Thread: Recommend basic rifle setup

Recommend basic rifle setup

I don’t shoot my AR nearly enough- one of the main reason issue ammo cost.
    Would be interested in investing in a basic .223 reloading set up.

Was curious as to what others are using or started out with.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Single stage or progressive is the big choice. IMO you will never wish you didn't have a nice single stage press, so starting out with one would be good. A simple as possible is you need:
    - A Press
    - Dies
    - Powder Measure
    - Scale

Lee is a good way to start, most think RCBS and Hornady are a little better. Most of the manufacturers offer bundled setups, but you can probably build it around specific components.

It really is fun and not that hard.

ETA: Just to give you an idea:

https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION...sion+reloading

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Ars...eloading&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision...sion+reloading
    Last edited by mmc45414; 09-09-2018 at 05:31 PM.

I’d go progressive if you’re feeding an AR for carbine classes. Dillon 550 or 650.

Turret if precision. The following is a suggestion, a balance of speed and precision. You can always go single stage for precision and/or to get your feet wet.

https://www.amazon.com/Redding-Reloa...eloading+press
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I found a used Dillon 550 that I have set up for 223 reloading. I am loading 77 gr Nosler OTMs. If was shooting generic brass case 55 FMJ, I could not justify the cost of the reloading tools, components, or my time. Case prep is a pain for rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I found a used Dillon 550 that I have set up for 223 reloading. I am loading 77 gr Nosler OTMs. If was shooting generic brass case 55 FMJ, I could not justify the cost of the reloading tools, components, or my time. Case prep is a pain for rifle.
    Definitely wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze. Would I shoot more rifle if I had more rounds? Right now- I don’t buy them because they are expensive (not historically I’m sure, just more than I can afford). So I just don’t shoot AR much.
    However- if reloading- shooting more AR and possibly grabbing an AK may make sense...???!!!
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Definitely wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze. Would I shoot more rifle if I had more rounds? Right now- I don’t buy them because they are expensive (not historically I’m sure, just more than I can afford). So I just don’t shoot AR much.
    However- if reloading- shooting more AR and possibly grabbing an AK may make sense...???!!!
    IMHO - If you aren't shooting a lot of 223, just buy it. I have a Mark 7/1050, 9mm and 223 conversions, an RT1200, and mostly stick to 9mm which I can load for well under $0.10 ea.

Small Rifle Primer - $0.03 +/-
    Powder - $0.08 +/- (Usually about 25gr of a rifle powder per round)
    55gr Blaster Bullet - $0.06 +/-
    Processed brass (buy or make) +

So... $0.017+/-, + brass + a lot of labor + required equipment + labor-saving equipment

Factor in the cost of buying processed brass for starters or the price of unprocessed brass and plan carefully for brass prep:
    • Brass QC - depending on your source you may have a % of cases that need manual repair (dinged case necks) or that need to get tossed
    • Lube, Size, Clean lube.... a drag
    • An automated trimmer setup - I have tried hand-trimming, and drill-powered trimming (L.E.Wilson), and frankly it stunk in volume.
    • Crimped primer pockets? - Hand swaging, even with a Dillon SuperSwage 600 gets old fast

If you don't have a multi-stage auto-indexing press, case feeder and bullet feeder, add more time.

If you are reloading 9mm time-efficiently and cost-effectively, a reliable but budget AR-9/PCC will get you a lot of < 100 yard practice for cheap and just buy the 223.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 09-10-2018 at 10:24 AM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

User Tag List