Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RMR and Astigmatism

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    One thing that helps some is to look at the target and not the dot.
    Correct. That's what you're supposed to do. There's a bit of a learning curve to get past if you've got years of focusing on the front sight.

While I do not have astigmatism, the dot blooms slightly when I crank it up past about half brightness. So I don't see much of a difference between either dot size at that point.

I'm a firm believer that red dots on handguns are the way to go. In fact, they're especially beneficial if you have vision problems. Just look at the target and put the dot where you want to hit.

Thanks for all the info guys. A few more quest. On an type 2 RMR can you lock the brightness to one specific setting or do I need to get the original version? Also I gather from what I’m reading here that with astigmatism I should go with the 3.25 dot is that the consensus?

Site Supporter
    I am running a 3.25, for what its worth. And yes, manually adjusting the dot locks the brightness in to where you leave it. I have no problem with the auto adjust. My RMR is still on its original battery, and has only been turned off for dry fire iron sight practice.

I also like Suarez' approach of alternative sighting (using the window, ears, or concave top for large targets at close range) and using suppressor hight iron sights to learn how to find the dot and to daily verify zero. If you can tolerate the fanboys, his site and blog have tons of information. I have several of his books, videos, and whatnot, and I read his blog and forum, I just don't participate.I also have a lot of his small parts in my gun, and if I can get past his need to have his name on everything I am considering his slides and barrels.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 09-15-2018 at 01:36 PM.

I have a type 1 3.25moa jobber and do notice some blooming without corrective lenses. It’s not bad. Let’s say I’m not missing stuff cause of the optic. The blooming is identical to the blooming I get with my carbine running a 2moa Aimpoint. With my glasses on, the dot be a dot unless I crank up the brightness.

WRT to the brightness controls, I believe the type 2 reverts back to automatic after a set time period, whereas the type 1 needs to be manually placed back into auto mode. Ch close the Trijicon website though, cause I’m going from memory.

I have a couple different stigmatisms and I end up seeing an Aimpoint T1 dot very much like a semi-colon laying on its right side would look.

MRDS have a different dot, or at the very least I see them differently. Whether powered all the way up & blooming or not I just see a dot with a RMR and DPP.

eta: Iirc, the different dot is because the Aimpoint has multiple projectors and the other have one.

While I don't know what you specific stigmatism is, based on my limited experience I do not believe you'll have an issue seeing the dot.
    Last edited by Erick Gelhaus; 09-15-2018 at 07:48 PM. Reason: add info

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    I as well suffer from it. If I turn the dot up higher it does bloom a wee bit on my rmr 2. But at lower settings it barely bothers me and is very visible. I also ordered the 3.25 dot to help with this.

At 50 yards steel is stupid simple. That is as far as I have been able to take it too so far. I love it and have not regretted it a bit.
    This is my experience as well, but with type 1 RMRs (which are going pretty inexpensive on the used market now). I found the 6.5MOA dot to be difficult to use due to the starbursting, especially if I had the brightness cranked up (going from outdoor range to dryfire in the house).

I settled on the RM06 manual adjustment type over the RM01 which sometimes gave unsatisfactory dot sizes(therefore increased startburst) due the the auto-brightness adjustment. I find with the RM06 & WML I'm able to better control how my eyes perceive the dot. If I have the brightness adjusted for outdoor use and perform dryfire in the house, I can use the WML to "shrink the dot" by increasing the amount of ambient light. Just something I've found that works for me. This has also helped me find a good brightness compromise so I don't have to worry about tabbing it up or down based on where I'm at or going. My WMLs are all at or less than 500lm.

Aimpoints (R1/H1/T1/CompM4/PRO) bloom more to me than the Trijicon RMRs do with similar dot sizes.

I as well have the rm06 model. I like the manual adjustments and it has worked every time.

My friend had his set for the auto feature and it stopped automatically adjusting. So has to send it in. He has since switched to the manual so he can keep running it til I send him my spare rmr2. So he can get his fixed.

Site Supporter
    In my limited testing of a new sample ACRO, I note no bloom or dot distortion with my astigmatic eyes.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

My RMR type 1 is the 6moa auto adjust model mounted on a G17MOS. During outdoor daytime use it works great and appears as a very clean dot, but in lower light it blooms badly. This doesn’t effect most close range shooting but it’s frustrating. If I’m wearing my glasses it’s perfect like daytime. I’m guessing the 3.whatever MOA model would be better, but so far i’m Still pretty happy with the 6MOA RMR and I think the auto adjust works pretty well to mitigate the problems with my astigmatism. I think it would be harder to set a brightness that would work in as many situations as the auto adjust works in.

I’ve only been seriously working with a dot for a few weeks total (off and on over a year) but shot a steel challenge match last weekend and I was seriously impressed with it, as were several other people who tried it.

All that said, I’m very excited to check out the ACRO and tomorrow I’ll be spending some time with Mr. Dobbs so I’m sure I’ll have some more thoughts then!

I had the opportunity to try several MRDS sights today, including the ACRO, and I was surprised at what I found. First, I strongly prefer the 6.5MOA dot on an RMR for my astigmatic (word? don't know) eyes... at least in daylight uncorrected. I also really like the auto-adjust on my RMR. I tried some of the manual adjust models and while I think they solve some of the problems the auto-adjust has, they create other problems, and I'm not sure which set of problems is easier to overcome.

I didn't like the DeltaPoint Pro or Romeo-1, but I'll have some serious trigger time with a Romeo-1 over the next couple days so I'll have to give an update after Wednesday. The ACRO P-1 performed very well. I liked the window and the dot was clear for me. Adjustment isn't as easy as the RMR manual models (obviously) but it's certainly robust looking and if it does what it's advertised to do it will be a solid option. For an exposed/duty optic, it might just be the game changer.

User Tag List