Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So the case rim ripped right off...

So the case rim ripped right off...

I was dryfiring with my Glock 19 using the red aluminum snap caps...and the fucking thing wouldn't cycle when I tapped & racked the slide.

Fucker was locked, so I racked harder and it opened.

The aluminum practice round's rim was ripped off.

Apparently, snap-caps have a limited life span, and 2.5 years of use has reached it.

I stripped the slide and inspected the extractor for chips, it looked like it was fine. Before I carry it again I'll shoot it, so I'll carry the Glock 26 backup with the exact same set up as Mr. G-19.

And I'm going to go buy new snap caps now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    I was dryfiring with my Glock 19 using the red aluminum snap caps...and the fucking thing wouldn't cycle when I tapped & racked the slide.

Fucker was locked, so I racked harder and it opened.

Apparently, snap-caps have a limited life span, and 2.5 years of use has reached it.

I stripped the slide and inspected the extractor for chips, it looked like it was fine. Before I carry it again I'll shoot it, so I'll carry the Glock 26 backup with the exact same set up as Mr. G-19.

And I'm going to go buy new snap caps now.
    If you reload, or have a friend who reloads, make some dummy rounds out of regular brass and bullets with no primer or powder. They last a lot longer, and are cheaper than buying snap caps.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    make some dummy rounds out of regular brass and bullets with no primer or powder.
    But they don't do anything to cushion the impact of the firing pin/striker.

And it's in theory easier to mix in live rounds by mistake. There is just something I like about red or orange snap caps....
    Taking a break from social media.

Before I carry it again I'll shoot it, so I'll carry the Glock 26 backup with the exact same set up as Mr. G-19.
    There is a LOT of peace of mind from having identical or as in this case nearly so spares. If there's any doubt, you switch until you can confirm with a test fire. No changing holsters (within Glock frame families anyway), magazine, etc. Smart.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I know Botach is known as kind of a sketchy place to buy, but they sell the Azoom snap caps individually (instead of the 5 packs) for 2.25 each, free shipping. I recently picked up 3 of them. Like you, I'll run it until it wears excessively then start the next one. The glock extractor does scratch the rim pretty bad, but who cares so long as it protects the striker and breech face. Abuse them, then replace.

http://www.botachtactical.com/pacazsnap.html

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I re-seat a spent primer into the pocket to cushion the firing pin. I also drill a hole through the case so I can positively identify them as dummies.

I loaned my friend a few used aluminum snap caps I previously practiced with in my CZ-75B. Five minutes later, a case rim sheared off in his P225.

I loaned my father a few used snap caps for ball and dummy drills. On the second magazine, one practice round locked up his Glock 19 when it went into battery.

I now throw away snap caps every two to three months. I now only loan fresh snap caps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Mine are getting pretty chewed up as well. I've had these 10 about 2 years now. I've started to notice that every once in a while a case will get hung in the extractor on my P30. The rim on them looks pretty beat up. Guess it is time for some new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    You can re-seat spent primers or fill the pocket with hot melt if that's an issue for you.

I primarily use dummies so my gun and mags are realistically weighted for dry fire.

User Tag List