Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock spontaneous disassembly

Glock spontaneous disassembly

Yesterday I was on the range taking a local class, early in the day we did one handed reload drills. Shoot to slide lock, place gun in holster insert mag, draw, release slide etc. After redrawing the gun(G35.4+WML) from my 7360 I released the slide which then landed at my feet...

My first thought was the slide lock spring broke something I have experienced on multiple 19s; however it appears to be in good working shape and functioned for the rest of the day without issues. My next thought was the take down lever was depressed by a combination of me slamming the mag in and the 7360 "skids" pushing it in down and over enough that it did not go back into place after drawing the gun again. After an hour of trying I have not been able to replicate what happened. This being my duty gun I don't want to chalk it off as just one of those things, but I can not figure out why it happened in the first place.

I am going to replace the spring anyway, I just don't know for sure that was the problem.
    Last edited by Artemas2; 09-12-2018 at 04:13 PM.

I’m in to discover the answer.

I’ve had weird things like this happen with out-of-battery pistols and duty holsters over the years, on the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    Yesterday I was on the range taking a local class, early in the day we did one handed reload drills. Shoot to slide lock, place gun in holster insert mag, draw, release slide etc. After redrawing the gun(G35.4+WML) from my 7360 I released the slide which then landed at my feet...

My first thought was the slide lock spring broke something I have experienced on multiple 19s; however it appears to be in good working shape and functioned for the rest of the day without issues. My next thought was the take down lever was depressed by a combination of me slamming the mag in and the 7360 "skids" pushing it in down and over enough that it did not go back into place after drawing the gun again. After an hour of trying I have not been able to replicate what happened. This being my duty gun I don't want to chalk it off as just one of those things, but I can not figure out why it happened in the first place.

I am going to replace the spring anyway, I just don't know for sure that was the problem.
    Was the slide lock (disassembly catch) in backwards?
    Last edited by Sigfan26; 09-12-2018 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Was the slide lock (disassembly catch) in backwards?
    Not to my knowledge, the recessed slot is facing the rear of the gun. Gun was bought new and I have not touched the slide lock prior. The only disassembly done to the gun was having the connector switched to a dot.

Round count is also low, under 3,000.

Not to my knowledge, the recessed slot is facing the rear of the gun. Gun was bought new and I have not touched the slide lock prior. The only disassembly done to the gun was having the connector switched to a dot.

Round count is also low, under 3,000.
    Any signs that the locking lug on the barrel is worn (or the lip on the slide lock)?

Any signs that the locking lug on the barrel is worn (or the lip on the slide lock)?
    There is a small chip on the lip right off the beveled angle. Does that look significant to you (as much as a blurry picture can)?

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  28.7 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  28.6 KB
    Last edited by Artemas2; 09-12-2018 at 08:21 PM.

There is a small chip on the lip right off the beveled angle. Does that look significant to you (as much as a blurry picture can)?

Name:  1.jpg
Size:  28.7 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  28.6 KB
    Any frame mods?

Any frame mods?

Finger grooves removed and stippled. Do you think it could be warped?

Finger grooves removed and stippled. Do you think it could be warped?
    Don’t know. Could be plastic shaving slightly depressed lever

I will clean that area and hit it with some compressed air for good measure. It is going to see half a case of ammo this weekend if not sooner.

Thank you for your input.

User Tag List