Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ID this revo

ID this revo

I acquired this today. Is it, “just,” a Model 36 Chief’s Special? The serial number is 8xxx. FOUR digits.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool, a 5-screw symmetrical flat latch!

The serial and cylinder release make it a pre-36 Chief's Special. I can't remember off the top of my head which year the Model 36 designation came out I want to say '54? But there were two flat latch models, the symmetrical has the mounting screw close to the middle of the latch, the "non-symmetrical" has the screw more towards the front. The non-symmetrical flat-latch is the later of the two models. I'd guess you scored yourself a 1950-1951 vintage Chief's Special there, Doc.

A very solid piece.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Cool, a 5-screw symmetrical flat latch!

The serial and cylinder release make it a pre-36 Chief's Special. I can't remember off the top of my head which year the Model 36 designation came out I want to say '54? But there were two flat latch models, the symmetrical has the mounting screw close to the middle of the latch, the "non-symmetrical" has the screw more towards the front. The non-symmetrical flat-latch is the later of the two models. I'd guess you scored yourself a 1950-1951 vintage Chief's Special there, Doc.

A very solid piece.
    S&Wstarted using model numbers in 1957.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Yup, I agree that's a pre-Model 36, known as a Chief's Special and the SN would put it at approximately early 1952 production (as per the Standard Catalog of S&W). Very sweet, but please, Doc, ditch the Pachys for a nice set of S&W diamond magnas!

ID it? You have a super cool, retro J-frame Chief's Special (or earlier) which would be awesome withe wadcutters, wooden grips, and a Tyler T-grip.

Just remember, the emphasis is on "super cool" and "J-frame", which you already know. The rest, it's all trappings.

Quote Originally Posted by Det1397 View Post
    Yup, I agree that's a pre-Model 36, known as a Chief's Special and the SN would put it at approximately early 1952 production (as per the Standard Catalog of S&W). Very sweet, but please, Doc, ditch the Pachys for a nice set of S&W diamond magnas!
    Yup. Also has the small trigger guard as compared to later Chief’s Special models.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Fate View Post
    ID it? You have a super cool, retro J-frame Chief's Special (or earlier) which would be awesome withe wadcutters, wooden grips, and a Tyler T-grip.

Just remember, the emphasis is on "super cool" and "J-frame", which you already know. The rest, it's all trappings.
    Could go even more old school - https://www.gunbroker.com/item/784629906 A Pachmayr grip adapter.

Site Supporter
    Neat gun.

Very nice score, Dr House.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

As an earlier poster just said:" J frame Magnas and a Tyler T". This is where the WC shines. standard pressure.

User Tag List