Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: PSA: not all PMAGS are created equal

Grab the mag by the bottom and try fling a round out if it. If it causes a transposition you'll probably have trouble if it rides around in a pouch or vehicle.

I've observed this with g.i. mags too. It's not a problem unique to early M3 Pmags.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Grab the mag by the bottom and try fling a round out if it. If it causes a transposition you'll probably have trouble if it rides around in a pouch or vehicle.

I've observed this with g.i. mags too. It's not a problem unique to early M3 Pmags.
    Thanks for clarifying this. It was my next question.

Well crap, I still have a pile of Gen2's and Okay/NHMTG/Colt mags that I had no intention of updating.

G.I. masgs are not very prone to doing it, mostly Brownells and Centers with the feedlips at the wider end of the spec are the usual offenders.

Magpul returned my Friday afternoon inquiry first thing monday morning. That is freaking AWESOME customer service. I love these guys. I'll update this thread when I hear back from them about the new mags.

It is very interesting that they say the size of the ammo can contribute to the problem. This has me wondering about reloaded 5.56 using small base dies.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

We did see this in a few instances with some of the older PMAGs that were on the large side of the spec range when used with some ammo that was on the small side of the spec range.

We did add some small ribs on the inside of the mag bodies to accommodate for this.

You should not have this issue with the 40 round PMAGS, unless it is your ammo that is undersized. As far as the Gen2 and GenM3 PMAGS, we can see about having them replaced for you.

When you get the chance, please let us know how many of each PMAG (i.e. Gen2 or GenM3, window or non-window and color as well as capacity) and we will see what we can do for you on this.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 09-17-2018 at 02:02 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I contacted Magpul about the issue with my Gen M3 mags and a representative of the company offered to replace them. I did not ask about replacing any Gen 2 magazines because the Gen 2s never had the extra rib added to fix this issue. If Magpul is even offering to replace customers' Gen 2 mags with updated Gen M3 ones, that speaks very highly of their customer service.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Interesting about the ammo size comment from Magpul. All my big mags that didn't fail the smack test are loaded with GGG M855 ammo. The 10 rounder that DID fail is loaded with Federal XM855. I just went and tested them again, and now none of them are pitching the 2nd round.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Magpul returned my Friday afternoon inquiry first thing monday morning. That is freaking AWESOME customer service. I love these guys. I'll update this thread when I hear back from them about the new mags.

It is very interesting that they say the size of the ammo can contribute to the problem. This has me wondering about reloaded 5.56 using small base dies.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

We did see this in a few instances with some of the older PMAGs that were on the large side of the spec range when used with some ammo that was on the small side of the spec range.

We did add some small ribs on the inside of the mag bodies to accommodate for this.

You should not have this issue with the 40 round PMAGS, unless it is your ammo that is undersized. As far as the Gen2 and GenM3 PMAGS, we can see about having them replaced for you.

When you get the chance, please let us know how many of each PMAG (i.e. Gen2 or GenM3, window or non-window and color as well as capacity) and we will see what we can do for you on this.

Thanks,
    That is a good American company right there. I am glad they got in contact with you. The few times I got ahold of them about lil stuff they answered right away. And the dudes I knew that needed a lot more help they also did them.

Finally got the video of the puking pmag uploaded:

• It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I’ve noticed I can replicate this issue with Gen 2 pmags if I hold them from the bottom and flick my wrist as mentioned earlier but I can’t recall ever seeing this occur with a Gen 2 mag without having caused it purposely. Are the early Gen M3 mags more prone to this problem than the Gen 2s?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Sees thread...goes to basement...checks PMAG stash...damn it!
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List