Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pistol-training.com has been Hacked

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Not to get too far afield, but...

So? People send an email, they expect a response. Corollary: people send stupid emails, they still expect detailed thought out responses. I listed a contact email on a previous (pre-"blog") site and it was nearly the death of me.
    I guess I've never felt obligated to respond to stupid emails. I try to respond to most queries I get, but I think people understand you're a busy guy.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I guess I've never felt obligated to respond to stupid emails. I try to respond to most queries I get, but I think people understand you're a busy guy.
    Do you owe Tom an apology too?

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    Do you owe Tom an apology too?
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

"php form generator" or something like that.

Spoken like someone who's never received 100 "what gun iz best?" emails per day from random strangers...

But your point is well made and perhaps it's something I'll have the WordPress gnomes look into...
    Typically you would put some type of PoC on your WhoIs information for your domain name (link) --WhoIS contacts are usually shielded from crawlers looking for email accounts to spam, and your random strangers asking stupid questions... This would allow corp security guys like me to contact you when you site gets whacked and is being used illicitly.

You can edit your WhoIS information at your domain registar, which looks like it is Fast Domain/URL Jet.

-Josh

Helpful advice

Not to get too far afield, but...

So? People send an email, they expect a response. Corollary: people send stupid emails, they still expect detailed thought out responses. I listed a contact email on a previous (pre-"blog") site and it was nearly the death of me.
    When I read this AoM article, I thought of your comments.

Todd, Caleb, and others do a great job being helpful and patiently bearing us novices. I know it must become arduous answering the question, "What is better 9mm or .45 acp?" ad nauseam.

Thank you for all the good you do.
    "Keep your powder dry and your hatchet scoured."

There is also a convention to have a domain name/security page to allow reporting of vulnerabilities, incidents, etc. These typically connect to a contact form (which may create a different kind of expectation, one not tied to the million random clueless gun related emails....)

User Tag List