Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dropping the mag with a Glock.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    When I was shooting glocks I had to shift the pistol inward and left a tad to easily/quickly get the mag release.

I did this by doing 2 things
    1) pushing the slide in that direction with my trigger finger indexed on the slide
    2)Also using my middle finger on the trigger guard to push in that direction

Obviously with my right hand/fingers. I also had to open my middle finger and thumb and slightly loosen my grip while doing this. Probably isn't/wasn't ideal but it worked and I just put my grip back to normal after the reload while pressing the gun back out.

Hope that somehow made sense to someone.

YMMV.
    This method seems like it would work with the various startle responses and the convulsing fist would hold the weapon more securely. The same reason I very much like Massad Ayoob's stressfire revolver reload. Unlike the stressfire revolver reload (I would have to do some serious dry work to confirm or deny this gut reaction) it would be a lot of work to break down enough to effectively teach. It looks like so ething that you have developdd into a workable solution, and I like the security it would provide. Not sure for me and mine it would be worth switching to.

pat

What about switching around the mag release for a lefty and using your middle finger or index finger?

The "flip" has been my method of choice on Glocks for a while as well. I didn't even know it had a name, it was just something I instinctively did.

The Vickers/TangoDown mag release may be worth looking at too. The curved profile, IMO, makes the "flip" reload a lot more natural.

The Flip technique is the fastest by far because the support hand can immediately go for a spare magazine. If you use your support hand to aid in re-positioning the gun that costs time.

Extended magazine releases can have consequences so one must be careful and determine if there are any negative impacts. Unintended mag release being one. Extended mag releases do not always result in the ability to release the magazine without re-positioning the hand for everyone.

I prefer the Glock extended mag release with the ridges melted down so it doesn’t irritate my sensitive belly when I carry AIWB. Also the extended Glock slide release.

Name:  0C977E6A-3310-4694-9779-94BCCAB2D214.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  56.5 KB

You do need to test - extended controls can cause issues if you aren’t used to them.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    The Flip technique is the fastest by far because the support hand can immediately go for a spare magazine. If you use your support hand to aid in re-positioning the gun that costs time.

Extended magazine releases can have consequences so one must be careful and determine if there are any negative impacts. Unintended mag release being one. Extended mag releases do not always result in the ability to release the magazine without re-positioning the hand for everyone.
    I don't like the flip technique as much for teaching a group of disinterested cops. The time lost is not a huge issue, given their manipulation skill, and I prefer that they keep as firm a grip and as many hands as possible on the gun. I also teach those with short digits the TLG slide release tension, ranther than the over the top slide drop.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I prefer the Glock extended mag release with the ridges melted down so it doesn’t irritate my sensitive belly when I carry AIWB. Also the extended Glock slide release.

Name:  0C977E6A-3310-4694-9779-94BCCAB2D214.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  56.5 KB

You do need to test - extended controls can cause issues if you aren’t used to them.
    Do you happen to know what the part number is on that mag release?

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Do you happen to know what the part number is on that mag release?
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...-polymer-black

Midway: Product #: 170748
    Glock #: 1981S
    UPC #: 19770617074
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I have the same issue. Maybe worse than you I’m close to midget fingers. If using a gun with the release on the left side of the frame, I end up using my trigger finger (on the frame or slide) to push the gun and pivot it so I can reach the mag release.

On my guns, I just run the mag release on the right side of the frame and use my index finger to release the mag. Same as I do with paddle releases.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...-polymer-black

Midway: Product #: 170748
    Glock #: 1981S
    UPC #: 19770617074

Thanks. Bummer I can't use that, being all gen 5.

User Tag List