Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Hit Factor Scoring as an Evaluation of Skill

Shooting limited minor from my carry rig sounds like fun. I think I better shoot from open for a little bit until the local guys figure out I'm not a tool bag. Or maybe until they figure out I am a tool bag. All depends on perspective. I'm definitely going to work all my dry fire from appendix now with that goal in mind.

I do not think making M was very hard. I agree with Peally - consistent daily practice for 30 min will get most people there in an year at the most if that is their goal. Wining a real major match on the other hand is way more difficult. The classification system does not cover all the skills required to win a real major match. However, just like Les, I really liked chasing the card in USPSA as well.
    Last edited by cheby; 09-13-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Triggered warning.

All you guys that made M "easily". You just made the cheap shot (prod C class and two strip BJJ white belt) "unleash the fury" list for Pfestivus!

Hint, you may be ordered off a lawn

Once you’re already A class (or maybe B), I agree that a year of daily practice will get you to M.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

To get to B, you need to stop screwing around and clean up the fundamentals
    To get to A, you need to start practicing in the right way. It's not that difficult. Get some books and just follow the routine.
    To get to M, you need to identify your personal weaknesses and strengths and work around them. Know your limitations. Everybody is different. Some are more accurate but slow - they need to push speed. Some are fast but lack accuracy. They need different routine. Some are more athletic. Some more flexible. Some have a lot of time and can go to the range everyday while some can't. You gotta think out of the box to find your way.
    To get to GM... well, I did not figure out that part yet To shoot on the GM level, you have no time to doubt any shot. You just don't have time for that.
    Last edited by cheby; 09-13-2018 at 04:37 PM.

double post
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 09-13-2018 at 04:14 PM.

I don't disagree with most of what @cheby is saying. However, I do disagree that it is "easy". It was not easy for me, except maybe in hindsight. We're talking about years of commitment, daily practice, maybe coaching and classes, and 50k+ rounds. This is equivalent to a black belt in many martial arts (although not BJJ).

Steve Anderson likes to talk about how making GM is easy if only you do X,Y, and Z. I like Steve's material, but frankly this is marketing BS. Hard work and a refusal to quit in the face of frustration and discouragement are required as well as doing the proper training. Taking shooting to the highest levels is HARD, and I like it.

Now, you'll have to excuse me. I'm off to do some live fire practice.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 09-13-2018 at 04:16 PM.

I guess what I meant by "easy" is it is doable if you follow the routine even if you have a full time job and limited budget. Some things are not doable for me regardless of anything. Ballet dancing, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    I guess what I meant by "easy" is it is doable if you follow the routine even if you have a full time job and limited budget. Some things are not doable for me regardless of anything. Ballet dancing, for example.
    I’d pay $200 to see you in a tutu.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’d pay $200 to see you in a tutu.
    Make it $1000 and I will shoot a match dressed up like that. You provide the tutu. The Halloween match is coming up soon. It is gotta be in Open though, haha

User Tag List