Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The official 442/642 "pro" thread

Site Supporter
    1) Base gun: 442/642.
    2) Sight preferences: 43c/351c front/rear. Minimum accessible spec would be a pinned front so I can change it.
    3) Ammo preference 148 wadcutter
    4) Zero distance: 15yds
    5) Action Work (Yes/No): Yes
    6) Quantity of Guns: 1
    7) Additional things you might want (dehorn/chamfer/end shake correction, etc): Chamfer, end shake correction, dehorn, no lock.

Depends on price though. If this comes in at $1k+, I'm out.

Chris

To keep costs down, I'd be happy with just sight installation and a once-over of each gun by a qualified gunsmith. Everything else (short of a complete action job; substitute an Apex spring kit for that) can be done at home with relatively inexpensive tools and a modicum of skill.
    Last edited by oregon45; 09-10-2018 at 12:55 AM.

I as well would be happy with a 642/442 that has been inspected and shot. The sight picture is not as much a concern as POI @ POA with either 158 SWC or 148 wadcutters. I am good with stock internals but may be interested in a smoothing and deburring. What I am looking for is pretty much my Model 60 in a centennial airweight.

Not to pee in the punch bowl, but you guys should read Ernest Langdon's posts in the Langdon 92 thread.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Because I'm FUCKING RevolverNERD - I've started a spreadsheet - I can see ~10 guns already (assuming everyone there buys one, except for me and Doc House, buying two).

Attachment 30061

___

If you are interested provide the following information (here in the thread or via PM, either is fine)

1) Base gun
    2) Sight preferences
    3) Ammo preference
    4) Zero distance
    5) Action Work (Yes/No)
    6) Quantity of Guns
    7) Additional things you might want (dehorn/chamfer/end shake correction, etc).

___

EXPRESSING INTEREST DOES NOT COMMIT YOU TO PURCHASE - These are strictly numbers for allowing me to shop gunsmiths and identify the best way to approach building the Ultimate P-F J-Frame - at the best cost and quality for us all.
    1) Base gun = 442 (I already own one)
    2) Sight preferences: Factory notch rear is good, as long as it's paired with a Tritium dot front.
    3) Ammo preference: 148 HBWC /Critical Defense 110 gr
    4) Zero distance: 15 to 25 yds
    5) Action Work (Yes/No): Yes
    6) Quantity of Guns: 1
    Interested depending on the cost.

Site Supporter
    I'm not a revolver guru at all, but it's sad that they seem to place final QC of a lifesaving device into the hands of the end user these day.

This is a great thread! The truest words, unfortunately, are those above.

(1) Base gun: 642/442
    (2) Sight preference: Cylinder and Slide Extreme Duty paired with some sort of tritium front. Or budget version: cerakote rear channel black and front sight neon orange for a cleaner version of my current "sharpie and nail polish" sight system.
    (3) Ammo preference: 130 gr
    (4) Zero distance: 25
    (5) Action work: Yes
    (6) Quantity: 1
    (7) Additional: chamfer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KPD View Post
    1.) 442 preferred, but a 642 would be okay.
    2.) Factory rear is fine. Tritium front.
    3.) 158gr LSWC
    4.) 25 yards
    5.) Yes on the action work.
    6.) 1 gun for sure.
    7.) Chamfer the cylinders.
    Here you go... I did this myself. I didn't chamfer the cylinders. I'd be in for a factory one though.

Name:  Finished 642.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  60.4 KB
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

A decent action tune, including correcting timimg and endshake shouldn’t be much over a hundred bucks for a group buy in. Sights will be the wild card on cost. If we’re going working man with the 442/642 package, we probably need to stay away from refinishing, unless there’s something I don’t know.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Are we talking about using our own revolvers or purchasing a new revolver for this? I might be able to swing a sight package for my 642 but I doubt I could go for a new revolver with the work.

I installed an Apex kit in my 642 and I don't think I need any other work. Just some nice sights for me.

Anyway, I'm interested.

1) Base gun.........................642
    2) Sight preferences..............D&L Sports
    3) Ammo preference..............148 gr wadcutter
    4) Zero distance...................15 to 25 yards
    5) Action Work (Yes/No).........No
    6) Quantity of Guns...............1
    7) Additional things you might want...NONE
    Last edited by Irelander; 09-10-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

User Tag List