Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eblerstock packs? Need to carry ~40 lbs 50 miles

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got a good weight right now. I've got a Goruck 30lb played and also a homemade configurable plate made from 1/2" steel rods for 10-25 lb adders.

Sounds like external free is the way to go. The hiking oriented internal frame packs seem to lack robust mounting points. At least that was my impression of the hear at REI. I originally went to REI and left feeling like Kelty was the most "rugged" of my options. Some of the ultra light weight options felt like tissue paper.

Backpacking packs aren't really built for what it sounds like you're doing, especially normal lightweight and internal frame packs. There are no mounting points because space is at a premium for shoving the 80 pieces of gear you need in there versus carrying big weights.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

For what you're doing I'd use a large ALICE, with the weight in the radio pouch.

I've tried a couple of civvy rucks over the years, and always come back to big ALICE. Has never let me down.

I've upgraded the cushioning in mine, where it meets the frame. Rides great, I regularly hike and climb with it, 35-60 lb. range.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post

HPG Aston BC looks highly adaptable... But $400 with a belt. I'm unclear on how the harness height is adjusted which concerns me.
    Harness height is easily adjusted.

Currently training for bataan heavy division in march, I've ran and rucked up to 8 hours with 20-35 # loads in a umlindi and Aston BC. If adjusted correctly, minimal soreness next day.

For what you're doing, I'd go with the ute.

Umlindi with 20 lbs on a 20 mile run
    Last edited by FOG; 09-12-2018 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FOG View Post
    Harness height is easily adjusted.

Currently training for bataan heavy division in march, I've ran and rucked up to 8 hours with 20-35 # loads in a umlindi and Aston BC. If adjusted correctly, minimal soreness next day.

For what you're doing, I'd go with the ute.

Umlindi with 20 lbs on a 20 mile run
    Dang! Sounds like you'll be ready for Pawnee in Jan. I may have to step up my training...

Why the Ute? And do you prefer the Aston BC or the Umlindi for training?

Aston looks very multipurpose. Could be useful for hunting as well. Ute sounds huge. My ruck weights are rectangular steel plates.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Dang! Sounds like you'll be ready for Pawnee in Jan. I may have to step up my training...

Why the Ute? And do you prefer the Aston BC or the Umlindi for training?

Aston looks very multipurpose. Could be useful for hunting as well. Ute sounds huge. My ruck weights are rectangular steel plates.
    The Ute compresses down to a very small package when it isn't full.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest you reach out with your question on either the HPG forum, on their website, or their Facebook page. Evan or Scot Hill will give you some good info on which pack might work for you. Also, if none of their packs are a good fit for this, they will flat tell you that too.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    I run Kifaru...the more current offerings are lighter, and are reverse compatible with my G2 tactical frame. My EMR is 10 lbs out the door, but it is huge and overbuilt. I may find a Fulcrum Bag to throw on the frame and save myself about 4 pounds, and still be able to carry elk quarters.

IIRC Dana Gleasonand the Hill Brothers have had relationships with Kifaru's owner In the past.

All three of those folks make bags that will cost you a pretty penny, but you will be willing them to your children.

I think my next EDC bag will be HPG

pat

Many many years ago I drilled the rivets on an ALICE frame, chopped 2.5" off of it, drilled some new holes and bolted the thing back together. I then attached a real backpacking backpack belt, Coleman IIRC, and had a pretty decent setup. If you're under 6' the ALICE frame has a little room to shrink.

For a while I was using a 4th gen Molle II frame and straps, with a 45lb plate strapped directly to the frame, for "hiking". It wasn't a bad setup. I think that cost me all of $35. Durability is not bad and replacement parts are easy to find. If I wanted to convert it into an all around setup I would get a Kifaru cargo panel and have something that could haul jerry cans to butchered animals.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Thanks for the suggestions all. I got some feedback from HPG and went ahead and ordered an Aston BC pack with a prairie belt. They said that or the Ute, but I wanted the better adaptability of the Aston and like that it's a carry on size

I see several recommendations for ALICE Packs; TACTICAL TAILOR Malice Packs are ALICE packs modernized; if you have your pack, they can update/customize it for you.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List