Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2-in vs. 3-in J-frame shootability?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    ....It's also possible to find some old Model 37 take-off barrels around. Does anyone know if they could be installed in a current 442/642, which would at least mean a known history for the rest of the gun, and possibility of no-lock Centennial configuration? (There would still be the issue of aluminum pins, though.
    All the personal experience and data I have on this says no. I wrecked a S&W M12 trying this many years ago with a less experienced gunsmith trying it with an almost new take off M10 3" barrel. The really knowledgeable gunsmiths I have discussed this type of project said no way they would try it.

With any of the alloy frame S&W revolvers (pre and post Scandium) the barrel torque in process at the factory the first time actually deforms and compresses the frame and partially cuts the threads making it difficult to impossible for another barrel to ever be installed and be tight. Pinned or not.

It was rather sickening to cut the ruined remains of the M12 frame on a bandsaw to dispose of it, but all it was good for after torquing out the barrel was to harvest the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    It was rather sickening to cut the ruined remains of the M12 frame on a bandsaw to dispose of it, but all it was good for after torquing out the barrel was to harvest the parts.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Damn, need a "Dislike" button...

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    It was rather sickening to cut the ruined remains of the M12 frame on a bandsaw to dispose of it

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Well, the Model 37 barrel swapped onto a 442 appears to have been done at least once. Third-hand allegation is it was by the factory.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...-3-barrel.html

Here's what I believe to be a photo of the subject of discussion. Links are odd due to the age of the thread:

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...KOn5MGjhtH2wgE

Looking at it, and considering Rob's comments, I think a 642 2.5-inch would be a better option, unless I just happened across a model 37 barrel for next to nothing at a show.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Well, the Model 37 barrel swapped onto a 442 appears to have been done at least once. Third-hand allegation is it was by the factory.
    Interesting,

I am going to put in an inquiry to the performance center just to see what they say...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Doubt they have any model 37 barrels still sitting around. I already submitted a query about the M&P 340 with the 60 Pro barrel as a PC/Custom Shop possibility (at least current production parts), and received a completely useless response.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 09-12-2018 at 02:29 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Gemini has a slab sided, full-shroud barrel available. They list $350+ installed. I've thought about having a pair of 2.5" 642s created, because the last factory 2.5" gun I saw was about 800 bucks. I figure $350 on a $350 no-lock 642 base, add in an action job and you're 50 bucks more and have a better gun.

Though, that's ASSuming that they can get the barrel off. Bowen stopped working on Smiths, because of issues getting the barrels off on new guns. I don't know if this has been fixed or not, but it's something to be aware of.

Name:  dsc_0598.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  75.1 KB

User Tag List