Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The official 442/642 "pro" thread

The official 442/642 "pro" thread

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I wonder what it would take for S&W to do a run of 642 Pros?
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    More than just you and I but I’d be in for one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Maybe we could start a PF petition/pre-order thread and make it happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post

Seriously though, I’d be way in on that run, as you might guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    That question was asked before when I last visited this with you. S&W just said no and wouldnot give them hard numbers
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

We really need to push Smith to do a limited edition no-lock X42 with a 2.5" barrel, a dovetailed front sight, and a Performance Center trigger job. No cutting for moonclips, no porting, none of the various crap add-ons they always pitch.

I'd like to, at the least, collect all the folks here who'd be in, and put all the ideas in one place for future reference. As it stands now, this might just be wishful thinking, but things change. For example, if Colt keeps putting out line extensions of the new Cobra at anything even close to the rate that Kimber has coughed up skews of the K6, then that might be something causing S&W to revisit their J-frames. To wit: true Glock innovation post-1990 was pretty much glacial until some other acts started gigging the polymer arena. Or not, but may as well get a thread going anyways.

My thinking: they already have the front sight, hogged-out U-notch rear, and no-lock frame in their toolkit.

Honestly, I am with RevRob. I could even take or leave the 2.5” 640 pro barrel... It's a good idea, but honestly, if they just gave the no-lock 442 (or 642) the sights of the 43c/351c, I'd rapidly be an owner of two, plus the 43c understudy.

How is this too much to ask?

Discuss, brainstorm, and thanks in advance.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

The gun I'm constantly on the hunt for is a Circa 2010-production 2.5" J-Frame, in particular a 442/642, but they also did 438/638 and 437/637 versions of the gun. I've missed out on a couple of them over the years. These guns were just Airweight .38s with 640/M60 2.5" barrels on them. Basically, the simplest thing one could do.

But let's say we could convince Smith to build us 250 or 500 of these:

Let's call it the 642 P-F PC Pro (642 PPP?):

No Lock
    PC Action Job
    Chrome Plated Trigger
    Polished Cylinder
    Mated to that is a 640 Pro Fluted 2.1" Barrel, with Novak dovetailed front sight.
    Novak rear dovetail optional (can Smith reliably cut that dovetail into the aluminum gun?)
    15º target crown
    Factory rubber grips (because let's face it, all of us are going to replace them with our grip choices)

That should give the gun a very nice factory trigger, great sights, a touch more velocity, with more weight at the muzzle end. It should be a very shootable gun.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 09-09-2018 at 03:49 PM.

Make the base gun a no lock 340pd please

A 442 with the 640 Pro sights would do it for me. Leave out any action work but subject the guns to actual quality control before shipping--for example, don't ship guns with cracked frames under the crane from over-torquing the steel barrel into the aluminum frame. If S&W can manage those two little things I think they'll have a winner.

My only concern with 640 pro sights is threefold: One, not a fan of 3-dot. Two, there seems to have been some discrepancy in how they are zeroed--but I'll let owners comment on that. Three, not entirely sure that the rear dovetails are always successful on the steel 640s, let alone if they could cut the aluminum. I personally feel the answer lies with the 43c/352c setup... although I'd love the longer ejection stroke.

340PD would be very cool, but very expensive by the time they optioned it up. Starting with a base gun that can be found for under 4 bills all day long would put more wheelie in more hands. JMO, OMMV, etc.

All of these ideas are improvements though.

EDIT: If I could find an exemplar of the gun Rob posted--which I vaguely remember, now that I think of it--I'd buy it and pin a good sight on, then call it a day. That's an improvement too, but not yet "pro" level, IMO.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 09-09-2018 at 05:14 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    Make the base gun a no lock 340pd please
    I mean - they already make a no-lock 340 with a big dot front sight - https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...-internal-lock

Not sure what you gain by putting a 640 Pro barrel on it, besides a bit more barrel and maybe an extra ounce of steel on the front of the gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    My only concern with 640 pro sights is threefold: One, not a fan of 3-dot. Two, there seems to have been some discrepancy in how they are zeroed--but I'll let owners comment on that. Three, not entirely sure that the rear dovetails are always successful on the steel 640s, let alone if they could cut the aluminum. I personally feel the answer lies with the 43c/352c setup... although I'd love the longer ejection stroke.

340PD would be very cool, but very expensive by the time they optioned it up. Starting with a base gun that can be found for under 4 bills all day long would put more wheelie in more hands. JMO, OMMV, etc.

All of these ideas are improvements though.

EDIT: If I could find an exemplar of the gun Rob posted--which I vaguely remember, now that I think of it--I'd buy it and pin a good sight on, then call it a day. That's an improvement too, but not yet "pro" level, IMO.
    Maybe what we should do - is work with a good gunsmith and simply have a batch of 442/642 No-lock guns modified. I'd love the longer barrel of a 2.5" gun, but I'd settle for a good front sight, no lock, and a decent trigger.

Dave Lauck's sight package has always struck me as being among the best - https://www.dlsports.com/dl_jframe_sw_sights.html - It's "three-dots" but doesn't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Maybe what we should do - is work with a good gunsmith and simply have a batch of 442/642 No-lock guns modified. I'd love the longer barrel of a 2.5" gun, but I'd settle for a good front sight, no lock, and a decent trigger...
    Holy shit.

P-F group buy on a sight/action hone package. Supply your own 642/442; new or trusted. No wonder you’re a tier 1 research dog; that’s solid thinking.

Who’s in?

(PS. I agree that the 340M&P is the pick of the current offerings; I think there’s some consensus around here on that. I’m just thinking cheaper and a little bit more weight for range time, but opinions differ)

I'd be in to send a 442 or two if the gunsmith commits to a delivery date once the batch of guns is received; doesn't have to be a fast turn-around, just completion of the work by a date certain.

Site Supporter
    I would buy one simply because I would think the quality control would be better. I man the market for an air weight but won't pull the trigger. I had to return a 360j because the barrel was canted.

I’m in for a pair of either option (factory or gunsmith send-offs).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List