Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: PF Hurricane season 2018

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I am visiting my folks back east in CT, with a scheduled departure of Thurs AM. Really hoping it doesn't swing north...
    If you're flying back on Southwest, changing planes at BWI might not be a good idea.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    If you're flying back on Southwest, changing planes at BWI might not be a good idea.
    Nope - United via LGA. As long as the weather is clear thursday AM, I should be OK.

Pretty sure were gonna start launching all the birds here in jacksonville NC off to kentucky soon. Waiting for word if we have to evacuate both Parris Island and SOI E, or if the students will be staying in place. Pretty sure the base is gonna shut down soon.Got my flats of water, cases of IPA, several cases of MREs. All set here in Lejuene mostly. Been seeing the some surfer types arriving in town and heading out to Topsail, waves are probably pretty good for the next few days.... Takes all types I guess.

I bought a Berkey filter earlier in the year, and I’m sold on gravity filters for “bug-in” situations. We’ve had two major water main breaks this year, that left us with disgusting clay filled tap water, and the filter has worked like a champ. The Berkey filters themselves aren’t very durable, and they will clog up quickly with dirty water, so a sand filter would be a good idea.

A DIY gravity system and sand filter, made out of some 5 gallon buckets, pvc pipe and berkey filters will cost less than $150 and be able to provide 20+ gallons of water a day for months on end.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    I'm in the UK all week and flying back Saturday (should land early-mid afternoon).

Our house, a 3story townhouse entirely above ground), is not prone to flooding, so we should be good from that perspective. Power in our area is pretty reliable, so we're not likely to lose power either. However, with me out of country, I'm worried about my wife and kids having to deal with the storm on their own. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

Chris

This one might make me finally get a generator... worst has only been a day or two without power.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

This could be BAD! The track looks very similar to Isabel. Lots of trees down that caused power outages. We lost power for a week.

The rain for the week leading up to the expected landfall this weekend is only going to make matters worse. All we can do at this point is prepare for the worse and hope for the best.

We're on top of a hill with excellent drainage, so I'm not too worried.

However, do you guys know of any maps that show typical flood spots in Northern Virginia, particularly for streets? It'd help to project closures. It's insane how quickly water backs up here in even just a regular heavy rain storm. I know the little ramp to get around the Memorial Circle underneath the Arlington bridge floods pretty easy, and in addition the other night when it rained real heavy 395 North flooded out right before you go up the hill for exit 7a.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I don't think we'll get the brunt of it since we're about 100 mi inland, but still makes me glad I already have several 5 gallon gas tanks and on a whim bought the Harbor Freight generator that @LittleLebowski shared in the other thread. Still not sure yet if we should open it up to run it or just keep it on hand since we've been considering returning it and are within the 90 day window, but definitely nice to have one less thing to worry about.

A google search for “Virginia flood maps” and “Virginia flood zones” got a lot of responses that looked valid, but I’m not a local.

For the big picture, the National Hurricane Center has a new “Key Messages” page:
    https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...sages#contents

User Tag List