Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: DA/SA decocking thread #6932 (split from the LTT 92 thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    If you or your family and your kids were down range while a LEO or armed citizen was working through a multiple shooter problem, what trigger mode would you prefer them to be working in?
    Good point.

DAK, “D” Beretta, DAO, All come to mind.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Good point.

DAK, “D” Beretta, DAO, All come to mind.
    And standard LEM...

I had one problem agent who was, IMHO, COMPLETELY unsafe to handle a TDA or striker pistol. Multiple instances of cocked M11 going into holster. Multiple instances of moving to reholster a Glock with finger still in the trigger guard. I talked that agent into shooting one of my LEM-equipped pistols, and eventually got him/her into one as a personal weapon. I would have preferred to find him/her a non-LE position, but that wasn't up to me. At least with the LEM pistol, I KNEW he/she had to REALLY want to make the pistol go off.

I talked to GJM tonight and that was my assessment as well. The LEM is still the best system in my mind for most people. Keeping in mind that the type of folks on this forum are not most people. Many of us have seen the harsh realities of most people, and it is frightening.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I like the concept of the LEM system, but the “problem” with it is that only HK makes pistols with that particular system. I personally don’t have a problem with that, but a lot of people aren’t going to pay HK prices.

That said, I see the issues of decocking TDA pistols simply being the fact that people somehow see it differently from running a safety on LITERALLY EVERY OTHER GUN THAT HAS A SAFETY. It’s like Yield signs in traffic. People don’t know how to use them properly because they weren’t ever taught properly in the first place and they were never drilled hard enough on them.

On target? GO! Off target? YIELD (decock)!

People not being able to manage a DA press comes from the fact that it takes work. People seem to not like the evil/bad/scary “W” word. If you’re choosing to run a revolver, DAO, or TDA pistol, just do the work and get good with the DA press. If it’s a garbage DA trigger in the first place then find a way to make it better or buy a different gun. I hear Beretta makes pistols with easily attainable good triggers. Otherwise just put the work in. Does it take more effort than learning a SFA trigger? Sure. Does it take that much more work? I REALLY don’t think so.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I still suck pretty bad overall, IMO, but I've progressed to the point with DA where I shoot it about as well, if not better, than SA.

Dry fire with a TDA pistol naturally works the DA, because without the slide cycling, every press is DA. Dry fire and live fire with a DA revolver or DAO pistol yields the same result.

Go to the range with your TDA pistol, and make a bunch of your practice controlled pairs in the pattern of low ready, present, DA, SA, decock, back to ready. Doesn't take long to get to where the DA shots tend to be more accurate than the SA, and you're working to clean up the transition.

If you just go to the range and empty the magazine after the DA press, you'll probably keep thinking the DA is difficult to manage.

I like classic Sigs because of the naturalness and ease of use of the decocker, as well as the fact that the hammer rides the lever down, as the lever follows your thumb back up. It's not dropping the hammer onto a stop. The problem with classic Sigs is that the control layout is different than everything else, so training to become automatic suggests commitment to the brand exclusively.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I carried a 1911-pattern pistol from about 1997 to about 2013, and I was taught to disengage the safety as my sights went on target and to engage the safety as soon as I came off the target. As such, I run the Beretta 92-series guns the same way. The 1911 is still easier for me, but I have a lot more hours on the 1911-pattern than the 92-series guns.

LEM makes things easier as there is just less to do and fewer differences to experience. Every shot is the same, and there is no lever to forget to trip before holstering. Funny enough, the Glock is much the same with its one trigger pull and I put my thumb on the SCD just like I do with the P30 hammer. The LEM trigger is definitely more forgiving of mistakes. Fewer things to do is nice under stress. Fewer things to do that are ingrained habits is really nice under stress.

A de-cocker technique question: What's the opinion on training to use the support hand thumb to de-cock rather than the thumb of the shooting hand? (A right hander only issue, I suppose.)

I may mis-recall that the Sig Academy taught this at one time. It certainly would be more natural for some designs like the HK de-cockers. Does anyone here support or train this technique?

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    A de-cocker technique question: What's the opinion on training to use the support hand thumb to de-cock rather than the thumb of the shooting hand? (A right hander only issue, I suppose.)

I may mis-recall that the Sig Academy taught this at one time. It certainly would be more natural for some designs like the HK de-cockers. Does anyone here support or train this technique?
    My understanding, as well as the technique that I employ, is to decock with the support hand when available. The reason being is that it keeps a good primary grip on the gun while you’re doing it. I also, however, strongly suggest that you get really comfortable with decocking the gun primary and support hand only as well, because stuff happens.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

With the Sig, I use the support hand to decock, simply because my thumb is already there.

With the Beretta, I use my strong hand thumb to decock.

Sent from my iPhone
    (So Excuse the typos)
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    Hand size, shape, finger length may play a factor in what technique is best as well.

User Tag List