Thread: Another PSA deal - 224V upper plus ammo

Site Supporter

Another PSA deal - 224V upper plus ammo

I took the plunge and I ordered a 20 inch 224V upper and 200 rounds of 224V 90gr Fusion for about $476 shipped (Live in GA - 6% Tax). Free shipping. Based on ammoseek, 200 rounds of 224V Federal Fusion = $174 plus shipping. There is also $5 per box rebate on this ammo. My math is 476 - $50 - $174 = $about $250 for the complete upper. If you are not in GA and do not pay sales tax, the deal is even better.

I heard some rumblings on issues with "gen 1" 224V barrels having issues with heavy bullets due to issues with chamber reamers. I will see how this barrel shoots - if it shoots 55s to 77s well I will be very happy.
    Last edited by ranger; 09-13-2018 at 04:43 PM.

If you want/need more, SG Ammo is also running a special on 75g $87.90/200 + $12 shipping: https://www.sgammo.com/product/224-v...gle-ammo-ae224
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    The PSA 224V upper and the 200 rounds of ammunition arrived today - ordered 13th arrived 18th - not bad. I am not an AR15 armorer - first glance the upper seems fine. Comes with 20 inch SS 1-7 barrel - will see how well is shoots 90 grain bullets but should be fine for 80s and lower. Has generic upper including bolt carrier assembly for 224v (6.8). Does come with an adjustable gas block. The freefloat rail system is nice and is marked as a Midwest Industries part.

I have an extra Vortex Viper Gen 1 PST 6-24x50 MRAD, 30mm rings, plus a GG&G extended AR base on hand. I also have some Federal 224V 75 TMJ on hand to try. Hope to try it out this weekend. Goal for this upper is shooting steel targets plus possibly varmint or prairie dog hunting.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Site Supporter
    Mounted scope to 224V upper today. Had a used Vortex Viper Gen 1 PST 6-24x50 FFP MRAD, used TSP 30mm rings (medium height?), and GG&G long rail adapter on hand. Used a rifle lower that I have been using with 20 inch 6.5 Grendel and heavy barrel 20 inch 223 uppers. Lower has a Lancer carbon fiber rifle stock (A1 length) built on a PSA lower kit except a Geisselle G2S 2 stage trigger.

Went to range and zero'd at 100 yards with Federal 224V 75 grain ammo (the cheapest 224V offering from Federal). I shot one five shot group at 100 yards that was 1 inch with horizontal dispersion and minimal vertical dispersion. Shot off bench with front and rear bags. I think I can tighten the groups up with me putting forth a better effort - I also want to try some reloads with Nosler 80 and 77 Custom Competition OTM projectiles I have on hand.

I went to the 300 yard range and dialed based on the Hornady APP on my phone for 1st round hits on the 8 inch, 6 inch, and 4 inch steel.

Finished day at the 500 yard range. Again dialed with Hornady APP and got first round hit on 12 inch steel then went 5 for 5 more. I was 1 for 3 for the 6 inch plate at 500 yards this evening - getting dark.

Only shot 40 rounds of factory Federal 224V 75 FMJ but it was flawless. Used a 6.5G 10 round mag I had on hand, did not dig out a 6.8 mag (I have a 14.5 with pinned AAC flash-hider 6.8 upper also).

Not sure what to think about 224V yet. It seems to be 200-300 fps faster than 223 with 75+/- projectiles. Recoil is not an issue and did not seem to be much different from 223 in a similar rifle set up. This particular upper is pretty light - I am wondering if it I should put a lighter scope and mount combo on it if I want to use it in future to hunt hogs or such. As set up now, it may be a very versatile range, coyote, prairie dog, and fun rifle.

Name:  224V picture .jpg
Views: 286
Size:  101.0 KB

Site Supporter
    Had another range day with the PSA 224V upper. The Federal factory 75 TMJs shot approximately 1.25 inch group at 100 yards but the Federal Factory 90 Fusions were about a 2.5 inch group at 100 yards. This is a 1-7 barrel - internet chatter is that the PSA upper shoots 3 MOA with the 90s so I guess that matches my experience. May need 1-6.5 twist for 90+.

I have a lot of 223 projectiles on hand. I specifically want to try the Nosler Custom Competition 77 and 80 grain projectiles, the 62 grain Fusions, and 60 grain VMAXs. If I can get these 1 MOA or less I will be happy with the upper and accept that I cannot use the 90+ projectiles.

I just got in some Lee Pacesetter dies in 224V reloading dies so I will need to start experimenting.

Site Supporter
    So, minding my own business when PSA sends me an email asking me to do a review on the PSA 224V upper. I wrote an honest review where I stated that upper build quality and components were good, upper groups at 1.25 inches with Federal 224V 75s, upper groups 2.5+ inches with Federal 224V 90 Fusions that came with the upper as a package deal therefore I was not satisfied.

PSA responds to my negative review with please contact customer service. So, I initiate an online customer service order reference 3.5 inch groups with 90 grain Fusions.

Here is response from PSA:

"Hello,

We've noticed an industry trend where shooters are requesting a faster twist rate to help stabilize the heavier rounds. The solution seems to be that barrels are starting to be made with a 1:6.5 twist rate. We are unsure when we will be getting these barrels in, so if you want to have the most accurate shooting experience with the barrel that you have now, staying under the 90gr for distances over 500 yds might be prudent.

Thank you for choosing Palmetto State Armory."

Well, doh. I told them in my CS request that 1-7 was probably not correct twist for the 90s they sold me as a package deal. The issue is not 500 yds - the PSA 224V upper and 90 Fusions shoot 2.5+ inches at 100.

I sent a response and asked for my options. I hope an option will be to exchange for a future 224V upper (or swap barrels) with 1:6.5 twist. I am not too unhappy - I think they jumped the gun on selling the 1:7 barrels and should have waited for 1:6.5s.
    Last edited by ranger; 10-17-2018 at 05:20 PM.

sounds more like they should have done the package deal with different (lighter) ammo. Wonder why the push for 90gr.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List