Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Hunting Rifle

That was a great thread. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    Some good info on choosing a hunting rifle and glass and mounts.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ighlight=Tikka

Search for Tikka and you will find a lot of discussions.
    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Memento Mori

Which game zone are you going to hunt? Hellhole Swamp is vastly different than the mountains of GZ1. In either case, most stand hunt, and a small portion dog hunt. no staying in the field for days like in the west.

For several years I used a wood/blued levergun without issue. I now use a single-shot 16" Handi-Rifle in 300BO with a can and a fastfire 3 because it's lightweight and quiet.

Buy whatever excites you and makes you want to go out into the woods. The main obstacle you will face will be hunts where you don't see a thing. Have a rifle that helps keep you motivated to try again.

Another vote for a Tikka in 308, and skip the brake because they’re really obnoxious and not necessary unless you’re in a few special circumstances.

For a meat & taters gun, spend all future investment dollars on better optics, namely better glass for low light, and illuminated reticle for same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mostly zones 1 and 2. I'm happy to sit in the woods for hours without seeing anything. Those are some of the most restful times I have.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by fwrun View Post
    Which game zone are you going to hunt? Hellhole Swamp is vastly different than the mountains of GZ1. In either case, most stand hunt, and a small portion dog hunt. no staying in the field for days like in the west.

For several years I used a wood/blued levergun without issue. I now use a single-shot 16" Handi-Rifle in 300BO with a can and a fastfire 3 because it's lightweight and quiet.

Buy whatever excites you and makes you want to go out into the woods. The main obstacle you will face will be hunts where you don't see a thing. Have a rifle that helps keep you motivated to try again.
    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Memento Mori

I've had a Tikka on my want list for a while now.

Any cheaper and I feel like you get into junk territory. Any more cash and you may as well go full Q Fix.

A T3/T3X in .308 or 6.5 with an NF SHV 4-14 F1 would cover a lot of bases.

I also recommend taking a look at some of CZ's choices, excellent old-world quality at excellent prices. For deer and boar, I prefer .308 or 7.62x39. Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I also recommend taking a look at some of CZ's choices, excellent old-world quality at excellent prices. For deer and boar, I prefer .308 or 7.62x39. Best, Jon
    Love my Tikka but don't discount the
    CZ 527 in 7.62x39 snd a nice 1-4 Leupold.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

When I realized that Jeff Cooper co-designed/endorsed Steyr Mannilicher Scout Rifle has only a 5 round magazine, with a spare magazine in the stock underside, it really provided grounds for me to reassess in a very positive sense the CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62 x 39 as a viable light hunting/scout rifle. Mine has a two-magazine stock pouch from Strikehard Gear (their Mosin Nagant buttstock stripper clip pouch, which splendidly accommodates 2 CZ 527 magazines)
    https://www.strikehardgear.com/mosin...ttstock-pouch/.

I have an exceptionally light, easy handling, durable rifle that shoots a battle (and hunt) proven intermediate cartridge (equivalent to the .30-.30), with an exceptional trigger. The Mauser action scaled down for 7.62 x 39/.223/5.56 works very, very nicely.

I'm keeping mine with the OEM iron sights; mine is a 2015 production one with the bead front sight; newer production CZ 527 Carbines come with a fiber optic front sight.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-18-2018 at 01:09 PM.

What about something like a Howa Mini Action in 6.5 or 7.62x39?

However, I'm pretty sure hunting newbies is illegal in at least 48 states.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    When I realized that Jeff Cooper co-designed/endorsed Steyr Mannilicher Scout Rifle has only a 5 round magazine, with a spare magazine in the stock underside, it really provided grounds for me to reassess in a very positive sense the CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62 x 39 as a viable light hunting/scout rifle. Mine has a two-magazine stock pouch from Strikehard Gear (their Mosin Nagant buttstock stripper clip pouch, which splendidly accommodates 2 CZ 527 magazines)
    https://www.strikehardgear.com/mosin...ttstock-pouch/.

I have an exceptionally light, easy handling, durable rifle that shoots a battle (and hunt) proven intermediate cartridge (equivalent to the .30-.30), with an exceptional trigger. The Mauser action scaled down for 7.62 x 39/.223/5.56 works very, very nicely.

I'm keeping mine with the OEM iron sights; mine is a 2015 production one with the bead front sight; newer production CZ 527 Carbines come with a fiber optic front sight.

Best, Jon
    CZ now offers the CZ 527 with a 16" threaded barrel in 2 or 3 chamberings including 300 BLK. No irons though. They announced it right after I bought my AAC Remington Micro 7 and had it converted to use detachable box mags. A little sooner and I likely would have bought one of those instead, though the Micro 7 isn't bad.
    Last edited by Robinson; 09-18-2018 at 02:45 PM.

User Tag List