Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snubby Ammo

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=111

Hardcast standard pressure 150gr .38 wadcutters.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    For all the reasons to carry a wadcutter, but with the more durable construction of a bonded, jacketed projectile. Most WCs are made for punching holes in paper, which means there's no reason to make them out of anything but soft, swaged lead. Also, having the jacketed base exposed keeps the lead unexposed.
    I always thought the reason to carry WCs were because there weren't any better options.

Flipping a bonded bullet backwards seems like a waste since it's not expanding. Might as well just use a cup and core bullet.

Fwiw I've done this with rifle bullets for small game loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I've never had much luck with full wadcutters and speedloaders
    I’ve seen a few people (Claude?) mention carrying WC in the gun and something like the Gold Dots on the speed strips for this reason.

How would standard pressure 158gr LSWC’s fair?
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

The Federal 38 Spec 130gr HST JHP seems to be a high tech version of the backward WC. I’ve shot 20 from my Kimber 2” Kimber and it was a very tight group at 21ft.

Chris Baker at Lucky Gunner did an excellent review.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I always thought the reason to carry WCs were because there weren't any better options.

Flipping a bonded bullet backwards seems like a waste since it's not expanding. Might as well just use a cup and core bullet.

Fwiw I've done this with rifle bullets for small game loads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    I have always been under the impression that the 148 is preferred because they are loaded to lower velocity and the shape lends itself to cut tissue. I think the 158's are normally loaded a little warmer. I have read that the full wadcutter cuts better than the semi wadcutter. I would think the 158 loaded to lower velocities would shoot to poa and allow for easier reloads. With factory ammo you would give up faster follow up shots due to recoil.

I’m just looking at consistency of ammo. Only stocking one load to keep in gun, reload and for training. Full WC have to be maddening to reload in a hurry.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    LSWC's aren't going to do well through heavy clothing.

Full wadcutters are often recommended because the sharp shoulder tends to do a better job of cutting tissue rather than pushing it like rounder profiles do. Plus they tend to penetrate pretty deep, which most .38 JHP loads kind of suck at.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 09-14-2018 at 09:32 PM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    LSWC's aren't going to do well through heavy clothing.

Full wadcutters are often recommended because the sharp shoulder tends to do a better job of cutting tissue rather than pushing it like rounder profiles do. Plus they tend to penetrate pretty deep, which most .38 JHP loads kind of suck at.
    LSWC-HP is going to suck through clothing, expansion wise. A plain non-hollow point LSWC bullet is going to penetrate clothing and keep going, like a wadcutter, but without the advantageous sharp tissue crushing shoulder. A SWC style bullet is still probably a bit better than a round nose lead bullet, damage wise, and the flat front surface may help it track straighter than a round nose. I know Doc has said somewhere in the past that flat nose FMJ or SWC bullets generally don't offer any increase in performance over round nose bullets, but I think a flat nose does help "grab" tissue/bone and make the bullet track a more predictable path. As I recall, part of Docs reasoning for using wadcutter ammo was its light recoil, and "shootability"... even at speed. It allowed people to get more practice with a gun that is generally not fun to practice with, and that increases hits.

The bottom line with .38 from a snubby is that even the best loads ( 135gr GD, 130gr Ranger Bonded, 110gr DPX) are on the ragged edge of expansion. The DPX, being lighter, might have a velocity advantage where it is more likely to expand than the other two, but it's still a light for caliber bullet, and if it does expand, it may not penetrate as deeply. I am of the mindset that if I have to choose penetration or expansion, I'd prefer more penetration. So I tend towards heavier bullets, even if they may not expand. I picked up a fairly good supply of RA38B for ~$15/50... so I carry that in the gun (442), and for reloads. If it doesn't expand, then it is still heavy enough to penetrate fairly well. It loads okay from strips/speed loaders.

In my somewhat limited experience with revolvers, it seems like SWC is better of course, than full wadcutter, when it comes to reloads, but its still not as smooth as a pointy JHP bullet. The flat noses still tend to hang up on the cylinder.

Is anyone carrying +p in an airweight? Shot some out of mine and it sucked big time, rather roll with wadcutters.

User Tag List