Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The official 442/642 "pro" thread

Depending on anticipated cost I might be interested.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I’m in for a pair of either option (factory or gunsmith send-offs).
    I’m not holding my breath for the factory response anytime before they figure out that people are actually buying Colts and Kimbers.

But this smithing package is interesting. C&S strikes me as having the resources, if they have the interest. Someone here has an in with a multi-smith shop that could turn ‘em out in P-F numbers (and, realistically, we’re probably all familiar with the handles of folks here who’d be in... what, maybe 25-35 members?), and they’ll probably surface as this thread runs it’s course to the sea.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The gun I'm constantly on the hunt for is a Circa 2010-production 2.5" J-Frame, in particular a 442/642, but they also did 438/638 and 437/637 versions of the gun. I've missed out on a couple of them over the years. These guns were just Airweight .38s with 640/M60 2.5" barrels on them. Basically, the simplest thing one could do.

But let's say we could convince Smith to build us 250 or 500 of these:

Let's call it the 642 P-F PC Pro (642 PPP?):

No Lock
    PC Action Job
    Chrome Plated Trigger
    Polished Cylinder
    Mated to that is a 640 Pro Fluted 2.1" Barrel, with Novak dovetailed front sight.
    Novak rear dovetail optional (can Smith reliably cut that dovetail into the aluminum gun?)
    15º target crown
    Factory rubber grips (because let's face it, all of us are going to replace them with our grip choices)

That should give the gun a very nice factory trigger, great sights, a touch more velocity, with more weight at the muzzle end. It should be a very shootable gun.
    You and me both.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Sounds like what is wanted is just the M&P 340 with a .38SPL cylinder and skipping the expense of scandium and tritium (funny how the price of unobtanium adds up).

Every incident I can remember reading about where the hammer or trigger pin broke or loosened has involved aluminum pins in the non-scandium .38SPL guns. My superpower is that if there is a common (or uncommon) problem with any system, it's likely to be present in the example I get involved with. So I'm really not interested in aluminum pins. I'm especially not interested in adding 50 percent to the price of a revolver with aluminum pins. Unfortunately, I also can't think of a non-scandium alloy J-frame with steel pins, so that right there is where the petition to S&W comes in. Maybe they've done some engineering and determined it's not technically viable for some reason, rather than just reserving the more robust solution for the magnum guns. Would be great to ask someone who knows.

Given that the M&P 340 exists and the only problems with it are price and QC, I'd be more interested in seeing something like a 315 again.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I would be interested as well.

I think it would work better to get the guns and send them to a 'smith. 7 or 8 years ago, I contacted S&W about getting a run of 642's made with our department patch laser-etched on the side (individual officer purchase). They were terrible to deal with and the pricing was not great. They were wanting approximately $1000 per gun to do it, and we were looking at 150+ guns. The project ended up falling apart.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

Every incident I can remember reading about where the hammer or trigger pin broke or loosened has involved aluminum pins in the non-scandium .38SPL guns....So I'm really not interested in aluminum pins. I'm especially not interested in adding 50 percent to the price of a revolver with aluminum pins. Unfortunately, I also can't think of a non-scandium alloy J-frame with steel pins, so that right there is where the petition to S&W comes in
    Chopped your post down to concentrate on the aluminum pin bits. Are we sure the 642/442 use aluminum pins? I have read both yes and no. Would like to get confirmation. That is pretty important.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The pins are almost invisible from the outside, which leads me to believe they are made from approximately the same material as the frame, for the anodizing to have identical appearance.

The scandium models have pins that are clearly distinct from the outside. I believe they are stainless steel.

I haven't seen prints or specs and I haven't run material tests, but I choose to rely on my experience and engineering background. I would defer to anyone with more reliable information.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I’m not holding my breath for the factory response anytime before they figure out that people are actually buying Colts and Kimbers.

But this smithing package is interesting. C&S strikes me as having the resources, if they have the interest. Someone here has an in with a multi-smith shop that could turn ‘em out in P-F numbers (and, realistically, we’re probably all familiar with the handles of folks here who’d be in... what, maybe 25-35 members?), and they’ll probably surface as this thread runs it’s course to the sea.
    We all do.

@WilsonCombat has a presence right here.

I’m willing to spearhead shopping for ‘Smiths.

For the sake of simplifying the package - I believe we should all decide on the same basegun. My vote is 442/642 - but I’m willing to be swayed to alternative choices.

One aspect that complicates a package is ammunition choice. If all of the revolvers being sent in are being zero’ed to the same load, that should simplify the ‘smithing and reduce costs. So - I’ll throw it out - what ammo?

The other aspect to consider is distance for zero. I’m biased in my experience to a 25-yard zero. But I’m willing to consider 15 or 20 as alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    We all do.

@WilsonCombat has a presence right here.

I’m willing to spearhead shopping for ‘Smiths.

For the sake of simplifying the package - I believe we should all decide on the same basegun. My vote is 442/642 - but I’m willing to be swayed to alternative choices.

One aspect that complicates a package is ammunition choice. If all of the revolvers being sent in are being zero’ed to the same load, that should simplify the ‘smithing and reduce costs. So - I’ll throw it out - what ammo?

The other aspect to consider is distance for zero. I’m biased in my experience to a 25-yard zero. But I’m willing to consider 15 or 20 as alternatives.
    148 grain HBWC’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because I'm FUCKING RevolverNERD - I've started a spreadsheet - I can see ~10 guns already (assuming everyone there buys one, except for me and Doc House, buying two).

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 8.43.18 PM.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  50.0 KB

___

If you are interested provide the following information (here in the thread or via PM, either is fine)

1) Base gun
    2) Sight preferences
    3) Ammo preference
    4) Zero distance
    5) Action Work (Yes/No)
    6) Quantity of Guns
    7) Additional things you might want (dehorn/chamfer/end shake correction, etc).

___

EXPRESSING INTEREST DOES NOT COMMIT YOU TO PURCHASE - These are strictly numbers for allowing me to shop gunsmiths and identify the best way to approach building the Ultimate P-F J-Frame - at the best cost and quality for us all.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 09-09-2018 at 08:53 PM.

User Tag List