Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snubby Ammo

What we use in 2-4" guns here in my house.
    Attachment 30091
    Attachment 30092
    25 yards

Site Supporter
    Great article and a wealth of info. The downside to the lead WC rounds is they don't do great against auto glass or doors. While hopefully if I had to shoot through those I would have a better option, does the copper plated WC rounds solve this issue? When they are copper plated does that cause an issue with over penetration? I haven't been able to uncover much about the copper jacketed WC rounds. I much prefer them to the standard lead ones.

Site Supporter
    A jacketed wadcutter would not do much better against auto body metal. The key there is velocity. A copper plated or jacketed wadcutter at 600-700 feet per second still won't do well against metal.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There's the old idea of loading a HBWC backward as a "flying ashtray" HP.

What about loading a JHP (bonded, even) backward at wadcutter depth, to put the flat, jacketed base with nice, crisp, square corners in front?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    There's the old idea of loading a HBWC backward as a "flying ashtray" HP.

What about loading a JHP (bonded, even) backward at wadcutter depth, to put the flat, jacketed base with nice, crisp, square corners in front?
    Why not just use the bonded jhp as designed?

I purchased some Double Tap 148 WCs that they advertised at 850fps they are rated at that velocity in a 2". They were very accurate and shot well in my snubs ( Ruger SP 3" and a 640 Pro").

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Why not just use the bonded jhp as designed?
    For all the reasons to carry a wadcutter, but with the more durable construction of a bonded, jacketed projectile. Most WCs are made for punching holes in paper, which means there's no reason to make them out of anything but soft, swaged lead. Also, having the jacketed base exposed keeps the lead unexposed.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 09-13-2018 at 10:47 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    For all the reasons to carry a wadcutter, but with the more durable construction of a bonded, jacketed projectile. Most WCs are made for punching holes in paper, which means there's no reason to make them out of anything but soft, swaged lead. Also, having the jacketed base exposed keeps the lead unexposed.
    Attachment 30201this is the current round, but i would much prefer a full WC 148/158gr. non-plus-P. Most of what i see is target stuff for sale.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    Great article and a wealth of info. The downside to the lead WC rounds is they don't do great against auto glass or doors.
    I've never had much luck with full wadcutters and speedloaders
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List