Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The official 442/642 "pro" thread

Can we just put together a petition to fire anyone at S&W that makes any actual decisions and replace those people with members of this board instead?

I'm caught up currently. We show about 20-25 guns worth of interest from 17 folks so far. That's already a solid starting point. I'll start shopping 'Smiths this week.

Anyone interested, please continue to post. I'll update my spreadsheet daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Just checked and 642 no-lock SKU 103810A is showing on the California roster, pending verification of availability that means I'm in.

1) Base gun - 642
    2) Sight preferences - anything easy to see, I'm happy with the setup on my M&P 340
    3) Ammo preference - 148 HBWC
    4) Zero distance - 15yds
    5) Action Work (Yes/No) - Yes
    6) Quantity of Guns - 1
    7) Additional things you might want (dehorn/chamfer/end shake correction, etc) - Chamfer cylinders, crown barrel
    I'm interested, if the price is right. But for me any base gun will have to be on California DOJ Roster of Approved Handguns (sigh). However, Salamander pointed out there's one approved 642 version without the lock. So my wish list:

1) Base gun - 642 on the CA Roster
    2) Sight preferences - anything easy to see. High-visibility front and nice wide rear.
    3) Ammo preference - whatever Doctor Roberts is recommending these days
    4) Zero distance - 15yds
    5) Action Work (Yes/No) - Only an Apex duty kit. (Haven't been impressed with S&W factory action jobs but a custom shop might do better)
    6) Quantity of Guns - 1
    7) Good QAQC, and definitely no lock.
    Last edited by Mark D; 09-10-2018 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I'm caught up currently. We show about 20-25 guns worth of interest from 17 folks so far. That's already a solid starting point. I'll start shopping 'Smiths this week.
    Baller.

Gotta teach out at the VA today; I’ll put together a PM later this evening. My browser bookmarks are pretty deep with revolver ‘smiths, becuse, reasons. Hopefully there might be one or two options in there that you don’t already have top of mind, because, reasons.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Baller.

Gotta teach out at the VA today; I’ll put together a PM later this evening. My browser bookmarks are pretty deep with revolver ‘smiths, becuse, reasons. Hopefully there might be one or two options in there that you don’t already have top of mind, because, reasons.
    Cool. I'm formatting a paper for submission and doing a bunch of lab work this week. Chances are it'll be Friday before I can sit down and write/call any folks.

For my pair:

1) Base gun.........................642
    2) Sight preferences..............D&L, Bowen or C&S...PREFER gold or brass bead front, plain rear
    3) Ammo preference..............148 gr wadcutter
    4) Zero distance...................15 to 25 yards
    5) Action Work (Yes/No).........No
    6) Quantity of Guns...............2
    7) Additional things you might want...could go for an Apex LONGER during pin to ensure clobbering any primer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a quick summary - I'm waiting on my boss to email me back, so I've got a minute to look over the data.

Results:

Number of Peeps Interested Thus Far: 18

Min # of Guns = 20
    Max # of Guns = 23

Sight Options = Trit or Gold Bead Front Dot - Plain Black Rear (be that a stock one that is cerakoted or painted or a C&S/D&L type) - This is overwhelmingly the case (15 of the 18 folks)

Ammo = 148 HBWC currently holds the reins, 10 people want this load, 2 people 135-grain Gold Dot SB, 2 people 130-grain HST, 3 people would consider 158 LSWC, 1 vote for the 110 Crit Defense.

Zero = 5 folks want 15-yard zeroes, 4 want 25-yard zeroes, and 7 don't care (15-25).

___

Discussion:

Depending on what our 'smith is ultimately able to do, we can figure 148-HBWC will be the choice, with 158-grain LSWC, and either Gold Dot or HST as second and third options (if the 'smith is willing to do that). To keep costs down, I think we should limit it to the 1-3 most popular options (so please keep submitting your preferences).

Zero - If our 15-yarders and 25-yarders are amenable, I think we can almost settle this right now to a 20-yard zero, splitting the difference.

Would be in for one depending on cost. Visible sights. 15-25 yd zero is fine. Action work.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I'll start shopping 'Smiths this week.
    Try Mike LaRocca & Chestnut Mountain Sports. Both do amazing J frame work.

P.S. I’m interested too.

Site Supporter
    Sounds cool and I would be in, except I'm suprised no one has mentioned that D&L sights can't go on a X42. Only a pinned front like the 340. Pretty sure it's the same with the Bowen via C&S but not 100% on that.

User Tag List