Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting accessory question

Site Supporter

Hunting accessory question

I am going hunting in Wyoming again this year - mule deer tag. I have a question for the more experienced hunters. We will be walking a lot and I will have a light to medium rucksack on. I will need access to my binoculars and my laser range finder. What technique do you use to balance pack straps, rifle sling, bino straps, and laser range finder "dummy cord"?

Ask three hunters and you'll get five answers. You just have to figure it out for yourself.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    I hike a lot to get to vantage points for glassing, to hunt different mountains, etc. Assuming you’re talking big game.

I use an elastic figure 8 bino harness. That’s the only way I’ve found to be tolerable for carrying them ready for use, anyway. That way they don’t swing around, they don’t get tangled up in other gear, but just have to be grabbed to look at something.

I haven’t found a satisfactory way to hang my rangefinder ready to use while I hike. I haven’t found it that important - if I have time to use it, I’ll have time to get it out. If an animal is close enough that I won’t have time to get it out, I shouldn’t need to use it anyway.

For the past ten years or so, I’ve been using a quick adjust web sling. I put a padded leather sling on my rifle this year. We’ll see if I like it.

Binos go on first, then pack with chest strap latched, then rifle in hand or on shoulder. Tripod for glassing is in or strapped to pack.

Site Supporter
    I wear my binos; the range finder goes in my day pack. Checkout hill people gear kit bags. (They are making a run of orange kit bags soon). I took a tripod on an antelope hunt. I ditched it after the first day. Bipods, slings and walking sticks are all useful for steadying your aim. I suggest taking your binos and ruck for several hikes. Practice glassing and lasing objects throughout the day. I cannot recommend getting good binos enough. I have a pair of Leicas I bought used. Good luck hunting.

Hunting accessory question

I can find links a bit later, but I have a bungee cord harness for my bino’s with a QD attachment for my rangefinder. Regarding rifle slings, a tip I picked up somewhere was with the rifle slung (standard American carry), route the sling under the chest strap of your pack. This will keep it in place as you’re hiking. I’m also a fan of the kit bags, but I can’t fit my binoculars in my snubby kit bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LJP; 09-11-2018 at 07:02 AM.

Here’s the link to what I mentioned in my post above.

https://rickyoungoutdoors.com/bino-harness/

And here’s a photo of my Steiners and rangefinder on the setup.

Might be something to look at. I haven’t yet used it for long hikes, but for the price, I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Ask three hunters and you'll get five answers. You just have to figure it out for yourself.
    Looking back, I realize that this answer isn't as helpful as I thought it would be. My SOP for this stuff is follows:
    • I use an elastic figure-eight strap for binoculars. You have to fiddle with it to find the right place for them to hang so they don't bang into your rifle. I put them on first, then my ruck.
    • I prefer to have my rifle in my hands most of the time. If the rifle is in my hands, then it's in Condition 1. I have to sling it, then it's in Condition 3.
    • I prefer to have a shooting sling on my rifle. I've worked out something like the Rhodesian sling using a really long cheap nylon sling. I keep the extra length out of the way, but the length really helps when I need to carry the rifle diagonally across my back. I hate getting strangled by a sling that's too short when I'm packing out meat, riding a mountain bike, etc.
    • Rangefinder carry is based on terrain and vegetation. I leave it at home when I hunt in very thick brush where a rangefinder is all but useless. In open country, I use it to construct a mental range card once I set up in a place where I'm going to spend some time glassing an area. I rarely need it in a hurry, so I keep it in a pocket on my vest, in its case, and dummy corded in for safety.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter

AGC Bino Harness

This AGC bino harness is very useful: https://www.blackovis.com/alaska-gui...x-bino-harness. In it I keep my Zeiss binos, game call, licenses, range finder, Outdoor Edge Razor Lite knife, and some etc. The binos are well protected from dirt and moisture yet, quickly accessed. It carries well, once adjusted. Best of luck to you. ELN

I have tried almost every way of carrying binos and a rangefinder. I most like to wear my binoculars on a traditional strap over one shoulder (like a woman wears a purse). They swing up to your face very nice and stay out of the way while moving. I wear the rangefinder on a lanyard around my neck when in a tree stand. If I’m mobile I will wear it just like the binos, but On the opposite side.

This doesn’t work too well while wearing a backpack.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    This AGC bino harness is very useful: https://www.blackovis.com/alaska-gui...x-bino-harness. In it I keep my Zeiss binos, game call, licenses, range finder, Outdoor Edge Razor Lite knife, and some etc. The binos are well protected from dirt and moisture yet, quickly accessed. It carries well, once adjusted. Best of luck to you. ELN
    I really like the appearance of this AGC bino harness and bag. Does anyone have another suggestion for different brand or model? Thanks!

User Tag List