Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PSA: not all PMAGS are created equal

PSA: not all PMAGS are created equal

Getting ready for my next Run'n'Gun event. I decided to sort through my PMAGS and find the ones that don't seem to seat easily on a closed bolt. Seems like every event I've run in I'll encounter a mag that I just can't seat and it screws my time on a stage.

The culprit mags show a unique failure where the second round in the magazine sticks up:Name:  DSC_0008.jpg
Views: 2406
Size:  19.0 KBName:  DSC_0010.jpg
Views: 2360
Size:  24.3 KB

When this happens the 2 rounds lock on each other and it takes an enormous amount of force to insert the mag. Pushing the tip of the second round down to it's normal position fixes the issue. I can induce this failure by aggressively slapping the bottom and sides of the mag, or by dropping it on dirt/carpet. Not good for someone running and doing obstacles.

Taking a closer look I realized some of my mags just flat out wouldn't allow this to happen. There appears to be a geometry change. Magpul added a 2nd "guide" rib just in front of the feed lip. See below a magazine with the added rib and one without:Name:  DSC_0011.jpg
Views: 2317
Size:  69.1 KB

There is also an external marking which I believe is the version number. I checked all of my M3 PMAGS and they were marked either "20" or "22". Version 20 exhibits the failure, 22 does not. My M2 PMAGS were version 10 and have the same failure.Name:  DSC_0013.jpg
Views: 2354
Size:  60.3 KB

Of all my M3 PMAGS I've got a 50/50 mix of 20's and 22's. I'll be keeping the 20s for practice and to sell off during the next scare.

If you're inspecting a new in wrapper magazine you can see the number without opening the package.

I haven't purchased any PMAGS in a while so I'm not sure if 22 is the most current version or not. I'd expect any number greater than 22 to include the same fix.

I have a couple Gen 3 PMAG's that I bought a couple months ago. Two are marked "22" and one is marked "21." All three have the additional rib.

(Yes I'm bored...)

I just dug through my stash of M3 PMAG's, both windowed and non-windowed. It seems the additional rib was added in 2016 production. All of my 2016 and newer magazines have the additional rib.

I have on occasion have had issue with this. Quickly fixed by pushing the offending round down with a finger. But I also ensured that all the magazines I carry at work and all the magazines I stash in my work vehicle as spares are of the newer production.

Thanks for point this out.

I use M3 PMAGs almost exclusively but I was not aware of this, thank you.

Thnaks for this. Most of mine I got recently but I'll check the stash and set the older style aside and report back if I find anything inconsistent with what's been posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Yup. I’ve been aware of the 2nd round issue with PMags for a long time. This is why I use Lancer AWMs. I’m glad Magpul has finally (quietly) addressed it with an update.

Here’s a pic I posted a while back.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I've identified the same problem with some of my early Pmags. However, I didn't know about the markings. I believe if you contact MagPul, they'll take care of it. I've been meaning to contact MagPul, but on the days I haven't been too lazy, my time has been taken up with procrastination.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I've identified the same problem with some of my early Pmags. However, I didn't know about the markings. I believe if you contact MagPul, they'll take care of it. I've been meaning to contact MagPul, but on the days I haven't been too lazy, my time has been taken up with procrastination.
    You mean they will replace all the old mags? I have quite a few...
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Interesting. I have several Gen 3 PMags I couldn’t use as duty mags because they had this issue with the nose of the second round raising up and making it almost impossible to lock the mag in under a closed bolt. Now that you mention it, they have the “20” stamped on them. I recently bought ten Gen 3 Sand colored mags. I haven’t opened any of the packages but they have “22” stamped on them. I have about 7 of the “20” mags. Are you saying that if I contact Magpul they’ll just replace them with “22” mags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Interesting. I have 1 M3 and one M2 I’ve been using, and neither of them have that extra rib. I also have a stash of new-in-wrap M2, so I doubt they do, either. I got them after followers in GI mags failed on me. All the rest of my 5.56 AR mags are GI surplus that got Magpul followers installed.

User Tag List