Thread: Week 283: Rangemaster Handgun Core Skills Test

Week 283: Rangemaster Handgun Core Skills Test

Week 283: Rangemaster Handgun Core Skills Test

Results may be posted until September 24th, 2018.

Designed by: Tom Givens
    Range: 3-25 yards
    Target: See below
    Start position: Holstered, unless otherwise specified
    Rounds fired: 40

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    ...when I designed this my goal was to test a balance of speed and precision. I firmly believe that the ability to fire a nice tight fist sized group is great unless it takes you too long to do so and you get shot before you get your rounds off. I also firmly believe that spraying rounds lightning quick but sloppily is just as bad. What I'm looking for is adequate accuracy delivered very quickly.
    Target: IALEFI - QP, modified IDPA, or USPSA Metric. There is going to be some variation here since we don't all have the same targets. Ideally, there will approximately be an 8" circle in the high chest surrounded by a "C-zone", and a ~4" circle in the head, surrounded by a roughly 6x6" head box. For the purposes of the Drill of the Week, you may also use a USPSA Metric target, just understand that the lower A-zone goes lower and is a little larger overall than the intended 8" circle, and the upper A-zone is smaller than the intended ~4" circle.

IALEFI - QP: The 8" circle in body and ~4" circle in head are 5 points. The rest of the head and the rest of the 'bottle' are 3 points. Everywhere else is 0 points.

IDPA: Add a ~4" circle to the head. The 8" circle in the body and the ~4" circle in the head are 5 points. The -1 zone in the body and the head box outside the ~4" circle are 3 points. The -3 zone is 0 points.

USPSA Metric: The lower and upper A-zones are 5 points. The B and C-zones are 3 points. The D-zone is 0 points.

Record your time for each string.

String 1 @ 3 yards: Sidestep, draw, and shoot 4 body.
    String 2 @ 5 yards: Sidestep, draw, and shoot 3 body and 2 head.
    String 3 @ 5 yards: Start with gun at ready in strong hand only, shoot 4 body.
    String 4 @ 5 yards: Start with gun at ready in support hand only, shoot 5 body.
    String 5 @ 7 yards: Draw and shoot 6 body.
    String 6 @ 7 yards: Start with gun at ready loaded with exactly 3 rounds. Shoot 3 body, reload, and shoot 3 body.
    String 7 @ 10 yards: Draw and shoot 3 body.
    String 8 @ 15 yards: Draw and shoot 4 body.
    String 9 @ 25 yards: Draw and shoot 3 body.

Scoring:

Add up your total time
    Add up your total points
    Divide your points by your time, then multiply by 20 to calculate your Final Score.

80 - 100 = Very Good
    100 - 124 = Advanced
    125 or more = Master
    100 is the "Par Score"

For example, you shoot 180 total points in 35.50 total seconds. 180 points/35.50 seconds = 5.07. 5.07 x 20 = 101.4. Your Final Score would be 101, and you shot Advanced.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Pistol, holster, and concealment used
    Time for each string
    Total points
    Total time
    Final score
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    Just a quick note, current IDPA targets already have a 4" circle in the head part.

I used my normal USPSA/IDPA target with a B8 repair center and a 3x5 index card glued to it.

Pistol, holster, and concealment used:
    Glock 19-5 in a DSG Orion under a closed front button up shirt. I just received Tom’s Koala magazine pouch so I used that.

Time for each string:
    1. 2.09s 20 pts
    2. 2.86s 25 pts
    3. 2.34s 20 pts
    4. 3.35s 23 pts
    5. 3.07s 30 pts
    6. 5.51s 28 pts
    7. 2.70s 13 pts
    8. 3.86s 20 pts
    9. 5.37s 15 pts

Total points:

Total time:
    31.15s

Final score:
    124.55 which would be 125 if we’re rounding to the closest whole number.

Anything you noticed:
    I like this test a lot and run it every three or four months. It test a lot of the fundamentals with realistic tasks and distance standards. The test weights heavily towards 3-7y shooting which is what all the data shows as what average earth people will need typically. I wouldn’t expect anything else from Tom Givens.

I need to put a ton of work into an AIWB reload. I’ve never done it before and it’s slow as hell compared to my normal 8:30 positioned mag pouch. Almost every time I tried reloading during this range session, I reached for where my reload normally is. It’ll take time but I think I’ll be able to make the Koala work for me. I find it conceals the magazine way better than my old location and it balances out the bulge from the AIWB pistol. There was only one reload during this test so I don’t think it hurt my score too badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

From concealment with a G19 Gen 3 w/Ameriglo sights, Keepers holster.

