Thread: A Case For Not Using a Modular Silencer

Smile A Case For Not Using a Modular Silencer

So there I was...shooting my AAC Ti-Rant 45M mounted on my H&K USP45 Tactical. The Ti-Rant 45M is a silence that can been set up full sized or shortened by removing the forward tube portion and replacing it with the endcap. While shooting it, it was going poof, poof, poof, then BOOM! The forward tube with the endcap and a bunch of baffles goes through the paper target. I did not see it go. I was at an indoor range. The RO and I scan the 25 yard bay with flashlights but be couldn't see anything. It was gone! He couldn't shut down the bay because the house was full. I packed up and went home. He called my later and said he found one baffle but nothing in the back wall or bullet trap. I guess I'm calling AAC on Monday.

I suspect the problem stems from the USP45. All my other 45 pistol mounts use .578 x 28 threads. The USP45T is new to me and uses a M16x1 LEFT hand twist. As part of habit, I will crank down on the can after a few shots or so. I think by cranking the can with a LEFT hand twist, I probably loosed the forward part of the can which is secured with a right hand twist.

If you loosened it, you might have had a bullet strike baffles even in a non modular can.

Site Supporter
    So the problem is not being modular, but having left hand threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    So the problem is not being modular, but having left hand threads?
    Sounds like a combination of the two - having sets of opposing threads.

Just got my Ghost-M out of jail so good tip to be aware of, Paul.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Back in the saddle! AAC took care of me at no cost to me. I took the precaution of making some witness marks this time.

Name:  IMG_2897.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  28.3 KB

Left hand threads combined with other right hand thread components is the devil's work. I tried the factory left Glock barrels with my Sico Octane and it was a huge PITA. The booster housing (which is not supposed to come off but does) and the piston housing are right hand thread and the barrel mount is left hand thread. I could never figure out a good way to keep everything tight, tightening one thing loosened the other. It was even more fun when it is all hot from shooting. I went through a couple of end cap strikes before I gave up on left hand threaded barrels and went to right hand threads, much easier.

Interesting, I had a similar issue with the spring retainer walking off instead of the whole can when using my 13x1 LH piston on my USP9T. Rugged sent me a "looser" spring retainer and the issue seems to have gone away.

As for the modular can issues, I solved it by taking the extension module off my Obsidian and putting it in the safe forever upon bringing it home.
    Last edited by einherjarvalk; 10-28-2018 at 05:05 PM.

User Tag List