Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Border Patrol’s Purple shell casings

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    That purple 5.56 has an OTM type hollow point and is more accurate than out SP type duty ammo. I grab the purple 5.56 when I can.
    I had no idea the purple .223 was that quality. I bought two boxes just to go with my purple Lancer mags; guess I'll be sitting on those forever.

Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    I had no idea the purple .223 was that quality. I bought two boxes just to go with my purple Lancer mags; guess I'll be sitting on those forever.
    We've shot the purple 223 on steel out of 475 yards with pretty surprising results. I certainly wouldn't call it "match ammo" but for training ammo it is probably better than it needs to be.

With that said, it does seem to be particularly dirty ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    We've shot the purple 223 on steel out of 475 yards with pretty surprising results. I certainly wouldn't call it "match ammo" but for training ammo it is probably better than it needs to be.

With that said, it does seem to be particularly dirty ammo.
    Powder, or is it something to do with the dye (burns up in the chamber?)
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Powder, or is it something to do with the dye (burns up in the chamber?)
    Although the purple will come off with a little handling, the fouling seems to be pretty much powder based.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I have the better part of a case of this stuff. 180gr .40. One of these rounds had a bulged case and locked up my Glock 35 solid. Had to hit the rear of the slide with a torque wrench to put it into battery.
    WWB in any other color still smells as sweet.

I learned something in this thread about the 9/40 cases. I’ve also bought a bunch of HST overruns, and just assumed the brass cases were cost cutting.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I saw these at the last USPSA match I shot. I was thinking the same thing, that someone had colored their brass so they could ID it after the match was over. Someone told me it was .gov practice ammo.

Used the handle...
    This is why we don't let doctors have tools. Let me have the wrench, doc.
    Here, I'll trade you a nice rubber hammer for it
    Last edited by MistWolf; 09-10-2018 at 10:03 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I have the better part of a case of this stuff. 180gr .40. One of these rounds had a bulged case and locked up my Glock 35 solid. Had to hit the rear of the slide with a torque wrench to put it into battery.
    I haven't experienced it personally but there have been reports of split cases with the purple 40 in the P2000. Most times the case extracts and ejects fine but every once in awhile the split case will stick in the chamber. Several theories have been floated. I believe the most likely is that the zinc coating and the staining process makes the base material somewhat brittle.

Not ideal but also not necessarily a deal breaker since this is meant to be inexpensive range ammo and not premier duty stuff.

Also, while it may have happened, I haven't seen any splits or cracks with the 223 stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    No experience with the Purple ammo, but I can say that appearance is not a guarantee.

I was the head firearms instructor at my last agency. Years ago one of our officers passed away from natural causes. (Great Guy still miss him) but not a gun guy...

When I inspected his duty weapon and magazines, one of the magazines had Hydra Shok, Black Talon, and Blazer Aluminum Training ammo mixed in it.

We shot our duty ammo yearly and replaced it. The Hydra Shok hadn't been issued for a couple years, the Black Talon was current issue for duty and the Blazer was current for training. So there were different colors of bullet as well as different case colors and type of metal as well as hollowpoint vs. FMJ.

So much for appearance....
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Site Supporter
    Weapon and ammo inspections are done monthly by our Sergeants assisted by a firearms instructor if one is available.
    I have lost count, over three decades, of the number of duty magazines containing any number of practice FMJ rounds.
    We even had one transplanted LE part time retiree bailiff “dutch load” his two spare .40 mags with alternating Ranger T service rounds and FMJ practice ammo. He stated that that “was the way we did it at home”. That was swiftly corrected and he left our Office soon thereafter.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 09-20-2018 at 03:49 PM.

User Tag List