Thread: RFI: S&W 617 Speedloaders

Site Supporter

RFI: S&W 617 Speedloaders

Gentlemen - I just purchased a Smith and Wesson 617-6 22LR revolver. I've done a bit of online research into speedloaders. It seems there are three options:

Ansac: http://www.4wheelguns.com/Ansac_Spee...17_10shot.html

Speed Beez: https://www.amazon.com/Speed-Beez-We.../dp/B0052SW24W

DS-10: https://ds10speed.wordpress.com/

I'd appreciate your recommendations. Thanks.

Name:  S&W 617 left side.jpg
Views: 1855
Size:  58.6 KB

I’ve used the original DS-10 classic loaders extensively. He has apparently, in recent years, made some improvements on his original design, but I’ve not upgraded b/c the originals have worked just fine for my purposes.

I’ve read about some reports of infringement allegation drama between the couple vendors mentioned, but I have no personal knowledge of any of it. Folks seem to recommend all three types from a functional standpoint.

Nice revolver, btw. One of my favorites!

The DS10’s are pretty affordable. I’d start there. APEX has a kit for the 617-4.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I've got the Speed Beez. I don't do competition, just use it to corral those pesky 22s in the winter. Fill up the load block in the warm house before going to the range and no fumbling with cold fingers.

My 617 --

Couple of targets -- I use the scope to test accuracy (old eyes and fuzzy sights not real conducive to shooting tight groups).

Rested at 25 Yds w/2x Leupold

Rested at 100 yds w/4x Leupold shot fairly quickly in slightly windy conditions.

FWIW,

Paul
    Last edited by paul105; 09-11-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Mine came with a Ansac and a few guys at the local plate match use the Speed Beez and California Competition Works.
    No problems that I am aware of with either. Get a loading block either way.

Site Supporter

Speed Beez

Gentlemen -

I ended up with the Speed Beez and loading block. The only issue I've had, which may well be operator error, is that the loader will sometimes drop a round or two as it's being extracted from the plastic pouch. The pouch has a "lip" to keep the loader in place. When I remove the loader, it occasionally "hangs up" on the lip and drops a round or two. Maybe I'm grasping it wrong.

The pistol itself has performed extremely well. No malfunctions of any sort in maybe 500 rounds. As for ammo, it seems to like CCI Standard Velocity. Ten-shot six-shooters are a hoot! I'm also learning a bunch about how to better run a wheel gun. Did I mention that 22 ammo is much cheaper than 38 special?

From the Big Empty, ELN.

User Tag List