Thread: Getting tritium vial OUT of a sight?

Question Getting tritium vial OUT of a sight?

Looking for suggestions to get a tritium vial out of a sight. Tritium is old/dead and replacing the sight isn’t an option.

Thanks

Hizzie
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    The old school solution was to send the slide to Tooltech and have them do it for you. They have a longstanding relationship with Trijicon re tritium lamp supply.

I have vague recollections of hearing that one does not want to break open a vial, even a "dead" one, given the RADIOACTIVE" nature of the gasses in the vial.

YMMV Greatly. FWIW.

http://tooltechgunsight.com/

david of vcdgrips
    www.vcdgrips.com
    "get a better grip on your working gun"

Would heat work?

I've just used a toothpick and sight paint and painted over the dot. I left the old tritium intact.

I’m not trying to relamp it. It’s a custom sight so no direct replacement. The vial needs eviction so I can try to install a gold bead from SDM Fabricating.
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    I’m not trying to relamp it. It’s a custom sight so no direct replacement. The vial needs eviction so I can try to install a gold bead from SDM Fabricating.
    Send it to a professional - not worth the risk.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...%7cMake_3=1911

Measure your dovetail and maybe something like this could be used to replace the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...%7cMake_3=1911

Measure your dovetail and maybe something like this could be used to replace the original.
    Not sure how to measure the angle. Best I can tell the bottom of the dovetail is .325” and top .275” but the height is only .125”.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Not sure how to measure the angle. Best I can tell the bottom of the dovetail is .325” and top .275” but the height is only .125”.
    http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0511.htm

Check this out. You will also need to know the height of the sight blade only. You said .125" which is probably correct. Good luck.

Name:  IMG_1494.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  39.6 KB

Here is a front sight I had a local gunsmith install on a S&W M-15. He cut a Novak dovetail in the barrel and installed a Novak 1911 sight. The base of the sight was too wide and he cut it down. You could get a plain black sight that fits your dovetail, cut it down to the proper height and install your gold bead.

User Tag List