Thread: Week 286: Hackathorn 3-Second Head Shot Standards

Week 286: Hackathorn 3-Second Head Shot Standards

Week 286: Hackathorn 3-Second Head Shot Standards

Results may be posted until October 13th, 2018.

Designed by: Ken Hackathorn
    Range: 5 yards
    Target: Three USPSA Metric or IDPA targets
    Start Position: Ready or holstered, see below
    Rounds Fired: 9

Targets are placed at least two feet apart shoulder to shoulder at a range of five yards. Par time is set to three seconds for each string. There are three strings of fire.

1. Fire exactly one shot at the head of each target, going from left to right.
    2. Fire exactly one shot at the head of each target, going from right to left.
    3. Fire exactly one shot at the head of each target, starting with the middle target, then the left and right targets in any order.

A round anywhere in the whole head (A/B zones) counts as a hit. Shots fired after the three-second par time count as misses. In total, you'll fire exactly nine rounds. Seven points or better, out of the nine possible, is a passing score.

Start position is shooter's choice of ready, holstered, or holstered and concealed. If you want to make it harder than that, try is SHO or WHO, lower the par time, or increase the distance. It's a short and quick drill - feel free to shoot it multiple times and/or increase the difficulty as you progress!

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
    Start position (ready, holstered, concealed)
    Any variation you included (increased distance, SHO, par time, etc.)
    Total number of points out of the possible nine
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Just shot this a few month ago with the 9mm Operator. Will mix it up soon for this DoW.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/780361...posted-public/
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Beretta m9, Langdon tjib, pepperoni rear
    Jmck aiwb 2.5, under a tshirt

Score - 7/9

I got all hits but had one ot shot on the final string and one ot on the second string due to poor ammo management which required a reload after shot 2. Rookie mistake.

Name:  20180915_154220.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  99.7 KB

String 1 (l,m,r) - 2.74
    String 2 (r,m,l) - 5.75
    String 3 (m,l,r) - 3.04
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

G43 day. Shot from under a open rain jacket using an OWB G17 holster.

I guess I had the targets a little to close to each other.

SHO I was over time on every run, 3.02, 3.03, and 3.30. Got 8 hits and one that nicked the top of the cardboard but didn't cut the perforation line. Shooting the sights vs chasing the time is an accomplishment for me.

Freestyle and I got the hits under the 3 sec par.

“Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Equipment used: G19-5, DSG Orion, closed front button up shirt and Columbia fleece
    Start position: Concealed
    Any variation you included: None
    Total number of points out of the possible nine: 8/9 (2.81 C, 2.90 C, 2.87 -1)
    Anything you noticed: this was my first time ever trying the Hackathorn Standards but I’ve shot other drills involving a single shot to each of three targets so it wasn’t a totally new task for me. I was doing well until I missed the second head shot on the third string. I don’t work on transitions too often and only sporadically have an opportunity to practice with three targets. I might bring the iHack into my regular routine though because I enjoyed this so much.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I shot this twice this afternoon, all my with “MQC” and “When it counts”. First run was all 9 points, but fractions of a second overtime on all runs(also in diminished light). Lights up, and second run was 8 points, all under 3 seconds.
    GLOCK Model45(9mm) w/GLOCK 3 dot night sights, out of a Tenicor OWB holster, unconcealed.
    Got to move a little faster in the afternoon-or shoot in the mornings!
    This drill/text is a staple, and I will continue to shoot it.

Shot at this again today at lunch. GLOCK Model45(9), Tenicor OWB, unconcealed.
    3.19,3.01,3.01; 8/9...oh, well.
    Slightly redeemed myself with a “Hackathorn Wizard”: made well under 2.5 seconds each time, down 1@10 yards.
    I like these short defined evals, and should shoot them as drills multiple times.
    Continue the work!

Beretta Langdon Elite LTT
    JMCK aiwb 2.5
    under a fleece

8/9 - pass
    2.79 -1
    3.00 clean
    2.71 clean

I ran the warren 3 second standards today and this was the first section of the drill.

A better showing than the other day. This was the best part of the warren drill, as it went downhill as the distance increased...Name:  20181014_120901.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  99.4 KB
    Last edited by backtrail540; 10-15-2018 at 09:56 AM.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

User Tag List