Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: PSA: not all PMAGS are created equal

I've noticed they are very good with responding via email - I checked all my Gen M3's and all marked 22, so I should be good to go - I will keep in mind for future purchases - I have a couple dozen of the M3's

This is very interesting. About four years ago, I acquired an AR for the first time. A number of Gen2 & 3 PMAG's were obtained as well. Through the process of learning the platform, and in classes, it became evident that sometimes it was very difficult, if not impossible, to seat a loaded GEN3 on a closed bolt (whether loaded to 30 or 28). Although GEN2's could also be a problem, I usually could seat the magazine.

It was incredibly frustrating and more so because it was inconsistent. Magpul advised it was BCM and BCM indicated their lower receiver was milspec and that Magpul GEN3's were not and therefore the source of the problem. Adjustment of the mag release made a difference, perhaps, but trying to isolate the problem was mind numbing. I checked measurements and even did a bit of filing and sanding to see if the PMAG would work better on a closed bolt. Internet info was inconclusive. I finally gave up and used the GEN2's and GI mags (which never had a problem) and put the GEN3's away.

My GEN3's are "20's". This thread also makes a lot of sense since the seating problem was most evident during classes and competition where the mags were upside down in a carrier and there was a bit of moving around and jostling which could contribute to the second cartridge nosing up.

Magpul was kind of rude about the whole matter treating me like an idiot (admittedly I was a neophyte at the time). Maybe I still am but I will follow up and see what they will do now.

Site Supporter
    Hi all,

I just wanted to contribute my personal experiences to this thread. A few years ago I purchased several M3 PMAGs which exhibited the exact same characteristics as the OP. Mine are version "20" as well. I never had any feeding issues, but I always had trouble inserting these PMAGs into my BCM lower with as few as 5 rounds loaded. It either wouldn't go it, or I needed to exert a forward tilt to get it to lock in place. I had verified that the over-insertion tab was not the culprit. As a result of this thread I contacted Magpul Customer Service and explained the situation in detail. The gentleman replied that I had identified a known issue with early M3 PMAGs and I could ship them all back under warranty and they'd return brand new mags to me. I did this, and 2 weeks later I received a shipment of replacement mags. All of them are version "23". I just loaded a few up with a full 30 rounds of ammo and they are perfect. The top rounds sit perfectly in the magazine, the round insert and sit in place very securely and the mag inserts into my BCM lower like butter with a nice secure click. That is great Magpul customer service. If you are experiencing these problems with your own early M3 PMAGs I'd not hesitate to get them replaced.

Chris

I am happy to report Magpul replaced all of my GEN3 mags. The story conveyed above was the Reader’s Digest version. I had also consulted several in the shooting community who either pled ignorance or that Gen3’s were crap. Very frustrating but a good ending.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I picked up some M3 PMAGs from an online retailer. Just unpacked them. The 30-rounders were all marked 23 and had the nubs to present the rounds correctly. I picked up one each of 10-rd and 20-rd M3 mags just to check. They were both marked 07 and did not have the nubs. Will call Magpul tomorrow and see about getting them swapped out. Glad I only tested the waters with one of each.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List