Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: PSA: not all PMAGS are created equal

Site Supporter
    About the stated problem. Does it make any difference if the mag is or is not loaded to full capacity. I keep mine loaded one less than full capacity because some are difficult to insert if loaded 100%. The lower receiver is S&W, and I had blamed hard insertion on the Smith receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Try just slapping the baseplate or sides of the mag.
    Tried this. Slapping the baseplate pretty hard makes the top round creep forward, which is not great, but other than that, no effect. Except on my palm.

PSA: not all PMAGS are created equal

I have had it happen with 30 and 28 rounds. Most often on a vigorous reload. If the bolt is forward, insertion is super hard. I’ve had to slam the gun mag first onto a nearby object to get it seated.

Lancer AWMs do not have this problem.
    @willie, as much as I’d like to blame S&W because I don’t like their guns, I doubt it has anything to do with it.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 09-19-2018 at 02:54 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    So are my new but old school GI aluminum mags obsolete?

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    About the stated problem. Does it make any difference if the mag is or is not loaded to full capacity. I keep mine loaded one less than full capacity because some are difficult to insert if loaded 100%. The lower receiver is S&W, and I had blamed hard insertion on the Smith receiver.
    I've had it happen with pretty much any amouny of ammo in the mag. Often times I'll end up using partial mags in a biathlon event. I've had the same failure occur with ~15 rds in the mag.

Coincidentally I got a Lancer L5 off the prize table at Rockcastle. Seems pretty nice and having an accurate round count might be beneficial in a RNG event. I'll still see if Magpul will swap my mags, but I may be buying more L5 AWMs.
    Last edited by littlejerry; 09-19-2018 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I've had it happen with pretty much any amouny of ammo in the mag. Often times I'll end up using partial mags in a biathlon event. I've had the same failure occur with ~15 rds in the mag.

Coincidentally I got a Lancer L5 off the prize table at Rockcastle. Seems pretty nice and having an accurate round count might be beneficial in a RNG event. I'll still see if Magpul will swap my mags, but I may be buying more L5 AWMs.
    I do like that the Lancer’s round count is faster to read and more accurate. But they didn’t drop free in my Noveske lower any better than Gen 2 PMAGs which is a big part of the reason I only use M3s and GI mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 09-19-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Thanks for posting this, checked my stash at home and it looks like I have 6 still in wrapper that are model 20 and the rest are 22. Now I need to check my 5 at work and see if they are all 22s or not as I should have 4 more Gen M3 that are 20s somewhere. I know I bought all of mine in 10 packs. Any that I find will be rotated to range mags and replaced.

I’ve noticed I can reliably get Gen 2 mags to do this in a very specific admin load type scenario. My unmarked take home SUV does not have a rifle rack so I have to keep my AR in the cargo area in the back. I carry the rifle to and from the car in a cheap Walmart rifle case. When I put it in the back I unzip the case and lock a magazine in the mag well. I’ve found that if the rifle is laying ejection port up I have to be really careful sliding the magazine in or else the second round pops up and I can’t lock it in. If I’m at the range loading the rifle with the mag well in my workspace and the stock tucked under my elbow the mags seem to load fine.

I also haven’t noticed the Gen 2 mags pop the second round up from just riding around in my plate carrier in the back of the car either. That was guaranteed with the Gen M3 mags that didn’t have the extra nubs.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I just received a box-o-Pmags from Magpul. The new ones. The design appears to prevent the 2nd round override. I can still pry up a round by hand, but it is much more difficult. I'm looking forward to trying these out. It will be great to use PMags again. What other mag can you run over with a truck and it’s still good to go?

MAGPUL: BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER. I love you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Magpul returned my Friday afternoon inquiry first thing monday morning. That is freaking AWESOME customer service. I love these guys. I'll update this thread when I hear back from them about the new mags.

It is very interesting that they say the size of the ammo can contribute to the problem. This has me wondering about reloaded 5.56 using small base dies.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

We did see this in a few instances with some of the older PMAGs that were on the large side of the spec range when used with some ammo that was on the small side of the spec range.

We did add some small ribs on the inside of the mag bodies to accommodate for this.

You should not have this issue with the 40 round PMAGS, unless it is your ammo that is undersized. As far as the Gen2 and GenM3 PMAGS, we can see about having them replaced for you.

When you get the chance, please let us know how many of each PMAG (i.e. Gen2 or GenM3, window or non-window and color as well as capacity) and we will see what we can do for you on this.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 10-01-2018 at 08:16 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Wow. That is pretty damn impressive.

(Hmm... Nah. I don't suppose they'd be interested in sending magazines overseas. Pity, I do have a small pile of Gen2 and mold number 20 Gen3's that were originally supposed to be my serious use mags.)

User Tag List