Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lights for Specific Roles

Lights for Specific Roles

Most already know I'm a flashlight nerd and as such have an appreciation for the finer lights in life, so it's no wonder I own quite a collection. Below are four specific applications that I have configured specialized hand-held lights for, the specific attributes I want for each application and the descriptions of the lights in my collection that are dedicated to those applications.

Self Defense

These lights for me are the most specialized. Though they could be used to walk the dogs, they are really set up for defensive use, with or without a pistol. In this role, the light serves to (1) illuminate the target to provide PID; (2) provide enough light/contrast to clearly see and align the sights on-target and (3) be bright enough to temporarily "blind" or disorient an adversary.

The specific attributes I want for a light in this role are as follows;

1. Always turn-on at maximum output without fail. At the Low Light Pistol Operator course I attended at the Sig Academy, many of the participants struggled with their programmable lights making them come on in the mode they needed. So for me, a "programmable" light is out of the question for this use - a simple, single-output light is 100% foolproof in this regard and my preference for a "fighting flashlight."
    2. Momentary-only operation. Though the McClicky switches on the lights I used require a long push to click-on constant mode, there were a handful of occasions during the day-long training I managed to unintentionally click them on to constant mode. I decided that my lights dedicated to this use would either use a tailcap that requires a twist to lock on, or to disable constant-on operation all together.
    3. Easy to grip, easy to hold. I found CR-123 single-cell lights about the lower limit of having enough length to handle effectively. On the upper end, a 9P size light has more than enough real estate to hold securely and anything longer makes carrying more difficult. A 6P size light is about ideal for use with a pistol.
    4. Tough-as-nails durability. There are a few brands out there renown for this quality and are worth the extra $$ to ensure your light works when needed, even under the toughest conditions.
    5. Finger lanyards. The ability to simply let go of the light and retain it close to the hand is a HUGE advantage for pistol manipulations. I consider finger lanyards indispensable on serious-use lights, and prefer them on all of my lights.

I currently have two lights configured as above for this purpose;

1. A Malkoff Bodyguard v.2 head (1,000 lumens) on a 1-CR123 shroudless body. The McClicky has been modified for momentary-only operation and the light is equipped with a DIY finger lanyard. This is also one of my EDC lights.
    2. A Surefire 6PX Tactical (single mode, 600 lumens) with a Z-41 style twisty tailcap. This light is also equipped with a finger lanyard attached to the light with a Solarforce lanyard ring. This light is dedicated to sitting next to my pistol at night to "keep it company" (more info below).

EDC

Lights I carry every day are more likely to be used for utilitarian purposes, but could also be needed for a self defense situation. They also need to be easy and comfortable to carry, and as inconspicuous as possible. In true nerd form, I usually carry two lights to cover the bases;

1. The Bodyguard light described above, clipped inside my left front pocket. This makes the light quick to access with the support hand while the strong hand runs the pistol.
    2. Another small form-factor light in the right pocket, to serve more utilitarian purposes. This light will have a fully-functional McClicky switch so it can be locked on, and can be multi-output in operation. I have a couple of lights that fill this function well, including a Bodyguard v.1 head (600 lumens high, 150 timed low) on a 16650 body, and a MDC 1-CR123 body with a VME head and a M61NLL drop-in (60 lumens). I also want some minimum runtime for this light, around two to three hours being ideal, which both of the above lights will provide. I have other lights in my collection that can fill this role as well, though they are larger lights.

I find carrying two lights covers my needs better than a single "multipurpose" light. Especially important is the light intended for SD use works the same way every time, with zero possibility it will not.

Here are two that remain clipped to the inside of my front pockets at all times;

Bodyguard v.1 "utility light" on the left, Bodyguard v.2 defensive light on the right.

In-house Defensive Light

I have separated this use as a specific application - this is the light that is always sitting with my pistol and the one I would grab with the pistol in the event of a middle-of-the-night defensive scenario. This is the Surefire 6PX Tactical described above and it sits with my PPQ at night, both within easy-reach and quick-access distance from where I sleep. Since my EDC self-defense light stays clipped inside the pocket of my pants, this light is dedicated entirely to this function.

This genuine article (not a Chinese knock-off) SF 6PX Tactical was purchased new on ebay for $45. I found the twisty tailcap (push for momentary, twist for constant on) on ebay as well for $20. The UI, form factor and 600 lumens single output is perfect for self-defense use.

