Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dropping the mag with a Glock.

Dropping the mag with a Glock.

I am using Glock 19.5 and 19x's. All have the 8794 mag catch, which is slightly extended over the stock one that came on the 19.5. I am right-handed.

I have smaller hands and short thumbs. I cannot drop the mag by simply pressing with my thumb. To make a long story short I have tried several techniques and the one I am currently training with involves pulling the front of the trigger guard to the left with my left hand, which drives the mag release into my right thumb. It works reliably, but seems dreadfully slow. I suspect an SO might take exception to that in a match at some point too. I am at a point of wondering if I should try a different technique, train more with this one, or try to change some hardware. Perhaps a more extended release?

Any help or advice is appreciated. Links to old threads on this issue would be awesome too.

My wife uses this mag release:

https://www.tyrantcnc.com/collection...gazine-release

Something I have found that is very helpful is to pivot the gun in your hand and then go to the mag release button.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My wife uses this mag release:

https://www.tyrantcnc.com/collection...gazine-release

Something I have found that is very helpful is to pivot the gun in your hand and then go to the mag release button.
    Does the Tyrant part tear up your magazines at all?

I have taken to wearing a small band aid on the finger in the area that hits the mag release. Seems to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to shift every pistol I've ever shot to hit the mag release. In a two hand hold I shift it with the left hand when reaching for the full mag. With a SHO hold it takes a little flick to hit it. Doesn't slow me down at all.

I wouldn't go to a big mag release.

^^This. And I have XL hands and crazy monkey thumbs. I actually dremel down the mag button on all of my Glocks as I'm much more concerned with an inadvertent mag release than I am the need for a speed reload.

Site Supporter
    The method you are currently using is my go-to for teaching shooters with short digits. I do, however, teach cops and not competitors. It may well be a liability in competition but I see no problem with using it on the street. It can be done vey quickly and subtly.

pat

When I was shooting glocks I had to shift the pistol inward and left a tad to easily/quickly get the mag release.

I did this by doing 2 things
    1) pushing the slide in that direction with my trigger finger indexed on the slide
    2)Also using my middle finger on the trigger guard to push in that direction

Obviously with my right hand/fingers. I also had to open my middle finger and thumb and slightly loosen my grip while doing this. Probably isn't/wasn't ideal but it worked and I just put my grip back to normal after the reload while pressing the gun back out.

Hope that somehow made sense to someone.

YMMV.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

If you asked me how I dropped a magazine, it would be like asking the centipede how he walks on all those legs.
    I'd have to think about it too hard and lose the reflex.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I do the flip, as probably a lot of people do, as demonstrated at 2:04.

https://youtu.be/VfIaMB1TvLI

User Tag List