Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ID this revo

Thank you everyone for the information and the compliments. This was gifted to me yesterday by my Uncle, a 2nd generation NY cop. I’ll never trade/sell it, but I don’t keep any guns that are display pieces only. I need to dig through my grip casket...I think I have some magnas and a grip adapter; I’ll post pics later today.

I keep wadcutters in everything...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Thank you everyone for the information and the compliments. This was gifted to me yesterday by my Uncle, a 2nd generation NY cop. I’ll never trade/sell it, but I don’t keep any guns that are display pieces only. I need to dig through my grip casket...I think I have some magnas and a grip adapter; I’ll post pics later today.

Honestly, that just makes it cooler.

Site Supporter
    Having ditched rubber for exposed backstrap wood on most of my other revolvers, I suggest keeping the Pachmayrs on this gun. Unlike larger guns, hand fit is good with a covered backstrap even with my hands, which I believe to be smaller than yours. Unless you are going to pocket carry it, those grips will work well for everything else.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Is it normal to have registration marks "Marcas Registradas" in Spanish engraved on the gun?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Is it normal to have registration marks "Marcas Registradas" in Spanish engraved on the gun?
    Depends on the era of the gun’s production, but yes, that is normal. I have one pre-war Kframe without it, but all my post-war guns (post 1970, in actual fact) have the “Marcas Registradas” line.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Yes. Post-war, when a number of Spanish knock-offs began to be imported into the US or where brought back by returning GIs, Smith & Wesson began to mark their guns in an attempt to both deter counterfeiting and to allow a buyer to determine if a gun was counterfeited.

I tried about 14 sets of j frame RB stocks on it last night, to no avail. The frame is approximately 1/4” shorter than the current production j frame, and appears to also taper slightly. But the Pachs are GTG, and I don’t pocket carry, although I probably should, since I wear Duluth pants/shorts, about 99% of the time.

I tried about 14 sets of j frame RB stocks on it last night, to no avail. The frame is approximately 1/4” shorter than the current production j frame, and appears to also taper slightly. But the Pachs are GTG, and I don’t pocket carry, although I probably should, since I wear Duluth pants/shorts, about 99% of the time.

Oh yes. I forgot about this “Baby Chiefs” as they are sometimes called used I-frame “Terrier” stocks. Later the grip was lengthened to the J-frame dimension (around the time the trigger guard was enlarged too). Look for Smith I-frame grips and you should find a pair that fits.

Realistically, early Chiefs were just Terrier I-Frames, with the cylinder window lengthened and a .38 Special cylinder fitted.

ETA: These are the type you're looking for - https://www.gunbroker.com/item/783182454
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 09-15-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Gotcha! Thanks Rob!

@Sherman A. House DDS

Since you have "Baby Chief" - you should acquire these Ropers. Talk about slick.

User Tag List