Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lights for Specific Roles

I'm still running Quarks with Hi/Lo selected via head twist. Two of them. The one for "inside the house" has a turbo output of 500 lumens on a 4.2v 14500. The one I carry out and about turbo output of 800 lumens on a 4.2 14500. Most of my apartment has glossy white paint on the walls, so much over 500 splashes back and causes disorientation.

Whenever I walk the dog a light goes with me. 500-800-1000 lumens, whatever, it's all bright enough for my needs. I live in a place with a TON of ambient lighting almost everywhere. Most of my flashlight uses are for identifying dog turds (low mode, not turbo), and a quick strobe to make traffic aware if I'm crossing a dark street or crosswalk.

One of these days, I'll try a Malkoff with Hi/Lo and I'd like to get an HDS Rotary and Prometheus for the hell of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Most of my flashlight uses are for identifying dog turds....
    This, without doubt, is one of the most under-rated threats to one's safety. Fresh ones are like stepping on a pile of Valvoline wheel bearing grease (extreme slip hazard), and stepping on frozen ones can result in a turned or broken ankle. Turds a few days old that have turned dark are tough to spot with even 1000 lumens, and can be the cause of great angst when trying to clean their remains from the soles of Nike Kneeling Sneakers.

Maintaining high SA for dog turds is a skill worth cultivating (Managing Unknown Turds is a recommended training course for this), and all-the-lumens-all-the-time is a definite advantage in spotting them before it's too late to take evasive action.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Fair statement.

Why not?

If that's all you carry, then yes.

Let the "all the lumens all the time" shitstorm commence!

You obviously missed the lengthy discussion on this.

Mine always ends up on 15 lumens when I'm really needing 600. In any case, thanks for reading and commenting!

The finger lanyard is just too risky to me. If things go sideways in any form, that could potentially cause a significant injury.

I've trained on dual output Surefires for a long time. The two lights I have work exactly the same and I've trained with them enough to be effective with them in any situation.

The best general purpose UI is Surefire's two-stage lights. When I'm not using single-mode lights like my M6 or my Malkoffs, it's a Surefire A2, LX2, or the newest addition, the EDCL-2 (amazing light). The switch always does the same thing, there's no clicking the light on and off and seeing which mode you might be getting today. Off, low, high, low, off.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    The finger lanyard is just too risky to me. If things go sideways in any form, that could potentially cause a significant injury.
    What do you think the break-away connector is for?

Lights for Specific Roles

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    What do you think the break-away connector is for?
    Thoughts on the Thyrm vs the soft finger sling?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kjr_29; 09-20-2018 at 06:02 AM.

I have a dozen flashlights, but only use four.

Malkoff MDC non shrouded body is my 24/7 edc.
    Malkoff Hound Dog XM-L/MD4 use every night taking the dog down my rural road for peefest.
    Malkoff Wildcat/MD3 (3 led version) is my bedside light.
    ZebraLight headlight for when i need one.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I'm still running Quarks with Hi/Lo selected via head twist. Two of them. The one for "inside the house" has a turbo output of 500 lumens on a 4.2v 14500. The one I carry out and about turbo output of 800 lumens on a 4.2 14500. Most of my apartment has glossy white paint on the walls, so much over 500 splashes back and causes disorientation.

Whenever I walk the dog a light goes with me. 500-800-1000 lumens, whatever, it's all bright enough for my needs. I live in a place with a TON of ambient lighting almost everywhere. Most of my flashlight uses are for identifying dog turds (low mode, not turbo), and a quick strobe to make traffic aware if I'm crossing a dark street or crosswalk.

One of these days, I'll try a Malkoff with Hi/Lo and I'd like to get an HDS Rotary and Prometheus for the hell of it.
    The 7777's Quark Tac lights are my favorite. I really like the twist mode. I program the tight bezel for turbo and the loose for about low or medium. I keep the bezel tight and for general use I just twist the head. I guess nothing last forever, I should have bought about 10 of them.

Malkoff, with Surefire in the Middle

Picked up this like-new E-series body off ebay and ordered a Malkoff E-series tailcap at the same time. Both arrived today, so I loaded it up with a KeepPower 16650 cell and installed the Bodyguard v.2 head.

Nice!

The body/tailcap combo provides a nice grip. The Malkoff tailcap is awesome: it allows easy icepick-hold operation of the switch while still retaining tail-standing capability, and prevents the finger lanyard from sliding off the end. And of course, it uses the very reliable and easily replaceable McClicky switch mechanism.

This may end up being the most useful EDC light I've assembled yet!

Quote Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
    I have a dozen flashlights, but only use four.

Malkoff MDC non shrouded body is my 24/7 edc.
    Malkoff Hound Dog XM-L/MD4 use every night taking the dog down my rural road for peefest.
    Malkoff Wildcat/MD3 (3 led version) is my bedside light.
    ZebraLight headlight for when i need one.
    Good stuff! You've got your bases covered nicely.

User Tag List