Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PSA: not all PMAGS are created equal

Magpul is very aware. I've been involved with this problem since 2012. You need to look for the nubs inside the feedlips. They were added during 2015. All sand and MCT 30s will have them. If you want to be safe, make sure you buy black Gen M3 30s from 2016 or newer. Slide the mag up in the package and you can read the date stamp.

I was a very early adopter of the Gen M3s and I've been sticking (and gone around and around) with Magpul on these mags, but they are solid now. I have enough faith in them now that I shoot Gen M3 30s exclusively, and it comes after a long relationship with Okay/Colt mags and a very successful four years with MRev Pmags.

I don't work for Magpul in any capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    You mean they will replace all the old mags? I have quite a few...
    Magpul took care of my buddy on shit load of pmags he had. Contact them, they are solid dudes.

So, I'm just a slow cud chewer here. Should I contact Magpul at some point and see about getting these M2 and M3 mags without that extra ridge exchanged? I have a bunch in storage, and would hate for them to be a problem when I can finally use them.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    So, I'm just a slow cud chewer here. Should I contact Magpul at some point and see about getting these M2 and M3 mags without that extra ridge exchanged? I have a bunch in storage, and would hate for them to be a problem when I can finally use them.
    Yes. Worth a try.

The M2 mags have never had the nubs. Only the 30 round Gen M3.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Magpul took care of my buddy on shit load of pmags he had. Contact them, they are solid dudes.
    Message submitted at Magpul. I'll report back if/when I hear. Thanks dude.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Message submitted at Magpul. I'll report back if/when I hear. Thanks dude.
    Interested to know which flavors you have and wind up getting "replaced."
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Great thread.
    #RESIST

Have I misunderstood something (again)?

I took an unused PMag out of its wrapping, verified that the mold code is 22, fully loaded it, and then took a plastic tool and gently (emphasis on the word gently)tried to push the bullet on the second round upwards. And this is the end result:

Name:  IMG_20180915_124618671.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  20.4 KB

There is extra molding in the magazine body, but just from trying to lift the bullet upwards it doesn't appear to stop it in any way.

(Yes, throwing the magazine around would probably be a more realistic test. But that is expensive ammo in that magazine, and I am unwilling to beat up one of my expensive PMags from my limited supply unless I have a very good reason to... So I'm hoping some of you who live in the land of unlimited cheap magazines do the more destructive testing.)

Try just slapping the baseplate or sides of the mag. Also is it legal for you to drive around all day with the loaded magazine in your car? I only discovered this issue existed when I loaded my mags in my plate carrier and put it in the trunk for a patrol shift. At he end of the shift all of the second rounds had shifted.

My posts only represent my opinions and do not necessarily reflect the official policies and opinions of my employer. Any obvious spelling errors are likely the result of a tiny iPhone keyboard and autocorrect.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List