Thread: Bead sights still practical?

Bead sights still practical?

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    For my pair:

1) Base gun.........................642
    2) Sight preferences..............D&L, Bowen or C&S...PREFER gold or brass bead front, plain rear
    3) Ammo preference..............148 gr wadcutter
    4) Zero distance...................15 to 25 yards
    5) Action Work (Yes/No).........No
    6) Quantity of Guns...............2
    7) Additional things you might want...could go for an Apex LONGER during pin to ensure clobbering any primer
    It might be best to break this off into a separate thread, but I have a couple questions for the good Doctor.

Do you notice any problems with brass/gold bead front sight in different lighting conditions? My very limited experience with bead front sights on handguns indicates they are sensitive to "light pushing the sight". This is most noticeable (for me) with bright sunlight coming from different directions resulting in different POI.

With the longer firing pin, are there any concerns with the pin piercing the primer and causing a malfunction? Or is this risk overstated?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Mark D; 09-11-2018 at 12:47 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm not Sherman, but one way to address the bead issue would be to have the bead flush with the sight it's pressed into, so side lighting can't hit it from the side.

Also, if you have the budget, gold plating will hold its shine longer than brass.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 09-11-2018 at 04:32 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I'm not Sherman, but one way to address the bead issue would be to have the bead flush with the sight it's pressed into, so side lighting can't hit it from the side.

Also, if you have the budget, gold plating will hold its shine longer than brass.
    I agree that a flush or recessed bead would avoid the issues with side lighting, but don't they usually stick out a bit? The photos I've seen of the Wilson Combat version suggests the bead is proud of the blade, and I think this is typical.

I haven’t had an issue with light relative to the brass/gold beads set into steel front sight blades. I HAVE had issues with a similar phenomena with Trijicon night sights in lower light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I agree that a flush or recessed bead would avoid the issues with side lighting, but don't they usually stick out a bit? The photos I've seen of the Wilson Combat version suggests the bead is proud of the blade, and I think this is typical.
    Yeah, it's typical. You could file it flush. You could also blacken the sides with cold blue or soot and then repolish the front, although the soot would probably not stick around too long in a holster.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I haven’t had an issue with light relative to the brass/gold beads set into steel front sight blades. I HAVE had issues with a similar phenomena with Trijicon night sights in lower light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I've also had the problem with stock factory sights that have become shinny.

User Tag List