Nightstand Utility Light

This is entirely a utilitarian light: multi-level output capability (six steps, from 1 lumen to 400) with unmodified McClicky switch for either momentary or constant-on operation. In my case it's a Malkoff MD2 body with a SF tailcap, using a M361 15/80/400 lumen drop-in with high-low bezel switch. Powered by an 18650 3400mAh Li-ion cell, it's a true long distance runner on all but the highest output level. It's a Swiss Army Knife kind of light that actually gets plenty of use, and is a permanent resident of my bedside night stand.

This Malkoff MD2 is a versatile utilitarian light that could also be easily carried in a pants pocket.

These are the four specific applications I consider worthy of filling with hand held lights specifically configured for and entirely dedicated to those uses. Like most other hardware selection decisions, understanding the intended role is instrumental in optimal configuration of the equipment. Even the lowly "hand held torch" benefits from this approach!
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 09-11-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post

Momentary-only operation. Though the McClicky switches on the lights I used require a long push to click-on constant mode, there were a handful of occasions during the day-long training I managed to unintentionally click them on to constant mode. I decided that my lights dedicated to this use would either use a tailcap that requires a twist to lock on, or to disable constant-on operation all together.
    To this I should add the following;

Single tailcap switch only! One button, one press, the light comes on at maximum output. Release the button and the light goes off. Additionally, the button should be easily accessible for the thumb with the light in an icepick hold. This generally precludes tailcaps designed to enable "tail standing" where the button is deeply recessed.

I have been looking for a light like this for a few months now but was not sure if I would like the Bodyguard heads due to their step down after 10 seconds. I have an older SF E1b at 110 lumens that I was going to sacrifice and put a E1T head on it.

You mentioned that you have the V2 head on the single cell light. How doe that function differently than the Bodyguard head that was designed for the single cell lights? More output for the duration? I was not sure if the 1 cell CR123 could support the output of the V2 head. Also, where did you get the plastic connect pieces for the lanyards?

The Bodyguard v.1 and v.2 heads are essentially the same. The only difference is the voltage range they are designed to operate on.

The v.1 head is rated to produce 450 lumens on 3 volts (a single CR123A lithium battery), 600 lumens on a single Li-ion cell (4.2 volts off the charger) and 900 lumens on a pair of CR123A lithium batteries.

The v.2 is rated for 1000 lumens on either a single Li-ion cell or a pair of CR123A lithium batteries. It will run on a single CR123A lithium battery, but only about half as bright as the v.1 on the same battery (around 200 lumens).

The v.2 head will produce 1000 lumens on any single Li-ion cell, regardless of size. The larger the cell, the longer the runtime.

The paracord break-away connectors are a common item available from any online source that carries paracord.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 09-16-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Where's the write-up on the 3- or 4-D-cell Maglite thumper?

Quote Originally Posted by nucci View Post
    Where's the write-up on the 3- or 4-D-cell Maglite thumper?
    Don't have any pockets big enough to carry those. ;-)

What's the highest output Malkoff has in a 18650 body? The bodyguard v2 @ 1,000 lumen? Anything else I'm missing?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'm not a dedicated enough nerd to carry two lights.

I wouldn't put a lanyard around my finger on a dare.

A dual output search light has a real good chance of being the fight light.

My experience, from training mostly at night, is that a dual output is all I want. 600-1K lumens is just too much for looking at the little things you need to see when not shooting. Using ALL the lumens to navigate really kills the peripheral and situational awareness.

Most 'classes' are too focused on pure shooting. gear that excels there may not be the best on the street.

I really like the P3X Fury 15/1000 and my absolute favorite light is the the G2X Pro 15/600. It's plastic and won't break your teeth and the light color is excellent and the 600 lumens does it's job well.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I'm not a dedicated enough nerd to carry two lights.
    Fair statement.

I wouldn't put a lanyard around my finger on a dare.
    Why not?

A dual output search light has a real good chance of being the fight light.
    If that's all you carry, then yes.

My experience, from training mostly at night, is that a dual output is all I want. 600-1K lumens is just too much for looking at the little things you need to see when not shooting. Using ALL the lumens to navigate really kills the peripheral and situational awareness.
    Let the "all the lumens all the time" shitstorm commence!

Most 'classes' are too focused on pure shooting. gear that excels there may not be the best on the street.
    You obviously missed the lengthy discussion on this.

I really like the P3X Fury 15/1000 and my absolute favorite light is the the G2X Pro 15/600. It's plastic and won't break your teeth and the light color is excellent and the 600 lumens does it's job well.
    Mine always ends up on 15 lumens when I'm really needing 600. In any case, thanks for reading and commenting!

My EDCL2-T ticks every box for a defensive or EDC light for me. Allthelumens on demand , some of the lumens immediatly available , intelligent switching and easy to carry

I want three or four more of them
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

User Tag List