Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Act of Valor

Act of Valor

Just go see it.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Poem at the end:

"Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
    Trouble no one about his religion.
    Respect others in their views and demand that they respect yours.
    Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
    Seek to make your life long and of service to your people.
    Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    Always give a word or sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend,
    or even a stranger, if in a lonely place.
    Show respect to all people, but grovel to none.
    When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light,
    for your life, for your strength.
    Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living.
    If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself.
    Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools
    and robs the spirit of its vision.
    When your time comes to die,
    be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death,
    so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time
    to live their lives over again in a different way.
    Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home."

--Tecumseh

The Mrs. and I went to see it and enjoyed it.

Some of the reviews I have read claim the acting is poor but compared to some other action movies I have seen, including Sylvester Stallone or Arnold Schwarzenegger stuff, I thought it was good.

The action scenes are well done and will get your heart rate up.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

i jokingly told my fiancee to bring some tissues to an action movie, she wishes she would have. i thought it was a well done movie, it had some sweet action scenes. the acting may not have been big name hollywood actors but i thought they did a fine job. ill have to use my mechanix gloves while shooting more now haha

Going to see it in an hour.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I believe Kipling's "If" would be appropriate as well. But the Tecumseh poem is brilliant.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

My 19 year old and I thought it excellent. The action scenes are almost peerless and they went the extra mile with small details like a 1st person view (helmet cam) of elevating the M4 muzzle and touching a team mates shoulder as you pass behind him.

The acting and character development was sufficient for this movie. As noted above, at least as good as Arnold or Sly action movies, probably better. So I can't deduct any points for that. Some think the Senior Chief may actually have a future in cinema. I wouldn't be surprised.

I read that some in the Navy are like "Oh sh&$ what now?" as while they intended this to be a good recruiting tool, they did NOT expect it to become a major societal event as it has (it's the #1 Box Office movie this weekend). But it's a lesson for Hollywood on many levels.

It's non-stop action that's for sure. Definitely recommened. Like Blackhawk Down, this one felt like a sacrement.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Aside from the red lasers with NVGs, the technical details were excellent.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Aside from the red lasers with NVGs, the technical details were excellent.
    I sat there and figured THAT had to have been deliberate "disinformation". The actual method and the visual affect on camera may have triggered way to much mainstream interest.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The buzzing mini-guns are worth the price of admission alone. The sound man did a spectacular job of capturing the sound of weapons fire. It was almost as if "you were right there."

And yes, the Senior Chief was the quietest and at the same time, the most menacing man I've seen on the screen in a long, long time. I hope he gets a chance to do more work in the movies.

I noticed in the credits that Thell Reed was one of the armorers for this flick.
    Last edited by NETim; 02-26-2012 at 01:30 PM.

User Tag List