Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High School Sports Rant

High School Sports Rant

This has been bugging me since spring sports ended and I need to vent. Yeah, I am still pissed because school started again and it reminded me of the stupidity of this.

My son was on a team where the coach is not well liked. My son put up with it because he was hanging out with teammates who are his friends. He went on an out of town school field trip with two teammates. They were told they had to suit up for a game that was being held two hours after they returned home. My son played for three minutes during that game and his teammates each played a full half. At the end of the game I see my son talking to the coaches. Suddenly he throws his helmet down and runs to the end of the field and screams and kicks the fence for a little bit. After we calm him down, he's crying and sobbing, he tells us the assistant coach was complimenting him on doing a good job and he snapped saying if he did such a good job why did he only play a few minutes. The head coach saw it and told him to apologize. My son did but the head coach would not stop and kept at him. That's when my son lost it. I am pretty sure my son wanted to punch him in the face. I told my son to change into his street clothes and not talk to anyone and we would take him home. During that time I see the head coach leaving and ask what happened. He essentially says the same story except that my son suddenly blew up for no reason. Hmmm. I ask the coach if he thought my son was any good as a player. He says he has potential for being good, but he's lazy in practice and doesn't try. In four different club teams I have never heard of him not trying. Hmmm. Later I ask my son if he doesn't try in practice. He told me at first he took practices seriously. But he learned that it doesn't matter. The coach has favorite players and they will play no matter what. Hmmm. This gets better. At practice the next day, coach tells my son you quit and if you want to be on the team you need to meet with the athletic director. During that practice he tells the team my son is a quitter and is not on the team. Because the players really don't like this coach many of them ask my son what really happened. The players know this is typical of this coach. My son never wants to play for this guy again, so that was his last game. This is a new school year. I learned the first-string player my son played behind is at a private school to improve his grades. Apparently, he was failing a lot of courses last year. Based on the parent meeting at the beginning of the year, a player must have passing grades or they can't play. They get study hall and can't participate in practice. I only know of one game first-string player did not start. Hmmm. I am happy my son has a high moral standard and recognizes right from wrong. Karma in this story is the team did not make any post season play for the first time in four years. My son had really good experiences playing for multiple clubs, but unfortunately, had to have a really bad high school coach. Or maybe this is normal. I don't know.

Well , the way you tell it your son was in the wrong. The coach probably does have his favorites that's human nature, I bet he also appreciates hard work and dedication which it sounds like your son was lacking

If it were me, I'd tell my kid that I know it seems like a big deal to him, but a few years from now, nearly anything he did in high school will seem unimportant to him. Find a league outside of school he can play in, or switch sports/coaches for a year. A lot of young players would benefit greatly from some cross-training in terms of general athleticism and injury prevention. He may find something he loves more anyway.

Mostly though, even though it may feel like a huge deal to him, his life has only just begun. Keep perspective.

You and your son need to objectively evaluate the coach's evaluation and actions as well as your son's, then make a decision on how to best proceed.

I have been involved in youth sports for a long time, and there are some dick head coaches that are in it for the wrong reasons, but i can tell you that I have seen many more parents have unrealistic expectations in reference to their kids abilities and efforts. Every kid is a super star and it's always someone ele's fault.

When my kids played it seemed every other kid had a D1 scholarship lined up, and most of them were turning pro, but of course that never happened. Hell I bet half of the kids that graduate from college end up with a job that is not related to their field of study.

If everything you say is accurate, then it sucks for sure, and you will need to do something, but in the big picture, it's only high school sports.

What happens when he runs across his first boss that is a bigger dick, and he probably will??

I'd be pretty mad at my son if he did that. No offense meant.
    #RESIST

I'd be pretty mad at my son if he wanted to play football.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I'd be pretty mad at my son if he wanted to play football.
    Strong agree

CTE.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Site Supporter
    I got three old boys so I know nothing about your situation or teenagers so maybe I should just shut up.

I would be more concerned about making sure my boys had the tools to react confidently and appropriately in situations like that, whether they are wronged or not.

With my three year old boys in the past year I have reacted in ways a few times I am not proud of and showed them the wrong paradigm when I was frustrated and overwhelmed, I hope I can give them the tools to be better than my example.

Site Supporter
    Good lesson for your son, people act shitty, adults included. Hold yourself to a higher standard, be better than average, and don't stoop to someone else's level, especially someone you don't respect, you lack respect for them for a reason.

Also, if I threw my helmet and went down crying and kicking a fence my parents would have beat my ass right there on the field and hauled me home. Being mistreated by a coach is no reason to act like that, that sounds completely ridiculous and unacceptable.

If he reacts like that in any part of his life beyond high school he is not likely to be successful. Now, that is a lot of judgement from me in one situation, but learning to deal with shitty authority figures and unfairness is a strong life lesson.

This won't be a popular opinion, but I'll share it anyway.

I went to a high school where basketball was THE THING. Literally all anyone cared about, or so it seemed. The thing is, since graduation, I've never noticed much, if any, correlation between success at high school ball and success in real life. As such, my opinion is that these things really ought to be treated as games and distractions and less like life and death type events.

Quit the team, change teams, stop playing sports altogether, I don't think any of it makes much longer ng term difference.

User Tag List