Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Hit Factor Scoring as an Evaluation of Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Lol, I wear men's pants all the time, not sure what you're worried about.
    Some of us have met you. That’s why we are worried.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I’ve read this thread with interest, and like others here I really don’t think there is a better system of evaluating overall shooting skill than hit factor scoring. Faster and more accurate is the definiation or hit factor scoring, which is the definition of shooting skill for the vast majority of practical pistol sports.

A lot has been mentioned here about training and using hit factor scoring. I’m not smart enough to do dirty HF math on every drill that I do in training, so I rarely calculate HF during training. On the odd time that I have, it was to figure out some shooting problem that I could always solve by just “seeing my sights and calling my shots”. Training for me is usually breaking down components of drills or components of stages and trying to improve those pieces in preparation for a match. On the core drills I do, I know what PAR time I am trying to beat and kinda know what acceptable hits mean at those speeds, so I guess, HF is considered, just not calculated on every run.

For me calculating HF is for skill measurement, not necessarily for skill building. If that makes sense.
    “Dirty” Hit Factor math is actually extremely helpful for me.

In minor HF USPSA scoring, an A nets you 5 points, a C 3 points and a D 1 point.

Add up all the points available. This is the most you can score. After my run, I can subtract 2 points for each C, and 4 for each D. Or, thinking another way, a D “costs” the same as 2 C’s.

Do a run to get a time baseline. Divide the time by the max points to get the max Hot Factor for that time.

I like to use some ‘typical’ hit factors for my dirty math.

On a fast HF stage, like El Prez, 60 points in 6 secs will get a 60 pts / 6s = 10 Hit Factor, or 10 points/sec. Or, each point is worth a 10th of a second. A Charlie costs 2 points, or is the same as ading 2/10ths of a second to your time. A D costs 4 points, or 4/10’s of a second.

On a more typical 32 round field course at our matches, one could earn 32*5 = 160 points. If you run it clean in about 27 seconds, you would net a 6 HF. At 6HF, or 6 Points per second, a C costs 2 points, or 1/3 of a second. A D costs 4 points, or 2/3 of a second. A miss that isn’t mde up costs 5 points, plus a 10 point penalty, or 2.5 seconds!

You can do a lot of aiming in 2.5 seconds, and spending an extra 1-2 tenths of a second cleaning up a sight picture from a D to a C to an A actually pays off.

Maybe this helps, maybe it makes it clear as mud.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I do quick HF calculations, but use time instead of points, which I learned from TGO. I mostly use either a 5 or 10 HF, and minor scoring,

On a 5 HF stage, a C costs .40, a D .80, and a miss 3.0 seconds. On a 10 HF stage, half those amounts.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I can see the ease of scoring on a USPSA target in accordance with which zone you hit. Is there a standard that works best? A zone = 5 points? 10?

How/Who determines PAR? Do you adjust anything for distance?

I know these are basic questions- but I’ve never worked with H/F before!
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Here is a hit factor shooter. One of the most stupifying shooting vids I have ever seen! One charlie shot on this stage.

I couldn't find it on youtube but I suspect Ben's page is wide open.

https://www.facebook.com/ben.stoeger...Z6CI9x8hhJeQDw
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Let’s consider a hypothetical drill requiring two hits to a 3x5 at 25 yards.

Plan A is a fixed four second par time.

Shooter 1 misses in three seconds and fails.
    Shooter 2 misses in six seconds and fails.
    Shooter 3 hits in two seconds and passes.
    Shooter 4 hits in 3.99 seconds and passes.
    Shooter 5 hits in 4.01 seconds and fails.
    Shooter 6 hits in 12.00 and fails.

Plan B is hit factor scoring where each hit is 5 points and a miss is -10 points.

Shooter 1 misses in three seconds and has a hit factor of zero.
    Shooter 2 misses in six seconds and has a hit factor of zero.
    Shooter 3 hits in two seconds and has a hit factor of 5.0 (10 points divided by 2 seconds).
    Shooter 4 hits in 3.99 and has a hit factor of 2.506
    Shooter 5 hits in 4.01 and has a hit factor of 2.4937
    Shooter six hits in 12.0 seconds and has a hit factor of .8333

Doesn’t the hit factor scoring better reflect the differences between the various shooters’ performances?
    Yes! That is what we call the "wheelhouse".
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Cool. So if I slowed down to confirm where I could make the shots (which I already knew from other time based precision shooting). Then slowly accelerated, concentrating on grip and press etc to improve the speed until under standard (over reps), and shooting other precision drills under time contraints; without calculating a hit factor, but counting C's and D's as fails, am I a hit factor shooter without the formula?
    Sorta, but not really. If you're doing a FAST drill or something else, Hit Factor is kinda "why bother": You either got your hits and made the time cut off or you suck.

Hit Factor scoring really shines on intermediate drills where you have to shoot, go somewhere/perform some task, then shoot again.

I'd even venture to say that, while we calculate hit factor for classifiers, we just need the times and "shape of the hits" in practice to determine if they're useful or not. Most classifiers are just too condensed for hit factor to really become of value...

The subtle distinction here is the "in practice" bit...

to improve the speed until under standard
    The question is HOW fast is useful? This is where going backwards from a classifier to determine the speed at the different classifications becomes useful - but that isn't practice or using HF scoring in practice. It is more like using the HF to determine the yardstick and goal.

Sorry - gotta go get some pants on...

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post

Hit Factor scoring really shines on intermediate drills where you have to shoot, go somewhere/perform some task, then shoot again.
    That's interesting. Like Dr. No's point here in the past about "80% moving".

Because if its only shooting weird things can happen.

Two shooters. Task for easy math is D2 at 15 yards

#1 shoots an A and a D in 1.50 seconds. HF 4.0

#2 shoots two Cs in 2.0 seconds. HF 3.0

The D is wide "miss" by #1

The two Cs might be near misses at 12:00 of the A zone by #2.

By HF #1 is the better shooter.

But then as you said, add 20 more targets with movement across 20 or 30 yards of running and shooting in and shooting out of positions and the HF considering all that time of movement comes into play heavily to sort things out.

Two shooters. Task for easy math is D2 at 15 yards

#1 shoots an A and a D in 1.50 seconds. HF 4.0

#2 shoots two Cs in 2.0 seconds. HF 3.0

The D is wide "miss" by #1

The two Cs might be near misses at 12:00 of the A zone by #2.

By HF #1 is the better shooter.

But then as you said, add 20 more targets with movement across 20 or 30 yards of running and shooting in and shooting out of positions and the HF considering all that time of movement comes into play heavily to sort things out.
    Nothing requires you to use USPSA minor scoring and USPSA targets. Design your own target zones and assign points on whatever basis you feel relevant to your shooting.

Don’t get sidetracked by the movement discussion. First, classifiers where most people get their classification rarely involve movement. Second, to quote JJ, it is the 10 percent of movement into and out of position, where the time is made or lost. For the length of most USPSA stages, flat running is hardly a factor as distances are short, and often it involves shooting on the move.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

This.

Part of the problem is that people define "drill" in a variety of ways. If we're just talking about short shooting drills (~5-10 shots), then HF scoring get more and more limited.

Treat those drills more like pass-fail, timed. You may try to decrease the time aspect, tho, to make it more challenging...

...and this is where USPSA gets interesting: Shooting the gun is one task, but movement, efficiency, etc are all other things that add up. Tracking efficiency of movement, etc using HFactor scoring can help someone figure out where they're lacking.

User Tag List