Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2-in vs. 3-in J-frame shootability?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

2-in vs. 3-in J-frame shootability?

Sufficient tangent to warrant a new thread:

Quote Originally Posted by paul105 View Post
    I have two, one 1 7/8" fixed sight version and a 3" adj sight model (both are lock versions). I shoot the 3" version a lot better at distance (30 to 40 yds) than the short gun. I do enjoy shooting the plate rack at 15 - 20 yds or so double action with the short gun.
    Been wondering about this. In the X42 "Pro" thread, there has been some discussion of the 642 et. al. built in 2010 with 2.5-in steel barrels, including full underlug and full-length ejector rod. It was enough to get me to drag out my SCSW, and read about the 3-in Model 37s. Seems like they'd be a pretty sweet combination, an aluminum frame with a 3-in steel barrel. Full-length ejector rod, non-lugged barrel. Just wondering if the extra weight out front and additional sight radius make for relatively excellent shootability. The length could be an issue for pocket carry, but for a J-frame lifestyle AIWB shorts-carry, probably a lot less of one. It's at least comparatively skinny compared to the scandium gun shrouds.

It's also possible to find some old Model 37 take-off barrels around. Does anyone know if they could be installed in a current 442/642, which would at least mean a known history for the rest of the gun, and possibility of no-lock Centennial configuration? (There would still be the issue of aluminum pins, though.)

There's also the rare-as-hen's-teeth 337 Ti with 3-in. barrel, which was available for a year or two in no-lock configuration. Any comments on that compared to a 2-in barrel would be interesting. Do I remember correctly seeing @GJM post a pic of one?
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 09-11-2018 at 08:22 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Sufficient tangent to warrant a new thread:

Been wondering about this. In the X42 "Pro" thread, there has been some discussion of the 642 et. al. built in 2010 with 2.5-in steel barrels, including full underlug and full-length ejector rod. It was enough to get me to drag out my SCSW, and read about the 3-in Model 37s. Seems like they'd be a pretty sweet combination, an aluminum frame with a 3-in steel barrel. Full-length ejector rod, non-lugged barrel. Just wondering if the extra weight out front and additional sight radius make for relatively excellent shootability. The length could be an issue for pocket carry, but for a J-frame lifestyle AIWB shorts-carry, probably a lot less of one. It's at least comparatively skinny compared to the scandium gun shrouds.

It's also possible to find some old Model 37 take-off barrels around. Does anyone know if they could be installed in a current 442/642, which would at least mean a known history for the rest of the gun, and possibility of no-lock Centennial configuration? (There would still be the issue of aluminum pins, though.)

There's also the rare-as-hen's-teeth 337 Ti with 3-in. barrel, which was available for a year or two in no-lock configuration. Any comments on that compared to a 2-in barrel would be interesting. Do I remember correctly seeing @GJM post a pic of one?
    First rule of Three Inch J-Frames... is that we don't talk about Three Inch J-Frames.

I've found myself lusting after a few 3" guns lately myself. I've seen some 2.5" full underlugs that look nice too. My current *WANT!* is a 60-10... Not really a pocket gun, but for belt or, like you say AIWB carry, I could really dig having one.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I kinda wanna see an M&P 340 with this barrel and the shroud nitrided black.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...eries-model-60

Name:  178013_02_lg_0.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  14.7 KB
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Amongst the sweetest shooting revolvers out there - they almost all have 2.5-3.5" barrels. Be they Js, Ds, Ks, Ls, Ns, etc.

My favorite shooting revolver is a 3" Colt Detective Special, but that's a belt gun, not a pocket blaster. But put it right by a 2" DS and the difference really is noticeable. That extra inch adds enough weight to make a 5x5x5 drill about a 1/3 of a second faster compared to the 2" gun.

In terms of five-shooters the difference between a 2" and a 3" J-Frame is night and day in terms of shootability. With the 3" scoring mo' better all the time. BUT they come at a cost, 3" guns are a bit too big to pocket (unless you're rockin' your 1998-vintage JNCOs). And most of the 3" guns are steel frame. Which aids, considerably, in shooting, but lames considerably in carry. I admit to being biased, I think steel J-frames are only slightly more useful as door stops than boat anchors. I've never had much use for a 5-shot gun that weighs what a 6-shooter does, unless the caliber is 9x19 or begins with .4.

The 2.5" guns get you full extractor strokes, but don't compromise the concealability of the J-Frame, like a 3" gun does. And give you most of the shooting gains, too. The other secret is, they set the gun a tad higher in the pocket (with a proper pocket holster). Which actually tends to make it rotate less and draw easier. Bonus of course that all of the 2.5" Airweight Js that Smith has made had pinned or dovetailed front sights.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 09-11-2018 at 09:04 PM.

I have a 1976 36-1, which is the 3" heavy barrel version. With the round butt, it sorta looks like a miniature 4" model 10 heavy barrel that got shrunk in the dryer. It's a gas to shoot, especially with wadcutters. Handles FBI loads just fine. It does weigh one ounce more than a 2" model 12 aluminum frame K-frame though, so Rob has a point.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I keep this picture on my desktop:
    Name:  360-3.JPG
Views: 653
Size:  34.5 KB
    I just got this (carried it this evening):
    Name:  JAltamont.JPG
Views: 641
Size:  53.8 KB
    and I have had this (carried it today..):
    Name:  Gemini SP.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  66.8 KB
    But I still wanna that 3" 360!
    Last edited by mmc45414; 09-11-2018 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I keep this picture on my desktop:
    Name:  360-3.JPG
Views: 653
Size:  34.5 KB
    I could have gone without knowing that those exist.

I shot my 3” heavy-barreled Model 60, with a squared grip frame, very noticeably better than my 1-7/8” tapered-barrel rounded-grip-frame Model 60, but can only guess how much of that was due to the squared grip frame, and better (wider) rear rear sight notch and wider front sight, rather than the barrel length, itself. This was during the late Eighties, or very early Nineties, and I cannot recall which grip panels were mounted on each weapon, except that I tried various grip options in those days.

There was a less-dramatic difference, about 2006, when I added a 3-1/8” SP101, compared to my 2.25” SP101 five-guns. The only physical difference, of course, was barrel length, as the grips, sights, and barrel cross-sections were the same, and the barrel length difference notably less. Also, this time, I was working with better “software.”

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I could have gone without knowing that those exist.
    I know, someday I will go on a quest to try and find one...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I've owned and shot several 3 inch heavy barrel j frames as well as the 2 inch versions. I always shot the 3 inch ones much more accurately. The longer sight radius and better balance for me were key factors. The extra weight on the muzzle allowed pulling the trigger with less front end movement. I easily could hit gallon jugs at 100 yards with the longer barrel. So could others with whom I shot. Of course, we were shooting from sitting positions.

User Tag List