Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Switch to S&W 351c from 442?

Site Supporter
    Which end do you hit?

OH, well. I've been tempted by one of the 22 ish snubbies. As said, I had a 317 and hate the trigger. I had a Taurus 94 - junk. I had an older 651. Pretty gun but I found that after 50 rounds of something in 22 Mag (this was many years ago), it got so glued up with residue that the cylinder was immovable. Took a lot of spray to free it up and then a major cleaning. Do more modern 22 mag rounds do that?

If I fired the gun at 7 yards at a paper target, there was a big black smudge of burned crap on the paper.

Nowadays, I have a SS Bearcat for plinking along with a Buckmark. My lightweight J is a 432 as said before.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Which end do you hit?

OH, well. I've been tempted by one of the 22 ish snubbies. As said, I had a 317 and hate the trigger. I had a Taurus 94 - junk. I had an older 651. Pretty gun but I found that after 50 rounds of something in 22 Mag (this was many years ago), it got so glued up with residue that the cylinder was immovable. Took a lot of spray to free it up and then a major cleaning. Do more modern 22 mag rounds do that?

If I fired the gun at 7 yards at a paper target, there was a big black smudge of burned crap on the paper.

Nowadays, I have a SS Bearcat for plinking along with a Buckmark. My lightweight J is a 432 as said before.
    How fast a wheelie builds up enough soot to bind seems to vary widely. My ancient K-22 from my youth is a tack driver and will bind up noticeably in a couple hundred rounds or less. My recent production 351C just got cleaned after about 400 rounds with no noticeable change. Ya never know.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I picked up a brick of Aguila SSS 60 gr to mess with. My plan is to shave the noses with a razor blade progressively shorter until they stabilize to ~50 yards out of my threaded Buck Mark. Then it will be a heavy, quiet, flat nosed round. Hope it also feeds well. Will also test with an FV-SR.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Which end do you hit?

About gunk build up. Some factors can be: improperly cut forcing cone; one or more cylinder throats undersized; timing off and causing misalignent of cylinded throats and forcing cone; and misaligned yoke.

Famous revolver smith Ron Power designed forcing cone reamers to address forcing cone problems. Brownells sells them. The very high pressure .22 Mag seems to have caused its share of issues in small revolvers with gas spitting and erosion being two. Once I sent back to Ruger a new Security-Six with gunk bound cylinder from shooting cast bullets. Ruger recut the forcing cone, and that fixed the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Match ammo is likely to be more reliable than run of the mil 22 LR.
    Yes and I wish I could remember who, but someone has mentioned around here before, that sorting .22 LR by rim thickness is a good way to gauge reliability. If your chamber(s) are cut deep, thicker rim ammo tends to be the most reliable, where as with shallow chambers thicker rims are less reliable. Experimentation will play a role in this. But in general, thinner rims seem to be the most reliable among the ammo (I guess given the way rim-fires work, the compression of the primer is more complete in a thin rim cartridge?

On the whole, Match ammo usually has thinner rims, but also more consistent rim thickness, than cheap stuff. Eley Match has some of the thinnest rims out there, Lapua match has thicker rims, RWS Match is somewhere in between. I never found a significant difference in my pistols between them. But guys doing benchrest rifle shooting, swear that measuring your chamber depth and matching the rim thickness will result in better accuracy and more reliability. I can buy the latter, but I'm not sure I've ever shot well enough for the former to matter.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    This seems to be regarded as a reasonable repository of rimfire geekery.

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Rimfire-A.../dp/B07957WYDS

Haven't read it yet, but mean to at some point.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Likewise, see this link for more.
    http://rimfirecentral.com

i like revolvers. i like rimfire. i have and enjoy (with wadcutters and shorts) taurus and s&w 38 snubbies, and a ruger lcr 22lr. i had a ruger lcr 22wmr and got rid of it, way too much flashbang for too little result. i kept all my 22wmr ammo for great happy fun out of a 5.5” ruger single six. my humble advice matches some others’ here: keep the 642 and get a ruger lcr 22lr. a snubbie 22wmr, even with handgun specific ammo, isn’t worth it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Yes and I wish I could remember who, but someone has mentioned around here before, that sorting .22 LR by rim thickness is a good way to gauge reliability. If your chamber(s) are cut deep, thicker rim ammo tends to be the most reliable, where as with shallow chambers thicker rims are less reliable. Experimentation will play a role in this. But in general, thinner rims seem to be the most reliable among the ammo (I guess given the way rim-fires work, the compression of the primer is more complete in a thin rim cartridge?

On the whole, Match ammo usually has thinner rims, but also more consistent rim thickness, than cheap stuff. Eley Match has some of the thinnest rims out there, Lapua match has thicker rims, RWS Match is somewhere in between. I never found a significant difference in my pistols between them. But guys doing benchrest rifle shooting, swear that measuring your chamber depth and matching the rim thickness will result in better accuracy and more reliability. I can buy the latter, but I'm not sure I've ever shot well enough for the former to matter.
    I also cannot shoot well enough to matter. However, my understanding is that ideally the bullet should exit at either one end or the other of the barrel’s vibration, at which point it will be the most stationary. Is it possible that rim thickness changes the distance the bullet travels through the barrel just enough to affect whether it is leaving at one end of a vibration or somewhere in the middle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    I say no. Ideally, having uniform rim thickness will give more uniform ignition. Rim fire rifle purists claim that in some cases a stronger hammer spring will give more uniform ignition. The chambers that we see in revolvers and Walmart .22 rifles are not target chambers which are held to strict dimensions. High dollar .22rim fire ammo is available but most of us would not or could not tell the difference. I bought a large batch one time at an estate sale. It was made by Lapua. I shamefully rolled tin cans with it.

Uniform ignition is important in a rim fire case because ignition uniformity contributes to pressure uniformity. In the small rim fire case, pressure uniformity reduces variation in velocity. Hence accuracy is enhanced. These same factors are at play in all ammunition, but are viewed as critical in rim fire ammunition. Great variation exist among rim fire brands. At one time Remington was a premium brand but is now considered poor. Many cite Federal's version designed to function well in semi auto's as accurate and problem free. This version has the term auto or automatic in its title. The serious rim fire shooter searches for an offering that is reliable in his particular weapon. If you shoot enough rim fire, you will misfires. In packs of 10 boxes making up a brick, you might shoot 6 boxes, and if they go bang and extract ok, then you will have 4 boxes for serious use. And this sample is small.
    Last edited by willie; 10-29-2018 at 11:03 PM. Reason: additional information

User Tag List