Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W K/L Hammer not cocking right

Quote Originally Posted by AdioSS View Post
    I filed down the stirrup end of the Wolff spring and now it works like it is supposed to.

So, I moved to the Model 66. That was a super easy fix. The strain screw had been backed out quite a bit. Screwing it back in fixed the hitch I was feeling. Naturally the trigger pull is heavier.
    Good luck with those. Although I expect you may experience some light strikes with that 686.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by AdioSS View Post
    I filed down the stirrup end of the Wolff spring and now it works like it is supposed to.

So, I moved to the Model 66. That was a super easy fix. The strain screw had been backed out quite a bit. Screwing it back in fixed the hitch I was feeling. Naturally the trigger pull is heavier.
    It’s a good idea to loc-tite strain screws and screw then down all the way.

Pretty sure I was the one who backed out that strain screw a while back...

I did have light strikes, so I popped out a primer from a spent round and wedged it onto the strain screw. No issues now with the Federal ammo I’m using

Go ahead and locktite the strain screw anyway. It's just a given that it'll back off on it's own in time. Blue works fine. It also needs to be screwed in all the way to shoulder up properly, hence guys filing the length off some.

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    Good luck with those. Although I expect you may experience some light strikes with that 686.
    Yep. I even put in a longer firing pin & am still getting light strikes with Suprema ammo. Luckily it’s still 100% with the Federal stuff I carry.

I also have a Wilson Combat reduced power spring set. I’ll try swapping that in to see if there’s any improvement at all.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Go ahead and locktite the strain screw anyway. It's just a given that it'll back off on it's own in time. Blue works fine. It also needs to be screwed in all the way to shoulder up properly, hence guys filing the length off some.
    Strain screw loosening is one problem that I've not encountered with S&W revolvers since having owned many since 1970. Mainspring tension against the screw prevents this. However, backing off on the screw to achieve lighter pulls will allow it to loosen further because less
    mainspring tension exists to force the leaf spring against the screw.

About light strikes. If the revolver was bought used, it may have a lighter after market mainspring. Or, the original spring may have been bent to lessen to achieve a lighter pull. Too, thinning the original has been done for this purpose. Another cause is hammer drag against the frame or side plate. I urge you to dissemble , clean, and reassemble the revolver. If you are not comfortable with the task, ask a gunsmith to do this. You can buy a new spring and have him swap it at the same time. There's always a good chance that the original strain screw has been ground to reduce its length. This trick is my guess for your light strike cause.
    Last edited by willie; 09-22-2018 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Addendum

I’m definitely not afraid to take it apart. This was less than 2 days after I got it.

And I’m guessing you didn’t read the thread any because I talked about the aftermarket spring I put in & am going to swap in a different aftermarket spring.
    Last edited by AdioSS; 09-23-2018 at 09:18 PM.

Site Supporter
    When I installed a Wolff target mainspring in an older K frame, I had zero misfires but did observe that primer indentations were more shallow. The paperwork with my spring advised that it not be used in a duty weapon.

Unhappy

Tried the Wilson Combat reduced power mainspring with the primer cap on the strain screw. Still had a FTF from 1 out of 6 of the Suprema ammo I tried.

User Tag List