Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PSA: not all PMAGS are created equal

Great.. now I need to go dig through my magazines...

Thanks for the info!

I had a guy in carbine class that was using PMAGs he had purchased earlier that week and had just removed from the wrapper earlier that week. It would reliably spit out a round when the bolt carrier group stopped its rearward motion. Caused nasty malfunctions.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Any of these "problem" mags new or have they been used for a while? Looks like a case of spreading out in the pics posted.

The following is supplied as a data point only.

I went ahead and spot checked some of my in-free-state-storage mags the other day; all are GEN M2 PMAG30.
    Markings are as follows for 12 loaded mags:
    Code:
    M14    M15  M16
    (11)   (11) (11)
    1.5/16 3/16 2.5/16
    None appear to exhibit 2nd round tilting at this time, and none have the extra "rib." They have been sitting in storage, loaded, for almost a year. No visible lip "spreading" is apparent.

eta: hit "send" before I finished typing.
    I did the informal "smack" test on 3 mags, and other than occasionally being able to pop the top round out of the mag when striking the base hard, I never managed to get the 2nd round to tilt out of position.

eta2: well, this is interesting.
    I just had a fortuitous (?) event happen; went into the safe for something and one of my 10rnd PMAG30 M3 mags fell off the shelf and on the ground. Son-of-a-gun it tilted the 2nd round! In fact the 2nd round is in there so "loosely" that you can move it up with just some slight pressure from your finger nail under the tip of the round.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 09-09-2018 at 06:24 AM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Just looked through all of my PMAGs here, every single one of which is windowed except for the 40 and 20 rounders. One sand colored 40 rounder is labeled 01 and one black 20 rounder is 07. I had four black mags and two sand mags marked 21, one black marked 20, but the vast majority of my mags are the MCTs, all of which are 26. I'll have to keep an eye on the non-MCT mags but have yet to have a problem so far.

It's worth noting that this is a non issue for me in most settings (both match and practice). Most of the time I load a mag, go shoot a stage, etc.

For biathlons/run and gun events it's a huge problem. I'm running 6-15 miles depending on the event, and also doing low crawls, wall climbs, etc.

My new in wrapper M3s that are marked 20 still have the same failure. Some mags are easier to induce than others. I had originally speculated it was an age/use issue and opened a few fresh mags, went to the range to do some sprints, and found the same issue on brand new mags.

The pouches I use are BFG 10 speed singles, BFG 2x M4 pouches, and old Alice clip 3-mag pouches.

Just finished the Legion 9/11 Memorial 10k at Rock Castle this morning. Ran only with "22" marked mags and had zero issues. Mags were a mix of used and new.

Site Supporter
    That number is a mold number.

My Gen3 FDE window mags marked “26” have the divider as does a 40 rounder marked “02.”

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    It's worth noting that this is a non issue for me in most settings (both match and practice). Most of the time I load a mag, go shoot a stage, etc.

For biathlons/run and gun events it's a huge problem. I'm running 6-15 miles depending on the event, and also doing low crawls, wall climbs, etc.

My new in wrapper M3s that are marked 20 still have the same failure. Some mags are easier to induce than others. I had originally speculated it was an age/use issue and opened a few fresh mags, went to the range to do some sprints, and found the same issue on brand new mags.

The pouches I use are BFG 10 speed singles, BFG 2x M4 pouches, and old Alice clip 3-mag pouches.

Just finished the Legion 9/11 Memorial 10k at Rock Castle this morning. Ran only with "22" marked mags and had zero issues. Mags were a mix of used and new.
    You should definitely contact Magpul and let us know what they say. I haven’t actually seen the issue in mine, though I’m sure I could replicate it if I tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    You mean they will replace all the old mags? I have quite a few...
    I cannot speak for Magpul. However, I have seen a few threads in M4C where customers have brought up problems and the Magpul rep said "Contact us directly and we'll take care of you."
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

you sure you want to "out" him like that? poor guy's notifications will hit 100+ in about an hour.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List