Thread: Small probability press out drill...

Small probability press out drill...

Practicing/attempting to work on the perfect press out.

I started off working the press out today at 7 yds slowly. 5 rounds to each of the 6 dots in a typewriter/press six sheet http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...in-circles.pdf. I felt pretty good, but I didn't want to speed up, I really wanted some good slow reps, but I ran out of the circles.

And I had only 25 rounds left, so I decided to really work my press out accuracy. Now I'm sure there are more ways to twist the typewriter/press six drill into knots that will confound my head, but I was being resourceful. I had some left over 'screw up' cards that I made thinking they were 3X5. Well, they were 2X4 and I decided to make the drill even more accuracy driven. I placed the card out at 4 yds and framed it with painters tape.

I took the 'card' and divided in in 5 parts like this. You can obviously do a better job than I did :

I fired 5 rounds into each part from position 3, when the hands meet, in a draw stroke. And this is what it looked like when I was done. Not perfect, but it was fun/challenging. I didn't have a timer, but I kept a mental 4 count in my head as I pressed out.

What do you think?
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

It is probably me, but I really don't understand what you are trying to do or convey?
    Marcus

Quote Originally Posted by marcus40 View Post
    It is probably me, but I really don't understand what you are trying to do or convey?
    Marcus
    Thanks for being honest

My only point was that I was practicing my press out and I ran out of 2" circles, so I just took this tiny card and then subdivided it into 5 parts b/c I had 25 rounds. I thought it was an efficient use of 25 rounds to really focus on small probability targets and practice 25 press outs.

Nothing fancy, just figured I'd share.

I think it was a good field expedient target, but having the different target zones touching each other makes it a tough target to analyze with one after the fact picture. I think there would definitely be value to making a typewriter style target with different shapes rather than just circles. Something like this, but smaller: http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=DT-3

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    I think it was a good field expedient target, but having the different target zones touching each other makes it a tough target to analyze with one after the fact picture. I think there would definitely be value to making a typewriter style target with different shapes rather than just circles. Something like this, but smaller: http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=DT-3
    Nice find and I agree. It was something I could see what I did in real time (only 4 yds away), but yes, after the fact it is somewhat useless. As for a training tool on keeping my press out steady and even, I'd say it was very helpful for me.

User Tag List