String 1 @ 3 yards: Sidestep, draw, and shoot 4 body. 1.36
    String 2 @ 5 yards: Sidestep, draw, and shoot 3 body and 2 head. 2.46
    String 3 @ 5 yards: Start with gun at ready in strong hand only, shoot 4 body. 1.29
    String 4 @ 5 yards: Start with gun at ready in support hand only, shoot 5 body. 1.77
    String 5 @ 7 yards: Draw and shoot 6 body. 2.2
    String 6 @ 7 yards: Start with gun at ready loaded with exactly 3 rounds. Shoot 3 body, reload, and shoot 3 body. 3.82
    String 7 @ 10 yards: Draw and shoot 3 body. 1.82
    String 8 @ 15 yards: Draw and shoot 4 body. 2.45
    String 9 @ 25 yards: Draw and shoot 3 body. 2.49

Add up your total time. 19.66
    Add up your total points. 175 points on IALEFI-Q scored 5, 3, 0.
    Divide your points by your time, then multiply by 20 to calculate your Final Score= Final Score 178

I shot this cold after one week of no dry or live fire practice due to a family emergency. I normally score in the high 190s or low 200s, but a large break takes a large toll on shooting. Good test, and the first time I ran it years ago I learned to speed up. Fast.
    Last edited by Reid Henrichs; 08-30-2018 at 12:04 PM.
    President
    Valor Ridge Training
    www.valorridge.com
    www.youtube.com/c/ReidHenrichs

I currently don't have any IDPA/USPSA targets -just index cards and paper plates and a wooden palette + cardboard scraps for a substrate. I will shoot this at least once more, I'm also going to order a bundle on USPSA targets.

AIWB w/ JMCK Wingclaw 2.5 -P30S V3 Cond. 1

String 1 @ 3 yards: Sidestep, draw, and shoot 4 body. 2.41
    String 2 @ 5 yards: Sidestep, draw, and shoot 3 body and 2 head. 2.97
    String 3 @ 5 yards: Start with gun at ready in strong hand only, shoot 4 body. 3.12
    String 4 @ 5 yards: Start with gun at ready in support hand only, shoot 5 body. 5.63
    String 5 @ 7 yards: Draw and shoot 6 body. 2.73
    String 6 @ 7 yards: Start with gun at ready loaded with exactly 3 rounds. Shoot 3 body, reload, and shoot 3 body. 4.56
    String 7 @ 10 yards: Draw and shoot 3 body. 2.61
    String 8 @ 15 yards: Draw and shoot 4 body. 4.75
    String 9 @ 25 yards: Draw and shoot 3 body. 6.36 (1 Charlie)

198 points
    35.14 Seconds
    Score = 112

Taking a queue from Reid I need a proper target and to shoot faster, also my 25 yard, WHO, and SHO stuff was weak -my 25 yard is usually OK, dunno, it's all not exceptional but I definitely thought I'd show better on the 25.
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

Range master core skills

Langdon LTT Elite in a Milt Sparks 55BN concealed under an open front work shirt(same gear I had on all day).

String 1 2.42
    String 2 3.84
    String 3 2.25
    String 4 3.34
    String 5 3.52
    String 6 7.18
    String 7 3.46
    String 8 5.43 down 3 puts
    String 9 4.12 down 3 puts

Time 35.56
    Points 194
    Score 109
    The LTT Elite is a great fun!! Many thanks to Earnest Aimee and Beretta!!

Site Supporter
    Well, it looks like I've got the tailgunner award sewn up.

I did this twice, first with my PX4 and then with my P99C. Cover garment was a buttoned-up, untucked shirt.

PX4 from a JMCK OWB#2:
    String 1 @ 3 yards: Sidestep, draw, and shoot 4 body. 3.24
    String 2 @ 5 yards: Sidestep, draw, and shoot 3 body and 2 head. 4.48
    String 3 @ 5 yards: Start with gun at ready in strong hand only, shoot 4 body. 2.97
    String 4 @ 5 yards: Start with gun at ready in support hand only, shoot 5 body. 4.77
    String 5 @ 7 yards: Draw and shoot 6 body. 3.97
    String 6 @ 7 yards: Start with gun at ready loaded with exactly 3 rounds. Shoot 3 body, reload, and shoot 3 body. 8.37
    String 7 @ 10 yards: Draw and shoot 3 body. 3.95
    String 8 @ 15 yards: Draw and shoot 4 body. 5.96
    String 9 @ 25 yards: Draw and shoot 3 body. 6.15
    184 points, 43.86 seconds, score = 83.9

P99C from a KSG Armory Sidekick set up for IWB:
    String 1 @ 3 yards: Sidestep, draw, and shoot 4 body. 2.72
    String 2 @ 5 yards: Sidestep, draw, and shoot 3 body and 2 head. 4.09
    String 3 @ 5 yards: Start with gun at ready in strong hand only, shoot 4 body. 2.44
    String 4 @ 5 yards: Start with gun at ready in support hand only, shoot 5 body. 4.64
    String 5 @ 7 yards: Draw and shoot 6 body. 5.20 (Trigger freeze - twice!)
    String 6 @ 7 yards: Start with gun at ready loaded with exactly 3 rounds. Shoot 3 body, reload, and shoot 3 body. 10.27**
    String 7 @ 10 yards: Draw and shoot 3 body. 4.31
    String 8 @ 15 yards: Draw and shoot 4 body. 5.07
    String 9 @ 25 yards: Draw and shoot 3 body. 6.35
    194 points, 45.17 seconds, score = 85.9

**Not only am I slow as molasses, but it was my first on-the-clock live-fire reload with a short-butt gun and with a paddle mag release. I hit the mag release, the mag dropped and hit the meaty part of my hand below the butt and stopped there. I already had the spare mag in my hand so I had to drag the empty out with the end of a finger. This stuff only happens when I shoot for score.

The first run was shot cold, and a good bit of the better times on most of the second run was due to having had a warm up. The other part of it was that the Walther is stupid accurate.
    Last edited by revchuck38; 09-23-2018 at 02:32 PM.

User Tag List