Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downrange Target Cameras

Downrange Target Cameras

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with the cameras that sit down range and show your target wirelessly? Anything to buy or avoid?
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

John - I’ve been playing with a solution that repurposes old iPhones or iPads with the “Presence” app.

Details here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....sence-quot-App

There are several free Video over WiFi solutions like this, Presence is just the one I picked.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with the cameras that sit down range and show your target wirelessly? Anything to buy or avoid?
    Avoid the SME Bullseye corporation.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Avoid the SME Bullseye corporation.
    Any more specific feedback on Bullseye? What about Longshot? Following the thread with some interest.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

- William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by 1911nerd View Post
    Any more specific feedback on Bullseye? What about Longshot? Following the thread with some interest.
    They turned previous generations of their equipment into bricks with an app update, then recommended people buy new cameras.

Since downrange means potentially a target, an old phone might do if you already have it, but that seems expensive. My wallet would tend to something more like a Raspberry PI W computer, with one of the older, still made 5 megapixel cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    They turned previous generations of their equipment into bricks with an app update, then recommended people buy new cameras.
    Mine still works only because I have a spare old tablet that I never connect to the real internet and the original app is still there. Very unethical.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Mine still works only because I have a spare old tablet that I never connect to the real internet and the original app is still there. Very unethical.
    Ugh. Yeah, that is a hard "no". I fiddled with a Raspberry Pi some time back, but had a poor experience with WiFi at the range. Should be relatively easy to fix, but at the end of the day I am willing to pay for a quality product that Just Works. I don't really want to have to fiddle with a Pringles can to get more than 100 yd range.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

- William Pitt the Younger

I don't really want to have to fiddle with a Pringles can to get more than 100 yd range.
    I find Coke Zero cans are good for +10 dB SNR.

Name:  E140528D-F1CD-42E3-989D-D74177EA8880.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  27.8 KB

Ugh. Yeah, that is a hard "no". I fiddled with a Raspberry Pi some time back, but had a poor experience with WiFi at the range. Should be relatively easy to fix, but at the end of the day I am willing to pay for a quality product that Just Works. I don't really want to have to fiddle with a Pringles can to get more than 100 yd range.
    Just have the Pi write to SD card instead of wifi. I have a Garmin VIRB which is a gopro like camera I use, I just stick in a 128G card and turn it on and let it run.

User Tag List