Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RMR and Astigmatism

RMR and Astigmatism

Thinking of putting an RMR on my Gen 4 -19 but red dots starburst on me. Should I just stick to iron sights or can someone like me run an optic on a pistol successfully. I am able to run them on my carbine but I’ve never handled a pistol with one on it.

Following...
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Thinking of putting an RMR on my Gen 4 -19 but red dots starburst on me. Should I just stick to iron sights or can someone like me run an optic on a pistol successfully. I am able to run them on my carbine but I’ve never handled a pistol with one on it.
    I as well suffer from it. If I turn the dot up higher it does bloom a wee bit on my rmr 2. But at lower settings it barely bothers me and is very visible. I also ordered the 3.25 dot to help with this.

At 50 yards steel is stupid simple. That is as far as I have been able to take it too so far. I love it and have not regretted it a bit.

Site Supporter
    I have progressively worsening astigmatism that my Dr seeks....lets say creative ways to compensate for, knowing what I do for a living... She is trying, but the reults are lacking. Last month I shot quals with both an RMR'd G17 and a M&P9. The M&P has standard issue night sights. I had a much easier time with the glock than the M&P. I find the M&P sights small and crowded. The dot, when blooming, is still easier to use. Interstingly enough, I also have Suarez Suppressor sights on the gun as well, and the tall, thin front sight is easier to see in the tall, wide notch than the stock sights on the Smith.

Just one guy's experience.

pat

Thanks for the info Pat.

Aimpoints bloom on me. 2moa RDS work fine though. Rmrs bloom less.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    For iron sights on long guns, I find ghost ring setups work pretty well, where I have issues with notch and post.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    I have both a Type 1 and Type 2 RMR 3.25 MOA Dots. I too have Astigmatism as well as being cross dominant. Mine work great for me, but will bloom if the setting is too high. Just lock your setting to the brightness which works best for your eyes. If it blooms in a close range defensive situation it will probably appear to be the size of the 6 MOA Dot. YMMV Hope this helps.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

I’ve only shot a mag or two through an RMR’d Glock and found the dot did not bloom for me at all. It was a perfect round circle and I had never seen that before because all other red dots I’ve tried appear with varying degrees of distortion. I only tried this gun outside and in my experience the distortion is always worse under indoor lighting conditions compared to outdoors. I did not get a chance to look through the RMR indoors.

My posts only represent my opinions and do not necessarily reflect the official policies and opinions of my employer. Any obvious spelling errors are likely the result of a tiny iPhone keyboard and autocorrect.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

One thing that helps some is to look at the target and not the dot.

User Tag List