourself out.
    Not trying to hijack, but I am looking for a ammo crunch pistol and was wondering about the SD40VE. Is it build for .40, or is it just a bored out SD9VE?

I find the gen4 22 and 35 to be excellent .40 cal Glocks. I would stay away from the earlier gens if you want to run a WML, but a gen3 .40 is a decent beater gun otherwise.

My only complaints with the .40 Glocks are the magazines do not seem to be as reliable as the 9mm's. They are more prone to spring weakening over time and they tend to "swell" and not drop free as easily after a few years of use.

Site Supporter
    I AM VERY LATE TO THE PARTY. I started carrying a Gen 3 G35 in 2005 to coincide with:
    1. My 40th Birthday
    2. The shift away from 9mm to .40 cal by client agencies such that if I wanted to shoot with said agencies, I needed a .40
    3. Wanting to carry something that carried like a 5 inch all steel 1911 in terms of general size.

My gun has a made on date that preceded the WML issues. I would not run a Gen 3 .22/23/35 that had a made on date past mine with a light given those well documented issues by Chuck/TPD223, and others.
    I would run a Gen 4 Used 22 or 35 with a light presuming a new RSA, new mags or mags with updated springs/followers, after a few hundred rounds of vetting.

If I was new to the .40 cal scene and did not have so much time in glocks (1989), I would look very hard at a platform that was engineered to be a .40 cal from the ground up i.e. M&P if .40 cal was driving the train.

I have stated for the last 10 ish years, If I had to feed and water my own gun today, I would buy a Glock 17/19 or an M&P 9mm, get some quality instruction and drive on. I like a .40 primarily because that just happens to be the round I have the most time on because I was/am fortunate enough to shoot a lot of it w various agencies/agents.

Indeed, knowing I know now, I am very intrigued by an M&P 2.0, in 9mm, with a frame mounted safety, and apex trigger bits. Arguably being able to configure something with a reliable, predictable trigger,
    in the 4-5 pound range with minimal take up and a fairly short reset, for 600-700 all day long. I suppose a CZ 75 or SP might fit that as well.

YMMV Greatly,

david of vcdgrips
    www.vcdgrips.com
    "get a better grip on your working gun"

User Tag List