Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Hit Factor Scoring as an Evaluation of Skill

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Age is huge - I compare myself to my shooting buddies who are mostly 20-30 years younger than I am, and some are also more athletically gifted. I work WAY harder for my gains than they do. It’s just an inescapable fact. The process of myleination gets slower as you age and your eyes and reflexes simply aren’t what they once were. What I have is more resources and more maturity in my approach.
    I dunno... I've seen some guys come in at 50 and crack the nut pretty quick on A-M. Everyone is different tho.
    That said, without focus, without work, it is slower process.

Dry fire for me comes in fits and spurts - I get serious for a while then life happens and I just can’t hold it all together. I need to work on that. This is something that I can control
    If you're grinding it out, it has to be an everyday thing, it has to be an everyday push. 5 minutes, all in is better than 30 minutes 50%.

I find one thing and just do that when I'm really pressing.

I do spend a bit of time just playing with the blue gun while on conference calls, etc.

I had a shot at making Master not long ago but slipped and USPSA has changed the game. I haven’t really gotten my head around how the changes affect me yet.
    The classifiers are only 5% harder in most cases. Don't worry about it.

Run the numbers, some just require you to speed up a bit.

Sheer number of classifiers shot has a huge effect on speed of advancement. People shooting 3 or 4 matches a month move up so much faster than people shooting one a month or less (with identical scores.)
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    It was allegedly Joyce who decided we should be forced to be more accurate and increased the scoring from half a second to a full second per point down.
    One second per point down was what Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn wanted back when IDPA was founded. Others felt the scoring was too harsh for beginner shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    One second per point down was what Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn wanted back when IDPA was founded. Others felt the scoring was too harsh for beginner shooters.
    There are a number of ways that Time Plus scoring goes full retard relative to Hit Factor scoring, and this is one of them.

The "easy math" numbers of 1 second per point down, or 1/2 second per point down will break down in different ways.

Not to mention that tanking a stage under Time Plus can bleed heavily over into other stages. There is no maximum stage time that you can earn under Time Plus. With Hit Factor scoring, the worst you can do on a stage is 0 Hit Factor (Points per Second).

I won't even get into punitive penalties of IDPA (example, not the only system using Time+ scoring), but I will claim that "Procedural" penalties against points earned in [USPSA] Hit Factor scoring also make far more sense.

Yes, Hit Factor scoring is more complicated than Time+ - and it is worth it.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

With 1s to 3s added for hits outside the -0 circle, it can be a viable strategy to scan groups of targets and make up hits.

I don’t think that’s a good game.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Outside of the shooters that are very new and/or bad, one second per shot penalties is ridiculous. You're almost better off just doing a bill drill on each target.
    Last edited by Peally; 09-20-2018 at 03:41 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I hear that a lot.
    What is less widely known is that the actual startup was at 0.3 second per point down, almost immediately increased to 0.5.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Interesting discussion.

HF scoring is proof that God exists and wants us to be happy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    The classifiers are only 5% harder in most cases.
    5% is not gigantic, but it is significant, and increases the already present incentive toward hero or zero behavior, especially if you're sitting just under the borderline from one class to the next. Also, some are considerably more than 5% harder:

"Fluffy's Revenge 1" - its Production HHF went from ~12.5 to ~14.5, which is +16%. Scores that used to be GM-level on that one are now at the high end of A class - 95% of 12.5 is 11.88, which is 82% vs the new HHF of 14.5.

"Can you Count?" was already up in the stratosphere, but now it's even higher - it went from ~14.9 HHF up to 15.95 or so, or about +7%.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    5% is not gigantic, but it is significant, and increases the already present incentive toward hero or zero behavior, especially if you're sitting just under the borderline from one class to the next. Also, some are considerably more than 5% harder:

"Fluffy's Revenge 1" - its Production HHF went from ~12.5 to ~14.5, which is +16%. Scores that used to be GM-level on that one are now at the high end of A class - 95% of 12.5 is 11.88, which is 82% vs the new HHF of 14.5.

"Can you Count?" was already up in the stratosphere, but now it's even higher - it went from ~14.9 HHF up to 15.95 or so, or about +7%.
    I just shot that classifier this weekend. A bit rusty, made up a shot on steel. 10HF. 65%. ok then...

User Tag List